The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/index.php)
-   The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   Restoring Rusty (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/showthread.php?t=645440)

Gregski 07-10-2016 11:41 AM

Re: Restoring Rusty

~ Now Off To A Birthday Party, I hate stopping like that midway through, but sometimes life gets in the way! ~

Gregski 07-10-2016 11:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MikeB (Post 7648103)
Used those last year on my truck motor. Just as nice as the higher priced spread, IMO.

Great to hear, thanks for the feedback, and the pic

Quote:

Originally Posted by MikeB (Post 7648103)
I bought them because it was supposed to be a "budget build". But just bought some upgraded valve train parts, and am looking at replacing my $150 worth of cast iron manifolds with headers. With my luck the plug wires won't work with headers. But, hey, this thread is your rant.;)

Um yeah, I saw those manifolds in your pic and was like damn, smart man, and those be nice, than I read on and I was like oh oh, so here's a tip for you setup a Cuss Jar before you go bolting on those headers and you should be in the green in no time, ha ha (I constantly talk to my Hookers)

Gregski 07-12-2016 01:35 AM

well after attending three birthday parties this weekend it was time to get back to work on the truck

I made one mistake in terms of making my own spark plug wires

I should have tested the wires for resistance before cutting and building them

MSD makes two types of wires (that I know of) their high end Super Duper Conductor wires RATED AT 50 OH MY GOSHes per foot and their cheaper ones called the Street Fire RATED AT 500 OHMs per foot (we got the Street Fire ones) hold on to that thought

... but all is not lost, just wanted to give you that tip

Gregski 07-12-2016 01:51 AM

so after The Greg made all his 8 wires this is how they tested in terms of resistance, now keep in mind the magic number is 500 Ohms per foot

#1 - 26" long scored 5,600 so 2,584 Ohms per foot - BAD

#2 - 26" long read 5400 so 2,492 Ohms per foot - BAD

#3 - 25" long read 1020 so 489 Ohms per foot - GOOD

#4 - 25" long read 1050 so 504 Ohms per foot - GOOD

#5 - 36" long read 1,418,000 so 472,666 Ohms per foot - INSANE

#6 - 20" long read 873 so 523 Ohms per foot - GOOD

#7 - 22" long read 911 so 546 Ohms per foot - GOOD

#8 - 22" long read 53,800 so 29,345 Ohms per foot - TERRIBLE

NOTE: 22" and 26" are standard generic universal wire standard lengths, so four of the wires I made were sort of a wasted effort

Gregski 07-12-2016 01:59 AM

4 Attachment(s)
here's a picture of #8 and it shows that the problem was not with my crimping but even after I cut the crimped ends off the wire still read high

Note how the Multimeter is set to 200K Ohms that's 200 thousand, so 200,000 is the scale, so 50.3 x 1,000 = 50,300 Ohms

Gregski 07-12-2016 02:05 AM

3 Attachment(s)
now I never made my own spark plug wires before so I decided to cut them in such a way that if things went South I could maybe recover by being able to make another wire from the part of the long wire that I cut off

so for example if I had to make a 22" wire I did not make it out of the 31" one but I used the 55" instead that way I could make two 22" wires out of it if need be, follow me Vern?

anyway this way I had enuff wire to make another 22" wire for #8 also MSD threw in 3 extra crimp ends so I was golden

this time when making the wire I tested along every step of the process

so cut the wire to length and test it

crimp one end and test it

crimp the other end and test it

and it turned out good, it now reads 948 so 517 Ohms per foot - GOOD

Gregski 07-12-2016 02:09 AM

1 Attachment(s)
I also made a new #5 wire though its now only 32" long but with some creative re routing it works, it reads 1322 so 495 Ohms per foot - GOOD

Note: I had to remove and reuse one of the crimped ends but taking my time I was able to pry it off with a small flat screw driver and a 12oz can of Bud Light

Gregski 07-12-2016 02:17 AM

1 Attachment(s)
hey look fellers if I am going through all the trouble of making my own wires I do want them to be perfect you know what I'm sayin'

so I think I have enough wire to make one more 26" one, to replace #1 and I will use the extra coil wire they provided to make a new #2 wire it is also 26"

I think I will be giving MSD a call tomorrow, interesting that they included such a card along with their product, hmmm makes one wonder how many "difficulties" people had with their product

you know what? 50% failure rate that ain't too good!

RDrancher 07-12-2016 07:14 AM

Wow, that's not good! Makes me wonder if their pre-cut sets are within spec...or any other brand for that matter.

MikeB 07-12-2016 03:21 PM

Mine are MSD Street Fires like yours, so I just went out and measured them. Only did five wires due to attack of laziness.

nos 1 and 2: approx 1.9K (They are the longest, so this makes sense)
nos 5 and 7: approx 950 ohms
no 4: 1.45K

So, I'm gonna call mine good until I get motivated to do the remaining three. It's hot out there!

Will probably have to make new wires when I install headers, so will go with better MSD or Taylor wires then.

For what it's worth, I read where brand new carbon core wires have 10K ohms/ft resistance or more.

MikeB 07-12-2016 03:32 PM

The MSD Heli-core wires come with this type terminals. Not that they would have solved your problems, but they make for a better crimp than folding the conductor down between jacket and terminal. Unfortunately they don't seem to make Heli-Core sets anymore, so the next step up is insanely expensive Super Conductor sets. Hello Taylor Spiro Pro!

https://images.msdperformance.com/SP....jpg?width=560

Gregski 07-12-2016 11:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MikeB (Post 7650932)
Mine are MSD Street Fires like yours, so I just went out and measured them. Only did five wires due to attack of laziness.

nos 1 and 2: approx 1.9K (They are the longest, so this makes sense)
nos 5 and 7: approx 950 ohms
no 4: 1.45K

So, I'm gonna call mine good until I get motivated to do the remaining three. It's hot out there! ...

Good job, now catch a second wind and finish the other three, ha ha

Gregski 07-12-2016 11:43 PM

OK, I just rebuilt the #2 spark plug wire and the resistance went down from 5400 to 967 so 483 Ohms per foot - Outstanding

and I also made a new # 1 spark plug wire and it went down from 5600 to 985 so 492 Ohms per foot - Spot On

well the good news is I can now build spark plug wires in my sleep, ha ha

Gregski 07-16-2016 10:48 AM

4 Attachment(s)
fellow truckers just wanted to give you a quick update on what The Greg has been up to, check it out last Thursday was a 50% Off sale at the local Pick N Pulls, so I found this 1977 with some goodies on it

Gregski 07-16-2016 10:53 AM

4 Attachment(s)
so although I was broke I scrounged up some moneys to get a couple things

1. I bought a manual steering box if for nothing else to use it as a core trade in for when I buy a brand new one. I paid $40 bucks for it and the core trade in value is $150 so I should come up ahead on this.

yeah still considering the power steering to manual conversion (like an idiot, I know)

glad this was an easy pull cause it was over 100°F by the time I got to the yard, it was so hot the metal wheel barrel handles that they loan you were burning my hands

Gregski 07-16-2016 10:57 AM

a little rant about Pick N Pull pricing scheme, so say you want a steering box like I did, ok so you do a little research and you look up the price and it's NOTHING, cheap, ok, then you go there and you pull the part and you go to pay for it, and this is how it goes

oh, is this from a car or a truck, oh a truck ok well its that much more

oh it still has a pitman arm on it so that's more for that

oh do you have a core to trade it, no, ok so its $10 bucks more for a core charge

ok, than there's some BS disposal fee

ok than there's taxes

blah blah blah

mind you $40 was the 50% off price so otherwise I would have had to pay $80 for this piece of junk

Gregski 07-16-2016 11:00 AM

3 Attachment(s)
2. I found this Hurst 3 speed shifter so I bought it, for the stick mostly, I paid $15 bucks for it, if the transmission was a 4 speed it would have come home with me too

the truck appears to have been an automatic that was converted to a stick

Gregski 07-16-2016 11:03 AM

so for now these things go in my Git To It Sum Day Pile - GTISDP, along with the new(ish) seat, clutch radiator fan, and what ever I have already forgotten about... I'm sure you know how that goes - but gentlemen The Greg is still having fun so its just a matter of time as it always be

Gregski 07-16-2016 12:26 PM

Re: Restoring Rusty - Door Weatherstripping

3 Attachment(s)
Door weatherstripping showed up from Classic Parts, I hope to get these on this weekend, I forgot to buy the special glue / adhesive from them so I hope maybe one of youz can recommend the proper one to use, thanks

I think I only paid like $30 bucks for the pair for these, score!

Jeramy 07-16-2016 07:41 PM

3m 08001. comes in a tube like rtv silicone. is yellow and slimy looking but once sticks is stuck. commonly referred to as gorilla snot around my area.

they also make it in black if you don't want yellow part number 08008

Gregski 07-17-2016 11:57 AM

2 Attachment(s)
so then it was time to excavate the old weather strip off of the driver side, it too had the optional (not available till 78) rubber on the door itself - I am not going to install that one unless absolutely necessary "I want to keep the stock as original as possible" [ahem] pronounced I'm cheap! ha ha

hey did I just quote myself, whoa that's deep

Gregski 07-17-2016 12:05 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by Jeramy (Post 7655258)
3m 08001. comes in a tube like rtv silicone. is yellow and slimy looking but once sticks is stuck. commonly referred to as gorilla snot around my area.

they also make it in black if you don't want yellow part number 08008

thank's bud, I did see that one at Pep Boys, but I didn't get it cause I didn't know if the black was the same strength as the yellow (you never know with these things) or how much I would actually need to do both sides of the cab

anywho, it is worth noting that the yellow stuff (part # 08002) comes in a 2 oz tube and costs about the same as the black stuff which comes in a 1 oz tube (part # 03602)

also notice all the ways on the right Permatex got in the game too with their Super Weatherstrip Adhesive looks like its about half the cost of the 3M (pronounced: stay away from it, cause I bet its half as good)

now I aint splitting hairs here folks I am just trying to give you a report from the field, as it is a jungle out there, so wear a hat and sun block, hee hee and don't jump in the pool until 2 hours after you ate (any of youz old enuff to recall that nonsense) any of you still tell yer kidz that, ha ha

Titomars 07-17-2016 01:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gregski (Post 7655850)
so then it was time to excavate the old weather strip off of the driver side, it too had the optional (not available till 78) rubber on the door itself - I am not going to install that one unless absolutely necessary "I want to keep the stock as original as possible" [ahem] pronounced I'm cheap! ha ha

hey did I just quote myself, whoa that's deep

Actually the weatherstrip on the doors was used on all years. It came standard on Silverados only. Why you ask, because Silverados are/were special ;). One possible reason yours might have them is they were installed at the dealership. We used to install them post warranty for wind noise issues. Back in the day they were a cheap fix, a few dollars a piece from GM Parts Div.

Jeramy 07-17-2016 01:05 PM

sorry part numbers i gave you were for the 5 oz tubes. seriously doubt you would need that much.

Gregski 07-17-2016 09:33 PM

3 Attachment(s)
i was a little taken back by how long the door weather strips are, they are about 13 feet each, wow