The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/index.php)
-   The 1960 - 1966 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/forumdisplay.php?f=6)
-   -   Correct black paint for stock steel wheels? (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/showthread.php?t=822884)

weim55 06-18-2021 04:33 PM

Correct black paint for stock steel wheels?

I have one good original wheel with almost no wear or weathering and the original black paint seems to be somewhere in the middle of chassis black and gloss black(?) anyone know how I could source correct paint for original wheels in a stock application?

Steve weim55 Colorado
Posted via Mobile Device

cryowagon 06-19-2021 01:58 PM

Re: Correct black paint for stock steel wheels?

I'd like to know too. I've never read anything in GM literature other than "black." I would've assumed that they'd be the same gloss black used on the body, since two tone trucks used body colored wheels. It makes sense though, that the wheel manufacturer may have used a semi-gloss black and that GM just left them that way unless it was a two toned truck. Hopefully someone can enlighten us.

oem4me 06-19-2021 04:16 PM

A quality semi-gloss black will get you close. I'm not even sure if the factory was totally consistent on the level of gloss used on standard wheels. I can tell you it's not high gloss, and not satin either, but somewhere in between.

cwcarpenter98 06-19-2021 04:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by oem4me (Post 8934249)
A quality semi-gloss black will get you close. I'm not even sure if the factory was totally consistent on the level of gloss used on standard wheels. I can tell you it's not high gloss, and not satin either, but somewhere in between.

That's good to know, thanks. I've got a set of wheels that need some black paint on them for that stock-ish look

60-66 06-21-2021 07:19 PM

Quote:

Possible reason for the different black you might be seeing is there were several different wheel makers for GM. Im assuming the wheel maker painted them black before being shipped . Definitely not gloss , I would and always have gone semi gloss

weim55 06-21-2021 07:44 PM

Quote:

Agreed, the middle, kinda.... Seems to be shade just slightly flatter than gloss. I might just hit the paint supplier and ask for just that.

Steve weim55 Colorado