The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/index.php)
-   The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   Cutting a coil or (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/showthread.php?t=830229)

stepsider 01-26-2022 10:03 AM

Cutting a coil or

Doing a 2 1/2 front and 4 in the back in my 72 step side. Should I cut a coil or order 1" dropped for the front ??

Palf70Step 01-26-2022 11:41 AM

Re: Citing a coil or

Cutting one coil normally results in about 2" drop. Personally I prefer to do drop spindles up front to keep full spring, but otherwise I prefer the premade drop springs. I have used both, just seems to me the premade gave a bit better ride. Just My 2 cents.

jimijam00 01-26-2022 03:36 PM

Is a 1 inch drop spindle going to get you a 2.5 inch drop?

1970 CST Short Wide 01-26-2022 03:38 PM

I have a set of 2 1/2 spindles I just took off my 70. Changed to modular spindles
You would need to use 73 upper ball joint as thats what QA1 runs and I have on my truck
Your in Roseville so you could avoid shipping by taking a day trip. Id sell for $200
PM me if interested

Mike Bradbury 01-27-2022 08:01 AM

There is not much more work involved in changing spindles and the ride quality will be much better. Get the 2.5 drop spindles.

77chris03 01-27-2022 10:45 AM

Re: Cutting a coil or

i litteraly gave a complete upper/lower control arm set with cpp 2.5 drop spindles, calipers and rotors to my scrap guy i had the whole thing listed for 150 bucks and no one wanted them...i can see if he still has them.

Larry S 01-29-2022 08:04 AM

I used 2.5” spindles & 4” coils on rear and mine seems to ride good but it looks almost level and sometimes I look at it and think the front may be higher than rear. Im going to drive it a while and see if it settles down in the front. I had the coils out of it for a year or so while I was painting and reworking chassis. If it dont settle, I may get a set of 1” drop coils. I wanted to maintain good ride was the reason I only did the spindles. I do not want front higher than back and do not want the truck too low.
Posted via Mobile Device

lolife99 01-29-2022 04:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Larry S (Post 9026349)
I used 2.5” spindles & 4” coils on rear and mine seems to ride good but it looks almost level and sometimes I look at it and think the front may be higher than rear. Im going to drive it a while and see if it settles down in the front. I had the coils out of it for a year or so while I was painting and reworking chassis. If it dont settle, I may get a set of 1” drop coils. I wanted to maintain good ride was the reason I only did the spindles. I do not want front higher than back and do not want the truck too low.
Posted via Mobile Device

In my opinion a new set of 1” drop springs is equal
I’m height to a set of worn out stock original springs.
Measure before and after you install the new springs.
I either cut the stock springs or buy a 2” or greater drop spring.
Also measure both sides of your truck.
I bet they are different heights.

chiefcfd 01-30-2022 11:33 AM

I agree 50 year old springs probably already have 1 inch drop. I think you would need 2 inch or more to realize any difference.

kaycee 01-31-2022 09:22 AM

I cut 1 ring off my front and it gave me a tad over 2" drop ,did not effect ride quality. Run the Jeep TJ springs in back for the 4" drop and repositioned shocks allso put a 1ton sway bar in front .Truck corners like a dream and ride is great.:metal:

stepsider 01-31-2022 12:26 PM

I ending cutting a half a coil only to made it easier to get the spring centered and set. When the wife is helping it hard for her to understand when using a jack up and down and moving. I all ways tell her, I need a helper not a engineer.

Larry S 01-31-2022 10:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lolife99 (Post 9026529)

Correct. The right side sits about 3/4 -1” higher than the left.
Posted via Mobile Device

leftybass209 02-02-2022 12:35 PM

I've had both cut coils (currently cut way too low by previous owner) and drop springs + spindles. Really there's no comparison in ride quality and peace of mind.

New springs are even, have a designated spring rate, and typically come with clear instructions if you need to modify or change brackets going too low.

My current DD is a newly acquired 72 c10, springs cut too low at all 4 corners. It's no fun to drive, only a constant chore of avoiding every little bump.