The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/index.php)
-   Tools, Shops and Shop Safety (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/forumdisplay.php?f=89)
-   -   Underground air line (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/showthread.php?t=820306)

pwdcougar 04-03-2021 02:52 PM

Underground air line

I’m planning a pole barn about 45’ away from my existing garage. I’d like to leave my air compressors where they are and put an underground line to the pole barn so I don’t have to listen to them and to save space.

Anyone ever done this? Is it possible?

Thanks

Paul
Posted via Mobile Device

Killer Bee 04-04-2021 03:32 AM

Re: Underground air line

pvc should be sufficient but copper would probably be better.. you could even consider burying larger pvc and pulling some 3/4" or 1" flexible tubing thru for serviceability..

burial depth and materials may vary by location so may want to consult with local plumber for advice, code info, etc.. especially if your trenching for any other utilities..

may also want to consider a storage tank in the new building to stabilize temp and air delivery.. of course good FR(L as applicable) and any number of modular plastic quick connect tubing options for distribution manifolds.. various options for mounting couplers..

I even ran full copper distribution in a building once that owner fully polished afterwards :lol:

I had this same idea for the farm and I'll probably do it when I trench the ducts for underground power.. good luck!

franken 04-04-2021 03:54 AM

Interesting writing style from the previous poster.
PVC rots in sunlight so think if it's exposed at any point. PVC bad. I'd also wonder about where water might collect at low points.

Redneck Rydes 04-04-2021 10:07 AM

we have underground line running from the compressor to a inground hoist,been there for 40 years,no problem what so ever

richard2717 04-05-2021 07:41 AM

Paul
I have a 1" rigid Galv. pipe buried from one garage to my big shop that has been there since 97' without issue. It is roughly 20'. It is probably getting time to dig up and replace though since it is the lowest point in the system

Richard

mongocanfly 04-05-2021 11:14 AM

I've been considering the same thing from my main shop out to my pole barn..
Gonna be running some 110 out there anyway for lights and plugs, and want to run airline at the same time ..my compressor is under a side shed on the main shop so pole barn is end of the line..
With it running underground it will be the lowest point..I was worried about it turning into a water trap..
So I'll probably add a reservoir tank out there with a condensate drain..and only valve that section in from the shop when needed..

Notch1988 04-05-2021 07:22 PM

I did this at my last shop and it worked great. Buried 2" PVC electrical conduit with LB's at each building, ran a fish tape and pulled an air hose through from one side to the other. This way if there's ever an issue I can just pull a new hose through and good to go.

mongocanfly 04-05-2021 09:21 PM

Notch, that may be the way I do mine...I could pull my 110v wire and hose at the same time..

pwdcougar 04-05-2021 09:21 PM

Thanks everyone! Now all I need to do is build a pole barn garage!

truckdude239 04-25-2021 03:48 PM

WHAT EVER YOU DO DO NOT USE PVC for air lines pvc when it lets loose will send shapel out