The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/index.php)
-   The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   T Fitting For Hydraulic Brake Controller ? (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/showthread.php?t=826001)

54blackhornet 09-19-2021 02:45 PM

T Fitting For Hydraulic Brake Controller ?

1 Attachment(s)
I have this brass fitting plumed into the front port on my master cylinder. The line exiting goes to a trail brake controller. If I unscrew the line and plug it quickly will I have to bleed the entire system ? The controller itself is starting to leak inside the cab...thanks

54blackhornet 09-19-2021 02:46 PM

Re: T Fitting For Hydraulic Brake Controller ?

Sorry that the photo is sideways.

CastIron 09-19-2021 02:53 PM

There's one way to find out- try it. You could try bleeding it right at the fitting. Just loosen the nut while somebody pushed the pedal. I've replaced master cylinders doing that and been successful.

HO455 09-19-2021 02:58 PM

You won't have to bleed both circuits just the one that the controller is plumbed into. As a short term fix you could crimp the line to the controller to stop or slow the leak.

Wrenchbender Ret 09-19-2021 03:08 PM

That is a flare fitting. You need a blank fitting to plug it with. The best way to get one isto take a fitting & weld it shut. I believe it is a 5/16 tube fitting. Or you could cut the tube about 2 in. from the fitting & fold it over & squese it real tight. You won't need to bleed it if you do like you say "plug it Quickly". Gravity will bleed it but don't let the master cyl run dry.
George

54blackhornet 09-19-2021 04:48 PM

So the plug I got yesterday won’t seal it ?

54blackhornet 09-19-2021 05:08 PM

2 Attachment(s)
It appears to have the proper compression flair ?

Joesjunk 09-19-2021 05:46 PM

Take that “T” piece out and your original brake line should go right back into the master cylinder like factory. I have removed several of those and never had to bleed the brakes.

Sheepdip 09-19-2021 06:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Joesjunk (Post 8973249)
Take that “T” piece out and your original brake line should go right back into the master cylinder like factory. I have removed several of those and never had to bleed the brakes.

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^What he said^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

That's what I did before I upgraded to disc brakes and changed the whole shebang out.:gmc2:

54blackhornet 09-19-2021 06:46 PM

Thanks ! I just thought I would loose to mu fluid trying to get the original line back into the master ? Doing that would also mean breaking the rear connection to allow movement of line and bending it. Plugging the hole in the T seems pretty easy in comparison ? Trying not to have to bleed the system if possible.

pjmoreland 09-19-2021 08:53 PM

If you top off the master cylinder and reinstall the lid tightly prior to disconnecting the line, the fluid won't run out very quickly. That's how it's been in my experience.