The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/index.php)
-   The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   '67 GMC high beam headlight placement (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/showthread.php?t=826093)

Oregon 1967 GMC 09-22-2021 10:32 AM

'67 GMC high beam headlight placement

2 Attachment(s)
Do the high beams go inside or outside? Getting ready to go out and put them in. Hamburger to the winner🏆

geunther 09-22-2021 10:33 AM

Re: '67 GMC high beam headlight placement

High beams inside.

Rephrase, High and Low outside, High only inside

Oregon 1967 GMC 09-22-2021 11:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by geunther (Post 8974543)
High beams inside.

Rephrase, High and Low outside, High only inside

Gotcha. Thank you sir. Next time I'm in Cheyenne I'll get you a burger 🍔. I usually stay at F.E. Warren being retired Army.

geunther 09-22-2021 12:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Oregon 1967 GMC (Post 8974557)
Gotcha. Thank you sir. Next time I'm in Cheyenne I'll get you a burger 🍔. I usually stay at F.E. Warren being retired Army.

I know just the place. Not necessary, but Id take you up on it.

purple gas 09-22-2021 01:54 PM

Just wondering.
Is that a law or just how they did things?

HO455 09-22-2021 02:25 PM

I have heard that it was a regulation of some kind that came about in the 1940's when cars started to become noticeably wider. On dark narrow roads it was important to know if the oncoming vehicle was a Model A or a 41 Cadillac to prevent collisions. The manufacturers were required have the headlight within a certain distance from the side of the car.
If you look at cars from the 20's & 30's you can see headlight placement is all over the place.

geunther 09-22-2021 04:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by purple gas (Post 8974626)
Just wondering.

Probably some combination. There was always weirdness, like CJ7s. The headlight is no where near the outside of the vehicle.

Whenever dual headlights were one above they other, they were mostly bright/dim on top, and bright only on the bottom. I used to switch em just to be troublesome.

Trivia: In Wyoming the law still states you have to dim within 500 feet of approaching a car, 300 feet when approaching from behind. With today's headlights, those distances are pretty close and bright. See how that works when you are following a cop at 301 feet.

And my personal favorite, it being technically illegal to drive with just your parking lights on.

geunther 09-22-2021 04:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by purple gas (Post 8974626)
Just wondering.

Fed Reg:
On the front, each headlamp providing the lower beam, at the same height, 1 on each side of the vertical centerline, each headlamp providing the upper beam, at the same height, 1 on each side of the vertical center-line, as far apart as practicable. See also S7

'68OrangeSunshine 09-23-2021 12:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HO455 (Post 8974646)
I have heard that it was a regulation of some kind that came about in the 1940's when cars started to become noticeably wider. On dark narrow roads it was important to know if the oncoming vehicle was a Model A or a 41 Cadillac to prevent collisions. The manufacturers were required have the headlight within a certain distance from the side of the car.
If you look at cars from the 20's & 30's you can see headlight placement is all over the place.

Jeeps still have 1930s-style headlamp placement. Now, they're required to mount the yellow running lights more outboard, but from a distance, they're stiil closer than they appear.

Accelo 09-23-2021 01:19 AM

All four buckets may be different. INside, OUTside and R and L.
Even the orientation (clocking) has to be correct.
When you mount the buckets trial fit the bulb to be sure it is correctly orientated.
Just went through this on another Chevy.
I am making the assumption the trucks are the same as passenger cars.

BTW you have the only RH drive truck I have ever seen. LOL.
Or the picture was reversed.
It's a personal preference but I would paint the transmission cooler black.
BTW I am not far from you, Longview WA. Close enough to take you up on the burger! LOL

Oregon 1967 GMC 09-23-2021 06:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Accelo (Post 8974892)
All four buckets may be different. INside, OUTside and R and L.
Even the orientation (clocking) has to be correct.
When you mount the buckets trial fit the bulb to be sure it is correctly orientated.
Just went through this on another Chevy.
I am making the assumption the trucks are the same as passenger cars.

BTW you have the only RH drive truck I have ever seen. LOL.
Or the picture was reversed.
It's a personal preference but I would paint the transmission cooler black.
BTW I am not far from you, Longview WA. Close enough to take you up on the burger! LOL

That's weird how the picture reversed!? Didn't notice. Good advice 👍 Thanks. When I get it drivable I'll come through with a Killer Burger that's what's in the photo.