The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/index.php)
-   The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   Restoring Rusty (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/showthread.php?t=645440)

Gregski 01-06-2015 10:27 PM

Re: Restoring Rusty - TCS Idle Stop Solenoid

1 Attachment(s)
the fourth component the TCS Idle Stop Solenoid attaches to the front of the carburetor, shiny bit in the photos, and is there to prevent dieseling

Gregski 01-06-2015 10:37 PM

Re: Restoring Rusty - TCS Transmission Switch

1 Attachment(s)
the fifth and the final component is the TCS Transmission Switch located on the lower driver side of the transmission, I plan just to unplug it and leave it there

mine is grimmy but it should look something like this

rusty76 01-07-2015 07:04 PM

Re: Restoring Rusty

Thanks for the info!

Super_Dave 01-08-2015 03:13 AM

Re: Restoring Rusty - TRANSMISSION CONTROL SPARK SYSTEM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gregski (Post 6988630)

so if I may borrow a term from the Import Crowd, I will be "deleting" the Transctiption Controlled Spark System, TCS

In our neck of the woods, when we perform certain functions of a similar nature, sometimes involving the use of brass fittings in hot places... we call it "optimizing."

Super_Dave 01-08-2015 03:17 AM

Re: Restoring Rusty - Header Reinstall

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gregski (Post 6985075)
... wish I knew how to keep them from rusting again cause painting bolts hasn't worked for me, the paint just twists right off as I install them, also wish some of these pictures came out better

Fluid Film. Good for a lot of things...
http://www.fluid-film.com/

Gregski 01-08-2015 11:31 PM

Re: Restoring Rusty - Removing the TCS Wiring Harness

2 Attachment(s)
Four of the five Transcmission Controlled Spark System components (the Idle Stop Solenoid being the exception) hang off of the same wiring harness, which plugs in to a single brown wire on the firewall leading to the fuse block.

I was able to unplug the harness from all of them except for the Transmission Switch. It is simply impossible to see how it plugs in, and you have to feel up in there, so I am still unable to disconnect the one last final wire to be able to completely remove this wiring harness.

Gregski 01-08-2015 11:34 PM

Re: Restoring Rusty - Idle Stop Solenoid

2 Attachment(s)
The Idle Stop Solenoid connects to the fuse block using its own single brown wire

Gregski 01-08-2015 11:44 PM

Re: Restoring Rusty - Engine Wiring Harness

2 Attachment(s)
I am one of those people who needs to know where things go, wants to know where they go and how they work, so i had to gently unwrap the crusty 40 year old wiring harness.

Gregski 01-08-2015 11:48 PM

Re: Restoring Rusty - Fuse Block Wiring Harness

3 Attachment(s)
I just like to see where these wires go, so here is the fuse block side getting unwrapped

Gregski 01-08-2015 11:53 PM

Re: Restoring Rusty - Fusible Link

4 Attachment(s)
check out that Fusible Link, looks good right, wait till I unwrap the harness, all of a sudden it doesn't look so good

Gregski 01-08-2015 11:57 PM

Re: Restoring Rusty - Wiring Harness

2 Attachment(s)
yes things have to get uglier before they get better, but at least I got everything laid out, now to clean all the wires to get their color back

Gregski 01-09-2015 12:01 AM

Re: Restoring Rusty - Alternator Wiring

1 Attachment(s)
I don't know about you, but I don't like how these three alternator wires just disappear into the wiring loom, I don't know what happens to them in there, where do they go? Do they all run to the fuse block? Do they attach to another component? Do they change color on the other end?

Gregski 01-09-2015 12:03 AM

Re: Restoring Rusty - Alternator Wires

1 Attachment(s)
time to unwrap the mystery of the Alternator

Gregski 01-09-2015 12:11 AM

Re: Restoring Rusty - Alternator Wiring Schematic For Dummies

1 Attachment(s)
I don't know about you, but wiring diagrams just make no sense to me. I can now relate to how some of the world's greatest musicians say they can not read sheet music. (By no means am I comparing myself to John Bonham, I'm just sayin')

If someone was to show me something as simple as the pic below, with a short write up, I would be good to go in 10 minutes instead of starring at a bunch of black squigly lines

so from left to right

Red wire goes from the bolt on the alternator to this fusible link gizmo on the firewall

Yellow wire goes from the plastic Terminal 1 / Terminal 2 plug from the alternator and is spliced into the same red wire going to the fusilbe link gizmo on the firewall and also changes color to a different red wire that runs to the fuse block

Brown wire goes from the plastic Terminal 1 / Terminal 2 plug from the alternator to the fuse block directly

and I even show the big fat black negative battery terminal wire being grounded to the alternator bracket

maybe this helps somebody out maybe it doesn't, maybe some of you like it, maybe some of you don't, but it makes sense to me

rusty76 01-09-2015 07:10 PM

I don't know a lot about wiring but I know one thing, I must take my time. One thing I've learned over the years is one wire at a time.......lol. Or things go puff.

Chaplain 01-10-2015 12:25 AM

Somebody get this man some answers. I'm learning along with him.

Gregski 01-10-2015 01:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chaplain (Post 6993405)
Somebody get this man some answers. I'm learning along with him.

Thanks, I do get a lot of help from this forum, everybody is very nice.

Gregski 01-10-2015 02:06 AM

Re: Restoring Rusty - New Air Cleaner

3 Attachment(s)
my new retro Cady style air cleaner arrived $113 bucks off eBay including shipping

LMC truck wants $198 bucks for the same one

dang it, just noticed LMC now carries two different styles a smaller taller one and the one I got, it must be new for 2015, check it out

http://www.lmctruck.com/icatalog/cc/full.aspx?Page=173

Chaplain 01-10-2015 02:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gregski (Post 6993472)
Thanks, I do get a lot of help from this forum, everybody is very nice.

Me too...

Nice air cleaner

Gregski 01-10-2015 12:38 PM

Re: Restoring Rusty - Air Cleaner Comparison

3 Attachment(s)
had to snap these pics on our living room hardwood floor (where else right?) before the wife woke up and came downstairs (hmm this must be what if feels like to be Santa, hee hee)

so when ever I give you measurements you just automagically put the word "approximately" in front of them ~ that should keep the lawyers out of it, jk

seriously just trying to help, share information, cause the new Cady air cleaner seems massive no?

so old one is 15" the new one 18" across, the new one does have an indentation in the back for the dizzy

Gregski 01-10-2015 01:12 PM

Re: Restoring Rusty - Cleaning the Transmission

5 Attachment(s)
so after struggling to unplug the Transmission Switch from under the car, it hit me, dope there is a trans cover in the cab, why don't I remove that and see if I can get to this silly switch

turns out the switch was difficult to unplug because the rubber boot around the simple blade plug was so old that it hardened and would not flex or give so I had to pry it up with a flat screw driver

so guess what I will be cleaning for the next four hours till the first playoff football game starts

rgunlock 01-10-2015 03:02 PM

Just caught up with and have been enjoying your build. Wish I'd kept to your approach of leaving the truck pretty much intact and working on a bit at a time, but for some of us just getting started seems to be a slippery slope :) I'm amazed at how good of shape your cab appears to be considering the rust you have elsewhere. Mine had the same baby Godzilla damage anywhere within a foot or so of the battery, but I'd also lost a good bit of the core support under there as well. Any case, keep up the good work!

Gregski 01-10-2015 04:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rgunlock (Post 6994009)
Just caught up with and have been enjoying your build.

Thank you, glad you like it

Quote:

Wish I'd kept to your approach of leaving the truck pretty much intact and working on a bit at a time, but for some of us just getting started seems to be a slippery slope :)

I know exactly what you mean, I did that with my '68 Mustang, everything I removed seemed like I was moving backwards, got overwhelmed, sold it, got depressed and a couple years later found Rusty, man I miss that RUStang

Quote:

Mine had the same baby Godzilla damage anywhere within a foot or so of the battery, but I'd also lost a good bit of the core support under there as well.

Oh, don't count Rusty out yet, if by core support you mean the radiator support then yeah, me too, I need to replace it in the summer, cause it's missing about 18 inches off the bottom right side

Chaplain 01-10-2015 04:12 PM

We must be all be on the same page. That makes three of us. I'm taking a clean up break. I just finished removing my finders and core support...rust city under the battery tray.

Let's keep the momentum going.

Thanks for updating us on your progress.

Gregski 01-10-2015 04:14 PM

Re: Restoring Rusty - Got Some Hookers

5 Attachment(s)
in unrelated news, bought some Hooker "Competition" headers off of Craigslist for $60 bucks, part number 2452 (if you recall my earlier posts, I first picked up some Hedman Hedders which do not fit)

Gregski 01-10-2015 04:17 PM

Re: Restoring Rusty - Header Comparison

2 Attachment(s)
here I will show you the difference between the headers and what to look for at a swap meet so you end up with the right ones

see how the new ones have an almost 45* slant where as the old ones (the bad ones) look like they are a 90*, you want the 45* slant ones to clear the lower control arm

Gregski 01-10-2015 04:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chaplain (Post 6994082)
We must be all be on the same page. That makes three of us. I'm taking a clean up break. I just finished removing my finders and core support...rust city under the battery tray.

Let's keep the momentum going.

Thanks for updating us on your progress.

pics, or it didn't happen, LOL

rusty76 01-10-2015 06:25 PM

Wait till I get my build thread going and then I'll show you some rust.....The core support needs replacing bad. It is both bent and rusted. I hope very soon to get my thread up and going. Just got to do it....lol.

Chaplain 01-10-2015 08:52 PM

I guess I need to start my own thread but since you called me out here's proof.

I started with this:
http://i1233.photobucket.com/albums/...99/image-6.jpg

And ended the day with this:
http://i1233.photobucket.com/albums/...99/image-7.jpg

Core support and inner fender well we're eaten up with Mr. Rust.

Gregski 01-11-2015 11:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chaplain (Post 6994488)
I guess I need to start my own thread but since you called me out here's proof. I started with this: [...]And ended the day with this: ...

OUTSTANDING, man that is a lot of work!

Chaplain 01-11-2015 12:54 PM

Trying to keep pace with you.

Gregski 01-13-2015 11:58 PM

Re: Restoring Rusty - Clean Transmission 1

2 Attachment(s)
so it took a couple days but got the transmission cleaned up to where I can tell it's not a bolder but actually a gear box

Gregski 01-13-2015 11:59 PM

Re: Restoring Rusty - Clean Gear Box

2 Attachment(s)
and the other side

now I can actually see the part numbers (which reminds me I should go write them down)

green72s 01-14-2015 12:55 AM

Wow, that looks great. You're doing a fantastic job.

Chaplain 01-14-2015 02:00 AM

Just to make sure we're all on the same page what did you use to get results like that?

Gregski 01-14-2015 02:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by green72s (Post 7002761)
Wow, that looks great. You're doing a fantastic job.

Thank you, projects like this make me feel like an Automotive Archaeologist!

Gregski 01-14-2015 02:07 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by Chaplain (Post 7002838)
Just to make sure we're all on the same page what did you use to get results like that?

Hammer and a chisel of course

Gregski 01-14-2015 02:17 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by Chaplain (Post 7002838)

OK, seriously I used Mineral Spirits from Home Depot and paper towels mostly. But this was the toughest thing I ever cleaned so I used the different flat screw drivers sort of like chisels but not Gorilla like and the putty knife. Cheap single use wire brushes from Harbor Freight $2.00 bucks for the set. Cleaning a part like this on the truck or inside the truck is tough. You can't reach things easily I did slice up my hands a bit.

Here is the key, work on it for an hour or two then walk away. I did this over a three day period, I am not bragging the results are OK, but it is tedious work. So Saturday I think I started and did 4 hours, then on Sunday 2 hours before the football games then maybe another 2 at night, and then today after work maybe a good 4 hours on it.

Chaplain 01-14-2015 02:26 AM

Alrighty then...

Gregski 01-14-2015 02:29 AM

Re: Restoring Rusty - Neutral/ Reverse Wiring Harness

2 Attachment(s)
so I remembered why I cleaned the transmission in the first place, I needed to unplug the TCS system wiring harness and reroute the neutral / backup lights wiring harness

the light green / dark green neutral/reverse wiring harness runs under the transmission tunnel up the fire wall in the engine bay and enters the cab under the brake booster... why?

I ran mine out the transmission cover and directly into the cab then made a left to where it plugs in under the dash, to do so I had to take off the plug to be able to feed it through the small hole in the firewall

here I show you how to carefully remove the flat blade wire connector from the plug without damaging it or having to cut the wire and re crimp, just press on one side of the blade and it comes right out, good to know