The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/index.php)
-   The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   Starter Question (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/showthread.php?t=836327)

bwhite220 07-17-2022 02:06 PM

Starter Question

I have a 1970 GMC that occasionally will not fire up when I turn the key. The lights come on, but nothing from the starter. If I use the 'ol "hit the starter with a hammer" trick, it fires right up.

I'm tired of doing that and it's embarrassing when I'm in public. :waah:

Looking at replacing the starter and it seems like the Summit Racing Mini High-Torque Starters (SUM-829105) get a lot of praise for it's output and longevity. Anyone have any good/bad experiences with them? Or, do you recommend a different/better starter?

Thank you in advance! :metal:

Steeveedee 07-17-2022 02:29 PM

Re: Starter Question

I have a Hitachi (I think) that has been on my truck, that I got at a local speed shop. Works fine, but longevity is unknown, since I've only driven it about 10k miles in 10 years.

72SB 07-17-2022 03:08 PM

1 Attachment(s)
IMHO a Remy starter from Rockauto will be fine. I get the "gear reduction" type (aka mini starter) for around $75. Gear reduction starters are smaller, lighter and provide considerably more "cranking" RPM's than conventional starter

Here is a X reference chart for REMY starters showing conventional to gear reduction and also if they are 1 vs 2 wire. I have the 153 tooth SBC 2 wire (with R terminal) on my 67 Camaro and will get the same if/when I need one for the C10

Steeveedee 07-17-2022 04:10 PM

^ I paid a bit more for my starter. That was before I saw this style mentioned here. I'll replace it if it ever goes bad.

DA71Grande 07-17-2022 10:19 PM

I got this acdelco starter that’s been on my truck for sometime haven’t had any issues…

https://www.summitracing.com/parts/ado-337-1022

bwhite220 07-17-2022 10:24 PM

I’m rolling the dice and going with the one I posted. Talked to a few of the local guys who have trucks similar to mine and they love it and have had no issues. Here goes nothing.

franken 07-17-2022 10:45 PM

If turning the key to start doesn't do anything there's a solenoid issue. It's also likely to be a wiring issue.
Rather than throwing parts at it maybe try some troubleshooting. What's the voltage to the solenoid case from the S-terminal with the key in the start position?
Maybe loosen and tighten all the electrical connections for the starter and solenoid.

NGN 07-17-2022 11:42 PM

I have my original starters and alternators rebuilt by a father and son only, small shop. Been doing business with the dad for over forty two years, never had any issue and cool dudes just to stop in and shot the breeze with, small talk there busy. Good luck with yours.
Take care

72c20customcamper 07-18-2022 09:18 AM

I use Powermaster starters in all my vehicles . Stock starters quit quickly I bought a cheaper I think DB Electric mini starter in my chevelle it lasted 2 years . The Powermaster is now 4 years and not one problem . I have since put them in all my trucks too .

Good quality and made in USA

1967-C10 07-20-2022 12:28 PM

for intermittent no start, your starter solenoid has a large copper washer inside that makes contact to engage the starter motor.
Over time the washer becomes non conductive in spots due to the arcing of engaging solenoid.
to fix remove starter solenoid, disassemble, flip large copper washer over, clean up copper contact stud, and you will have a solenoid that functions reliable like new. your best alternative is a gear reduction starter.
good luck !

Southcity 07-20-2022 01:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by franken (Post 9102812)
If turning the key to start doesn't do anything there's a solenoid issue. It's also likely to be a wiring issue.
Rather than throwing parts at it maybe try some troubleshooting. What's the voltage to the solenoid case from the S-terminal with the key in the start position?
Maybe loosen and tighten all the electrical connections for the starter and solenoid.

Sound advise from franken. Doing a little troubleshooting first is free and won't take much time.
1.Disconnect your battery first
2.Try to get under the truck and do a visual of the starter, wires, state of connections/terminals, battery cable (anything dirty, loose, frayed etc?)
3.Check to ensure the starter itself is not loose (starter bolts)
4.Reconnect battery and try to start checking voltages as franken mentioned above

This will give you piece of mind and ensure all starter related systems/wiring are in good shape and help determine if you really need a new starter or not.
With that said, I have had very good reliability and performance from many different mini starter brands: Summit, Powermaster, GM reduction starters etc.

jaros44sr 07-20-2022 08:24 PM

put the right starter bolts in it now, save breaking a block

jaros44sr 07-20-2022 08:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 1967-C10 (Post 9103678)
for intermittent no start, your starter solenoid has a large copper washer inside that makes contact to engage the starter motor.
Over time the washer becomes non conductive in spots due to the arcing of engaging solenoid.
to fix remove starter solenoid, disassemble, flip large copper washer over, clean up copper contact stud, and you will have a solenoid that functions reliable like new. your best alternative is a gear reduction starter.
good luck !

didn't know that, cool

Dead Parrot 07-20-2022 08:42 PM

While the OP is trying a new starter, for others with a similar issue, a starter that works when 'hit with hammer', could have bad brushes. A few years ago when mine did this, a set of brushes was a $4 fix.