The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/index.php)
-   The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   Restoring Rusty (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/showthread.php?t=645440)

TKCR 09-02-2021 03:25 PM

Re: Restoring Rusty

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gregski (Post 8965746)
sorry but that totally made me think of this meme

:lol:

Gregski 09-03-2021 10:33 AM

4 Attachment(s)
so a bit of bad news aka Grinder Update, well even with new brushes and new bearings that thing struggles to spin, gives off a funny smell, and sounds like the ice cube dispenser in my fridge

so I did the right thing and jumped on The eBay and bought another one, also used, also broken aka "For Parts Only" in hopes that out of two broken ones WE (yes you are in on this too after all) WE can end up with maybe one semi quiet non smokey spinner!?

Gregski 09-07-2021 04:29 PM

1 Attachment(s)
praise be to Jeff - we may just be back on track

Gregski 09-07-2021 08:02 PM

3 Attachment(s)
so glad my new angle grinder came with the spring cleaning bench attachment, ha ha

Gregski 09-07-2021 08:04 PM

2 Attachment(s)
after wire wheelin' all the loose rust off the bench seat frame, we got it into the acid bath, looking pretty good

TKCR 09-07-2021 09:36 PM

Good job! It is looking good:metal:

Gregski 09-07-2021 11:26 PM

5 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by TKCR (Post 8967875)
Good job! It is looking good:metal:

Thanks, good enuff for the girls we play checkers with, here it is after the fine wheelin' ready for primer

Gregski 09-07-2021 11:28 PM

2 Attachment(s)
I like to get the cleaned raw metal parts in primer right quick, as they have a tendency to flash rust imediatemente

Gregski 09-07-2021 11:31 PM

1 Attachment(s)
so we ended up with 8 broken springs, and I tell you what, I bet you have more weakened or broken springs in your bench seat than you think, I knew some were gonna brake as I tried to take them out of the frame, but others showed how weak they were only once I took a wire wheel to them and knocked off all the rust

Gregski 09-07-2021 11:33 PM

1 Attachment(s)
had a little assembly line going, these springs are awaiting the dance with the wire wheel

Gregski 09-07-2021 11:35 PM

1 Attachment(s)
and these have already been cleaned, one by one mind you

Fun Level: a solid 2.5

Gregski 09-07-2021 11:36 PM

1 Attachment(s)
all in all I managed to salvage and clean a dozen springs, though only 11 survived as 1 seemed to spring from the angle grinder and go flying into our new neighbor's back yard... allegedly

TKCR 09-08-2021 05:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gregski (Post 8967937)
so we ended up with 8 broken springs, I bet you have more weakened or broken springs in your bench seat than you think,

You are correct about that. One of the things I do, when restoring the seats, is making sure all the springs are good. People just don’t realize that there is a lot of issues hiding under there.

Gregski 09-08-2021 01:00 PM

4 Attachment(s)
and then it was time to make things black

I like to paint with a brush because.... I'm old!

Gregski 09-08-2021 01:03 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Me: Let's paint with a brush so we don't waste that much paint

Also me:

Gregski 09-08-2021 08:02 PM

3 Attachment(s)
then we paintenated the bottom portion

Gregski 09-08-2021 08:03 PM

1 Attachment(s)
even the springs got some love

Gregski 09-08-2021 08:05 PM

3 Attachment(s)
I don't know about you, but I like to finish up my bench seat frame restoration by painting my tail pipes

Gregski 09-08-2021 08:08 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Ah but Greg, surely you did not use that "regular" paint on your exhaust, and went out and bought proper high heat BBQ paint or manifold paint?

Gregski 09-10-2021 10:04 AM

guys I honestly don't know what I did to upset the upholstery gods Vinyllo and Leatherodite but it's been 10 days now since I ordered my bench seat cover from USA1 and no cover yet, not even a shipping confirmation nor a tracking number

So I authored an electronic mail to their customer service department and received this message:

"All seat covers currently have a 8-10 week lead time from order date at this time."

well had I known this I would NOT have ordered from them, I would have raised a calf to full grown cow myself, and liberated it's hide by myself, do you think they should have put that DISCLAIMER on their products page?

hatzie 09-10-2021 11:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gregski (Post 8969000)
guys I honestly don't know what I did to upset the upholstery gods Vinyllo and Leatherodite but it's been 10 days now since I ordered my bench seat cover from USA1 and no cover yet, not even a shipping confirmation nor a tracking number

So I authored an electronic mail to their customer service department and received this message:

"All seat covers currently have a 8-10 week lead time from order date at this time."

well had I known this I would NOT have ordered from them, I would have raised a calf to full grown cow myself, and liberated it's hide by myself, do you think they should have put that DISCLAIMER on their products page?

It would be better customer relations to at least put this in the shipping selection area of the checkout.
Way too many outfits are frightened to let this information out in the wild. Amazon still claims Free 2 day shipping with PRIME, ummm NOPE, it's seven business days for me if I sacrifice a printer or a calculator on the altar of the appropriate god.

Supply chain interruptions are not going to get better as tensions escalate with China.

TKCR 09-10-2021 02:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gregski (Post 8969000)

You have got to realize, that the cover needs to be made. They are not mass produced and sitting in a warehouse somewhere, like LMC and others. And they have hundreds of orders to fill. When they make them, they do certain colors on certain days. And the same with the different styles and years. Even if you had gotten a cover from me, it would be the same way. I myself, have to wait. Now I do try and stay ahead with the popular covers, that being the 81-87’s in Black and Charcoal. As soon as I sell a seat, I put an order in for another. But sometimes the orders come in faster than I can get covers ordered to be made. Then quess what, we are all waiting. So the same thing is happening at USA1 except on a larger scale. I have one right now, that I have been waiting since April. It is a 1979 Blue with double stitching so it will have the Medallions. So hang in there.

Rich72C10 09-10-2021 04:11 PM

1. I don't have a Square body (I have 72 C10) but "Restoring Rusty" seems like a fun thread to visit.
  2. This thread is 100% Money!
  3. Fun factor: 10 out of 10!

:chevy:

Gregski 09-10-2021 04:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rich72C10 (Post 8969084)
  1. I don't have a Square body (I have 72 C10) but "Restoring Rusty" seems like a fun thread to visit.
  2. This thread is 100% Money!
  3. Fun factor: 10 out of 10!

:chevy:

wow thanks Rich boy do I have something fun in store for you, wait till we work on Dusty my 1971 next year, in the meantime you can pass the time checking out my other build A '54 named Busty - LS Swap !!!

69Tom 09-10-2021 04:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TKCR (Post 8969061)
I have one right now, that I have been waiting since April. It is a 1979 Blue with double stitching so it will have the Medallions. So hang in there.

So question on this, I assume you had to send in your medallions? I've been waiting for my stock seat cover from SMS since April 2020. I might have tried USA1, but their catalog/online pictures suck and I have no idea what I'd be getting if I order something. I doubt they have the correct material for a Cheyenne Super '74 interior, so I continue to wait.

Greg, 8-10 weeks is a walk in the park. :)