The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/index.php)
-   Alternate Tinkerings (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/forumdisplay.php?f=140)
-   -   1950 Hudson Pacemaker (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/showthread.php?t=826009)

KFF 1 09-19-2021 05:55 PM

1950 Hudson Pacemaker

Yesterday I purchased a 1950 Hudson Pacemaker as a "retirement project" for the Grandson and I. I also in the process of buying my new lead sled project that Im going to be a Grandfather again. I guess I better get started so its done by the time they are old enough to drive LOL. Car is all original, flathead 6 with 3 on the tree. Nothing fancy, little to no chrome, radio delete. Unibody frame and floors are in really nice condition. Body is solid but riddled with dents. Taking my time on this one, going to see if we can get the flathead to turn over. I have it soaking in Marvels mystery oil and next weekend we are going to mess with it to determine if its worth trying to get it to run. Will keep you all posted on the progress

KFF 1 09-19-2021 05:59 PM

Re: 1950 Hudson Pacemaker

1 Attachment(s)
1950 Hudson Pacemaker

Ironhorse 09-19-2021 06:54 PM

I like it ! Looks in pretty decent shape for it's age. What sort of condition is the interior? Pics of the interior would be nice to see. Must have a massive trunk I would think, LOL. Hope all the major parts and trim are still there, think it would a challenge if missing major components. Doubt there is a lot of after market support in parts. Good luck on the project.

KFF 1 09-19-2021 08:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ironhorse (Post 8973267)
I like it ! Looks in pretty decent shape for it's age. What sort of condition is the interior? Pics of the interior would be nice to see. Must have a massive trunk I would think, LOL. Hope all the major parts and trim are still there, think it would a challenge if missing major components. Doubt there is a lot of after market support in parts. Good luck on the project.

The interior is a wreck LOL. Back seat isnt bad, front seat is destroyed. Door panels are not good. Had a canvas headliner, all the bows are there and the original insulation is good. Story is that while the car was in storage a family of racoons decided to take up residence in the Hudson. The Pacemaker is a base model so there wasnt much chrome on it to begin with but I believe you can still buy the chrome trim. I do have the fender skirts for the car which are not on it in the pic. Yes the trunk is pretty large beneath that small deck lid. I will try to post more pics of the car next weekend

Ziegelsteinfaust 09-20-2021 10:32 AM

Looks like a good start. You should have loads of fun with the grandson.

My own boy now wants to learn to weld. So I am looking for gloves so he can try his hand at it. His 1/2 brother imitates me welding from a video I sent my son.

I want a Packard with the same body shape to cut the top off of for a fair weather car, and shorten 18" roughly.

CG 09-23-2021 05:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KFF 1 (Post 8973301)
The interior is a wreck LOL. Back seat isnt bad, front seat is destroyed. Door panels are not good. Had a canvas headliner, all the bows are there and the original insulation is good. Story is that while the car was in storage a family of racoons decided to take up residence in the Hudson. The Pacemaker is a base model so there wasnt much chrome on it to begin with but I believe you can still buy the chrome trim. I do have the fender skirts for the car which are not on it in the pic. Yes the trunk is pretty large beneath that small deck lid. I will try to post more pics of the car next weekend

You could fit a whole lot of raccoons in the back seat of one of those cars. I seem to remember they were cavernous!

mongocanfly 09-23-2021 06:52 PM

Dang that thing looks heavy..!!!!

KFF 1 09-26-2021 04:35 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Took some pics of the seats in the Hudson to post. Front is destroyed but the rear is in good shape.

KFF 1 09-26-2021 04:45 PM

3 Attachment(s)
Started to disassemble the front clip to get ready to pull the flathead / 3spd out

Ironhorse 09-26-2021 06:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KFF 1 (Post 8976570)
Started to disassemble the front clip to get ready to pull the flathead / 3spd out

And the seemingly never ending FUN begins, :lol: Good luck on the project. What's the plan for a transplant in place of the flathead and knuckle buster 3 OTT?

KFF 1 09-27-2021 06:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ironhorse (Post 8976603)
And the seemingly never ending FUN begins, :lol: Good luck on the project. What's the plan for a transplant in place of the flathead and knuckle buster 3 OTT?

LS swap, but this one wont be like the one I did for the Suburban. This will be a stock transplant

KFF 1 10-02-2021 06:57 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Front clip is removed

Ironhorse 10-02-2021 08:51 PM

Make it much easier to pull the engine for sure. What transmission are you planning on using? Progress is always good to achieve.

KFF 1 10-02-2021 09:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ironhorse (Post 8979341)
Make it much easier to pull the engine for sure. What transmission are you planning on using? Progress is always good to achieve.

I havent really made up my mind yet. Plus Im not familiar with these cars so once the flathead 6 and 3 on the tree is out I can go from there. Would like to get a dropout for a decent price ( 4.8,5.3,6.0/ 4L60E ) not sure if there is room for a 4L80E. My other thought is an AR5 (5 spd ) but I want it to be " user friendly " so the wife can drive it, that could put the final nail in the coffin for the AR5 stick shift hotrod LOL

67ChevyRedneck 10-04-2021 05:11 PM

Neat car! I'd never heard of these before.

So do you think that's the original paint too? That was a neat color combo.

KShortell 10-06-2021 11:22 AM

I love it! :-)

KFF 1 10-10-2021 06:03 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Last weekend I finished removing the front clip and while trying to figure out if the flathead inline 6 is a 232 I discovered that the numbers on the block match the numbers on the serial plate inside the door. So it turns out i have a numbers matching 232 flathead inline 6 with a 3 spd manual/overdrive. This morning I removed the head from the motor and so far up top things look pretty good. To much fabrication to LS swap this unibody car so after discovering its numbers matching Im going to rebuild the flathead. That makes things pretty much plug and play. The paint is not original on the car, the original color is on the firewall but may be hard to see in the pics. Its a dark greenish blue color

cwcarpenter98 10-10-2021 11:47 PM

Finding that the numbers match is a pleasant surprise. Can't go wrong with the 3 speed overdrive trans either. I love the one in my truck

Ironhorse 10-11-2021 10:30 PM

Would be somewhat unique to see a build now days retaining the IL6 and 3OTT setup. Been a long time since I've driven a 3OTT. I like the idea of keeping the original driveline, it's different and rarely seen at a car show in today's world.

KFF 1 10-12-2021 06:11 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Here is the head. The MMO that I poured into each cylinder made the carbon bubble up like paint but it wiped right off the piston. I havent cleaned up the chambers in the head as of yet

KFF 1 10-12-2021 06:18 PM

1 Attachment(s)
I have been kicking around the idea of doing some lace paint on the car when i get to that point and was practicing on an old piece of body panel i had laying around. Color combo at this point im leaning towards a 2 tone black with the lace in metallic green

KFF 1 10-16-2021 09:57 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Today I removed the intake/exhaust manifolds, and the valve covers. The inside of the motor where the valve train is located is surprisingly clean. I removed the timing chain ( which is shot ) and the camshaft, lifters, and valves turn freely. The rotating assembly will turn 90 degrees in both directions before coming to a stop ( turning it at the flywheel with a screwdriver ) So for now I have come to the conclusion that it is possible the clutch is stuck to the flywheel and Im trying to turn both the crank and input shaft of the trans. Driveshaft is off and the trans is in neutral. After I get the motor and trans out of the car and split the unit I will investigate the problem further

KFF 1 10-26-2021 05:52 PM

2 Attachment(s)
Over the weekend I pulled the flathead and trans out of the Hudson. Once out of the car and on the floor I was able to get the bottom end of the motor to turn over 360 so motor wise I feel I am in good shape so far. Disassembled the front suspension as well to clean the components and frame to get ready to paint. Lowering the front 2 inches and converting from drums to disc over the winter as well as doing the wiring to get it out of the way first.

jaros44sr 10-26-2021 07:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KFF 1 (Post 8988632)
Over the weekend I pulled the flathead and trans out of the Hudson. Once out of the car and on the floor I was able to get the bottom end of the motor to turn over 360 so motor wise I feel I am in good shape so far. Disassembled the front suspension as well to clean the components and frame to get ready to paint. Lowering the front 2 inches and converting from drums to disc over the winter as well as doing the wiring to get it out of the way first.

That's cool, any valves stuck?

KFF 1 10-26-2021 08:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jaros44sr (Post 8988687)
That's cool, any valves stuck?

No sir. After removing the timing chain I turned the cam with a 3/8 ratchet and all of the valves opened and closed