The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/index.php)
-   The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   Restoring Rusty (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/showthread.php?t=645440)

Gregski 06-16-2015 07:43 PM

Re: Restoring Rusty

2 Attachment(s)
so after buying yet another can of Herculiner (fourth one I think) I was able to finish the tailgate

Gregski 06-16-2015 07:46 PM

5 Attachment(s)
then it was time to shmeer the back piece of the bed, I am quite proud of the straight line I got using the blue tape, as I decided not to paint all the way to the top

Gregski 06-16-2015 07:48 PM

2 Attachment(s)
I showed a little love for the bed sides by coating the exposed metal section with rusty metal primer, these will get a coat of matching green paint later

Gregski 06-16-2015 07:51 PM

3 Attachment(s)
then it was time to Herculiner the insides of the bed sides (... well until we ran out of coating.... AGAIN!) LOL

flashed 06-16-2015 09:57 PM

Rusty looks better after every update .

greg64 06-16-2015 10:46 PM

Greg, how much volume is in those Herculiner tubs? You're obviously needing a number of cans for the area you're doing.

Gregski 06-16-2015 11:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by flashed (Post 7212277)
Rusty looks better after every update .

Thanks, its a labor of love

Gregski 06-16-2015 11:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by greg64 (Post 7212337)
Greg, how much volume is in those Herculiner tubs? You're obviously needing a number of cans for the area you're doing.

Ding dong, was I supposed to read the fine print on the One [1] U.S. Quart can

One gallon of HERCULINER coating is sufficient to cover one six-foot truck (short) bed or sixty square feet.

An eight-foot truck (long) bed will require one additional quart of coating.

so considerin' I did the underside we may be right on the money with 5 quarts, for a total of $162 bucks, not too shabby.

by the way there is a reason why I was buying one can at a time, for every time I spend $20 at AutoZone I get a point and after 5 points I get $20 bucks off next purchase, as I write this I have redeemed $440 dollars already, kaching!

Chrispbrown36 06-17-2015 09:37 AM

I was wondering why you didn't just buy a gallon. If you have Advance Auto Parts near you their rewards program is even better than Autozones. For every $30 you spend you get a $5 coupon and for each $100 spent you get $30 coupon.

Gregski 06-17-2015 09:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chrispbrown36 (Post 7212633)
I was wondering why you didn't just buy a gallon.

Their product only comes in a quart can, unless you mean why didn't I buy 4 cans all at once, well again to get the points, and because some AutoZones only had 1 can left on the shelf. But the stores are located by my work or by my house so its not a big deal to make another store run especially since it gets me out of wire wheelin some rust, hee hee

Chrispbrown36 06-17-2015 10:06 AM

I thought Herculiner used to come in gallons too? I can understand wanting to get away from wire wheeling....I have managed to avoid it completely so far...but it won't last forever!

Gregski 06-17-2015 11:05 PM

2 Attachment(s)
ok got a fifth quart of Herculiner and finished the bedlining

Gregski 06-17-2015 11:07 PM

3 Attachment(s)
alright then it was on to the other side

Gregski 06-17-2015 11:09 PM

2 Attachment(s)
then I cleaned the frame some more, this is very laboreous work mind you

I'm dreading doing the insides of these frame rails

Gregski 06-17-2015 11:11 PM

4 Attachment(s)
the cross sections were not too bad

thinking about just removing the spare tire piece all together

and I have no idea how I am going to get under the cab to clean that last cross member

Gregski 06-17-2015 11:15 PM

Re: Restoring Rusty - Back Attack

alright well this is embarrassing but this morning while hunched over the frame rail, just starring at it I twisted my back and literally dropped to my knees and crawled inside the garage on all fours, I was in so much pain

this happened once before in a freak putting on my pants accident, LOL

anyway this time it wasn't that bad I still went into work, but took the day off from working on the truck, I have no idea how I am going to put the bed together I can't even lift the tailgate by myself right now

I'm sure any of you with lower back pain can relate, it can really put you out of commission

Titomars 06-17-2015 11:50 PM

Re: Restoring Rusty - Back Attack

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gregski (Post 7213486)
alright well this is embarrassing but this morning while hunched over the frame rail, just starring at it I twisted my back and literally dropped to my knees and crawled inside the garage on all fours, I was in so much pain

this happened once before in a freak putting on my pants accident, LOL

anyway this time it wasn't that bad I still went into work, but took the day off from working on the truck, I have no idea how I am going to put the bed together I can't even lift the tailgate by myself right now

I'm sure any of you with lower back pain can relate, it can really put you out of commission

Welcome to the club!! I did almost the same thing 2 weeks ago. I got to spend 1 week in bed or on the couch. it was even hard to move doing the all fours routine. I am on sedentary duty at work. Which is basically paperwork duty. I am also still on Percosets and muscle relaxers. I am going crazy not being able to work on my vehicles. I feel for you Greg, I'm there too!

Chaplain 06-18-2015 12:18 AM

I went through something similar "back" in the winter. It was following my first month of disassembly of my truck and the running of a half marathon in cool weather. My shoulder and neck had me down. It was so bad my wife was concerned when she noticed I had not been working on the truck.

Long story short, I'm nearly fifty and I don't bounce "back" like I used to. MRI showed degenerative disk disease. As a result, I did eight weeks of pt. I was offered a nerve block but I decided to take full advantage of the pt and tough it out.

Take of yourself dear sir.

Rich84 06-18-2015 10:16 AM

Turned 51 today..Sure don't bounce back like I used too.

But back pain is probably the worst thing that can happen to anyone..

Be well..

hatzie 06-18-2015 11:55 AM

I have a chiro that puts my spine back where it belongs when I screw up.
He gave me PT exercises as well to strengthen the muscles where my back likes to slip out. I started exercising them after the spasms etc calmed down somewhat. The combination works quite well.

rusty76 06-18-2015 07:40 PM

My work involves some heaving lifting, crawling, climbing and hunched over for hours. When I first threw my back out I took time off and it got worse. The last several times I've just worked through the pain. There's no light duty at my work. So you just tough it out. I've done nothing but put my shoes on or lay across the bed and my back goes south. I dislike back pain. Hope you get to feeling better soon.

68Timber 06-18-2015 10:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rusty76 (Post 7214276)
My work involves some heaving lifting, crawling, climbing and hunched over for hours. When I first threw my back out I took time off and it got worse. The last several times I've just worked through the pain. There's no light duty at my work. So you just tough it out. I've done nothing but put my shoes on or lay across the bed and my back goes south. I dislike back pain. Hope you get to feeling better soon.

No joke, after the first time the threshold just keeps getting lower. I've torqued mine up just making the pivot to get out of the truck before.

Hope you feel better soon, or at least good enough to get back to work.:lol:

greg64 06-18-2015 11:02 PM

Good luck Greg. I hurt my back about 18 months ago, and it took more than a week before I could even walk normally, never mind lifting anything. Visited a chiropractor a number of times. I'm 43.

Gregski 06-19-2015 09:17 AM

Re: Restoring Rusty - Chaos On Wheels

Thank you all for sharing your back problem stories and words of kindness and encouragement. It's day 3 and it's not much better, but The Greg will bounce back.

Just wanted to share this Bomb Shell with you, I think I mentioned it earlier but now we know for sure, we have to move to another house by the end of the month. That's right the truck is in pieces, my back is out, and we have 10 days to move out.

I thought we wouldn't be moving till the end of July, but hey The Greg will find a way, stay tuned this should be chaos on wheels.

rich weyand 06-19-2015 10:51 AM

Get thee to a chiropractor. Ask around for a good one.

I destroyed part of my back (herniated disk at L4-L5, and dislocated the ones on either side of it) 30 years ago. A chiropractor got me back into shape. I have gone to the chiropractor once a month to keep things where they should be for the last 30 years.

It's kept me out of surgery and out of pain. Anyone I know who ever had disks fused eventually had more problems.