The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/index.php)
-   The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   Restoring Rusty (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/showthread.php?t=645440)

Gregski 11-10-2015 10:27 PM

Re: Restoring Rusty

Quote:

Originally Posted by green72s (Post 7371904)
I tried working with JB Weld on my control arms before having them powder coated and it wasn't easy. Hang in there Gregski, you'll get it!

love you man, strength in numbers, ha ha

Gregski 11-11-2015 12:03 AM

Re: Restoring Rusty - Cutting the Front Coil Springs

3 Attachment(s)
it was a little chilly this evening for Nor Cal so I decided to put on my big boy long johns and GIT ER DONE!

of note is that with one loop cut off the stock front coil spring is still a bit longer than the McGauphys 2" shorter coil spring

Gregski 11-11-2015 12:06 AM

Re: Restoring Rusty - Cut Front Coil Spring Results

2 Attachment(s)
it's amazing what you can git done if you don't have to play Chauffeur after work for two hours taking yer kids to this and that

[thank you honey for driving them tonight - the forum says thanks too, ha ha]

it was dark but I took some measurements and pics afterwards of the first side with the cut coil spring and low and behold a perfect 2" drop

Before 31 1/4

After 29 1/4

Gregski 11-11-2015 12:09 AM

do I have enuff left in the tank to git the other side done today (lemme check the fridge, ha ha)

enaberif 11-11-2015 12:24 AM

Cold?! You don't know cold. Look at the temps where I am up here in Calgary, AB

Gregski 11-11-2015 01:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by enaberif (Post 7372075)
Cold?! You don't know cold. Look at the temps where I am up here in Calgary, AB

I'm skierd to.

Gregski 11-11-2015 01:22 AM

1 Attachment(s)
the other patient on the surgery table

Gregski 11-11-2015 01:23 AM

1 Attachment(s)
and another successful amputation

Gregski 11-11-2015 01:24 AM

and so we got both sides done tonight, but we're too tired to clean up the garage and shuffle the cars in the driveway to take Rusty for a test drive, so we'll do that tomorrow morning and report on how it handles - looks pretty good though

Gregski 11-11-2015 12:19 PM

Re: Restoring Rusty - Leaf Spring Hangers Removal

2 Attachment(s)
thank you to all our veterans for serving and their sacrifice

the goal for today is to remove the leaf spring hangers held on with 4 rivets each (I think it's early so my math may be off, correct me if I is wrong) I know there be 4 that you can see from the side of the frame and I don't remember if there's any hiding below the frame rail, I don't think so

here are some pictures of the hangers that I took when the bed was off, man would that have been a nice time to grind or drill these out, I could have done that and bolted them back on with nuts and bolts even if I didn't have the budget for the new taller ones I just bought (hind sight, but it may be a suggestion for you the reader, ha ha)

and now you know why I didn't bother painting them when I POR15ed the frame

enaberif 11-11-2015 12:21 PM

For the side with the tank do the two outside and the top one then you should be able to rotate the hangar with some force and get the last one without removing the tank.

Just make 100% damn sure that your tank is covered up if you do ANY grinding lol.

Gregski 11-11-2015 09:18 PM

1 Attachment(s)
ok, so here is what the truck looks like lowered 2 inches in the front with one loop cut off the stock coil springs, and lowered 2 inches in the rear with aftermarket 2" drop shackles

there is a bit of a rake to it, with the rear being higher than the front, that's where the 2" drop hangers come in, stay tuned...

Gregski 11-11-2015 09:21 PM

1 Attachment(s)
updates, updates, updates...

the day started off with a field trip to Harbor Freight to buy some 6 Ton car jack stands, they happened to be on sale plus they let me use one of their 20% OFF coupons, so for $35 bucks out the door, you can't beat that

and now we have some stands that actually reach the rear half of the frame

Gregski 11-11-2015 09:26 PM

4 Attachment(s)
first a special shout out to my buddy GTO Mike who came over and did half the work, thank you bud

the day consisted of pretty much a lot of drilling and grinding, as we tried to use both techniques to get the hangers off, I think drilling a 1/8th pilot hole all the way through the rivet helped punch it out, my buddy Mike believes grinding off all four heads off the rivets than hammering the bracket off first than tapping out the rivets is the key, just some ideas for you

Gregski 11-11-2015 09:28 PM

3 Attachment(s)
Mike worked on the driver side and I worked on the passenger side, the danger side by the tank, I made sure all vents were plugged and put a wet cloth towel on top of it to catch the sparks

I could only get to the first two on the gas tank side with the tank still attached

Gregski 11-11-2015 09:31 PM

1 Attachment(s)
we were making sparks all day long

Gregski 11-11-2015 09:34 PM

4 Attachment(s)
Mike got the driver side off first, here are the two hangers side by side, we wire wheeled the area behind it and dabbed it with some left over POR15 to match the rest of the painted frame rail

this time of the year (late fall) this is gonna have to dry for a couple of days

enaberif 11-11-2015 10:43 PM

Whacking the hangar off before the rivets is the easiest and best way and what I did as well.

Gregski 11-11-2015 11:17 PM

2 Attachment(s)
and so the gas tank had to come out on the passenger side to get to the other two rivets, just so you know it is impossible to get at them from the inside of the frame rail because they are tucked in between the cross member, which is also riveted in

do you all think I can clean this tank up with a wire wheel in order to paint it, or will I blow myself up?

Gregski 11-11-2015 11:20 PM

3 Attachment(s)
with the fuel tank out of the way we were able to grind down the other two rivets and get that hanger off too

Gregski 11-11-2015 11:25 PM

2 Attachment(s)
after we cleaned this frame rail behind the hanger and where the fuel tank used to be, we went further and discovered this stamped number on the frame

12-12-73

Is that a born on date? Is Rusty's Birthday coming up?

Gregski 11-11-2015 11:27 PM

1 Attachment(s)
I swear these rivets look like bullet slugs, don't they?

Gregski 11-11-2015 11:28 PM

3 Attachment(s)
and some parting shots of our Support Cast (get it support?) I recon bigger trucks maybe 3/4 ton or 1 ton use all six rivet holes on these brackets but my 1/2 ton only used the top four?

also I noticed is that they are switchable / interchangeable left to right, which is such a smart design, ie there is no left one and no right one

Gregski 11-11-2015 11:36 PM

1 Attachment(s)
If I am reading this Bolt Grade Table properly than LMC Truck has included some Grade 5 (3 notches) bolts with the hangers, and perhaps Grade 2 Nuts and Washers

The Greg is not a fan of using Grade 5 hardware for suspension componentry!

http://www.rzrforums.net/attachment....2&d=1369585965

enaberif 11-11-2015 11:50 PM

Grade 5 is perfectly fine but I would not use grade 2 at all.

I had to use a bunch of grade 5 on mine because trying to find a place open on the weekends that stock the appropriate quantities of grade 8 was impossible.

If you can use grade 8 do so.. if all you can find is grade 5 it will be ok as long as EVERYTHING is grade 5.

And yes you can wirewheel the tank if you want without blowing anything up.