The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/index.php)
-   The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   Non AC blower motor Relay (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/showthread.php?t=567214)

Smitz70 02-21-2013 02:40 AM

Non AC blower motor Relay

Hey guys long time reader... 1st post.

I have read over the posts about this & all I can find are A/C setups.

I have a 1970 c10 (non AC) that has had the wiring "rearanged".

The wiring inside the truck is intact & I have a new fan switch. I know the resistor is inside the heater box.

My question is where is the relay on a Non AC truck?

There is, what appears to be a relay, above the fan motor on the engine side of the firewall; with a gorund tab screwed to the firewall and 3 wire connectors (labled L, B, & S).

Is this my fan relay? If so how is it wired?

I have one orange wire coming from the resistor through the firewall. Does this connect to the fan motor or a relay?

P.S. Pics are great, and I am color blind; so wire color may be hit or miss..

I know it's alot of questions.. Thanks in advance.

Smitz

LockDoc 02-21-2013 11:01 AM

Re: Non AC blower motor Relay

Quote:

Originally Posted by Smitz70 (Post 5902878)
Hey guys long time reader... 1st post.

I have read over the posts about this & all I can find are A/C setups.

I have a 1970 c10 (non AC) that has had the wiring "rearanged".

The wiring inside the truck is intact & I have a new fan switch. I know the resistor is inside the heater box.

My question is where is the relay on a Non AC truck?

There is, what appears to be a relay, above the fan motor on the engine side of the firewall; with a gorund tab screwed to the firewall and 3 wire connectors (labled L, B, & S).

Is this my fan relay? If so how is it wired?

I have one orange wire coming from the resistor through the firewall. Does this connect to the fan motor or a relay?

P.S. Pics are great, and I am color blind; so wire color may be hit or miss..

I know it's alot of questions.. Thanks in advance.

Smitz

There isn't a relay on non A/C trucks. The orange wire connects directly to the blower motor.

LockDoc

Smitz70 02-21-2013 01:19 PM

Cool. Thanks Lockdoc, for the quick reply. I dont know what that relay is for but if it is not for my fan I will not worry about it right now.

One more issue.. When I move the fan switch, I get 12v at high position, nothing on the other positions. Is this the resistor?

LockDoc 02-21-2013 03:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Smitz70 (Post 5903567)
Cool. Thanks Lockdoc, for the quick reply. I dont know what that relay is for but if it is not for my fan I will not worry about it right now.

One more issue.. When I move the fan switch, I get 12v at high position, nothing on the other positions. Is this the resistor?

I would think so unless your new switch is faulty. There are 2 wire coils on the resistor board, see if one of them is broken. Gently pry the wiring plug off with a small screw driver, working from side to side. It takes a 5/16 nut driver to remove the two hex head screws

Leon.

1970 C10 MJW 02-21-2013 05:18 PM

im surprised you have been able to go almost 6 years without posting lol

Smitz70 02-21-2013 09:01 PM

I try to spend more time in the garage than on the internet. :D

I thank you guys for the prompt replys!

Whats the best source for the fan & motor, on the cheap?

LockDoc 02-21-2013 11:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Smitz70 (Post 5904294)
I try to spend more time in the garage than on the internet. :D

I thank you guys for the prompt replys!

Whats the best source for the fan & motor, on the cheap?

O' Reileys or Autozone I guess.. The same unit was used for a lot of years and vehicles, Corvair even used the same exact one as our trucks.

LockDoc