The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/index.php)
-   Squarebody Projects and Builds (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/forumdisplay.php?f=139)
-   -   My New Truck (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/showthread.php?t=791250)

Factory Guy 08-02-2019 02:16 PM

My New Truck

3 Attachment(s)
Short Haul’s post on this forum inspired me to post my inherited truck from my late father who purchased this 1973 truck back in 1975 and its been in the family ever since. The truck started life in California. The owner moved to Colorado. He was going to start having to commute into Denver and since the truck gets poor gas mileage. That didn’t make sense for him so he and my Dad worked out a deal. Shortly thereafter I put my name on this truck. Truck is mostly original and just rolled over 100,000 miles. 3/4 ton, 350 V8 4.11 gears Camper Special 8200 GVW.

Since this truck was a joke in the snow, it never got driven in the winter and for the last 20 years it has been garaged. The only real issues are the paint is somewhat faded and most all of the chrome trim has the black painted strip faded out of the chrome strip. Pic with the camper-shell was how I received it. I just drove her back.
Posted via Mobile Device

The last 2 photo's are how it sits today.

drmatera 08-02-2019 02:56 PM

Re: My New Truck

sweet ride

Palf70Step 08-04-2019 07:37 AM

Very Nice!

mongocanfly 08-04-2019 08:06 AM

great looking truck..!!

Factory Guy 08-04-2019 10:50 PM

Dash

1 Attachment(s)
Plans include adding the FACTORY style tachometer to the Fuel gauge area.

Anybody else done that conversion?

Low Elco 08-10-2019 01:42 PM

Nice truck! Bring it to the Nats and see us!
https://www.facebook.com/alltrucknats/

Come on up and say hi, I'm the guy in the pinstriped cowboy hat.

ShortHaul 08-11-2019 01:31 AM

Hey Factory Guy! I'm glad to have inspired your thread! That truck is a real beauty. Post some pics of the interior when you get a chance.

In regards to your factory tach post above, looks like you just missed out on this one for sale:
https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/...d.php?t=789403

But be sure to browse the classifieds here, stuff pops up from time to time... Best of luck, and I look forward to seeing more of your rig!

Ad Cam 08-11-2019 04:34 PM

Cool truck! I love that color combination.

Factory Guy 08-11-2019 10:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ShortHaul (Post 8574128)
Hey Factory Guy! I'm glad to have inspired your thread! That truck is a real beauty. Post some pics of the interior when you get a chance.

In regards to your factory tach post above, looks like you just missed out on this one for sale:
https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/...d.php?t=789403

But be sure to browse the classifieds here, stuff pops up from time to time... Best of luck, and I look forward to seeing more of your rig!

Thanks!

ShortHaul 08-15-2019 07:59 PM

Tach for sale here...

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=790842

Factory Guy 08-18-2019 02:58 PM

4 Attachment(s)
Ok, Here's some interior shots. Drivers seat was recovered in the early 1990's.

Factory Guy 08-18-2019 03:00 PM

2 Attachment(s)
And a few of the Engine. A/C still blows cold it was converted to R134 in the Late 1990's or early 2000's

Factory Guy 08-18-2019 03:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Low Elco (Post 8573842)
Nice truck! Bring it to the Nats and see us!
https://www.facebook.com/alltrucknats/

Come on up and say hi, I'm the guy in the pinstriped cowboy hat.

Will do!

Joesjunk 08-20-2019 10:32 PM

Nice truck! I’ll be at the truck show. You should bring your truck.

Factory Guy 08-21-2019 09:35 AM

See you guys at the show!

ShortHaul 08-23-2019 12:00 AM

Interior look so cherry! man that truck is a real time capsule! Be sure to post some pics from the show.

Honest Bob 08-23-2019 07:30 AM

Very nice truck!

Factory Guy 09-01-2019 10:53 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Adding new 16" Wheel Vintiques this week.

So the hub caps were is desperate need of a refreshing (the Denver SUN had worked on them a long time).

Before and after photo.

ShortHaul 09-03-2019 12:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Factory Guy (Post 8586120)
Adding new 16" Wheel Vintiques this week.

So the hub caps were is desperate need of a refreshing (the Denver SUN had worked on them a long time).

Before and after photo.

Great job on the caps! Did you repaint the black part? I had a hell of a time masking off and painting mine...

Factory Guy 09-03-2019 11:32 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by ShortHaul (Post 8586853)
Great job on the caps! Did you repaint the black part? I had a hell of a time masking off and painting mine...

Thanks!

Yes I did, first I cleaned the hubcap except for the red GMC trim with Acetone to make sure it is void of any contaminants. Next I scuffed the chrome area to be painted black with a #800 scuff pad. Then I carefully mask off the cap with 1/4" PINSTRIPE tape (goes around circles a lot easier than masking tape). Then I mask of the rest of the cap with BLUE Masking tape (cause it just STICKS better-then the off white stuff). Cleaned the remaining chrome to be black, again with Acetone. Painted the soon to be black areas with a spray paint-SELF ETCHING PRIMER, (2 times light coats). Waited a week and the painted the black strips with Spray can Satin Black Wheel paint (2 coats). Then let dry another week.

I DON"T EVER want to do this again so that's why I am being so particular.

Still got 2 hub caps to go.

Note: it took about 1 to 1 1/2 hours to tape off a single hub cap.

Attached is the hubcap with all of the tape on it waiting for it to dry. (a complete 5 days).

ShortHaul 09-04-2019 03:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Factory Guy (Post 8587295)
Thanks!

Yes I did, first I cleaned the hubcap except for the red GMC trim with Acetone to make sure it is void of any contaminants. Next I scuffed the chrome area to be painted black with a #800 scuff pad. Then I carefully mask off the cap with 1/4" PINSTRIPE tape (goes around circles a lot easier than masking tape). Then I mask of the rest of the cap with BLUE Masking tape (cause it just STICKS better-then the off white stuff). Cleaned the remaining chrome to be black, again with Acetone. Painted the soon to be black areas with a spray paint-SELF ETCHING PRIMER, (2 times light coats). Waited a week and the painted the black strips with Spray can Satin Black Wheel paint (2 coats). Then let dry another week.

I DON"T EVER want to do this again so that's why I am being so particular.

Still got 2 hub caps to go.

Note: it took about 1 to 1 1/2 hours to tape off a single hub cap.

Attached is the hubcap with all of the tape on it waiting for it to dry. (a complete 5 days).

Oh yeah I hear ya. I did the same with my caps. 1/4" line tape was the only option for those black "gear" sections. Plus mine had the bowtie, which was a whole other pain in the butt to tape off... yellow in center, bare steel outline, black surrounding... took 3 seperate tape jobs just to paint the bowtie! I feel ya on never wanting to do it again!!

I give you credit for waiting 5 days in between... I had far less patience!

Factory Guy 09-04-2019 10:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ShortHaul (Post 8587337)
Oh yeah I hear ya. I did the same with my caps. 1/4" line tape was the only option for those black "gear" sections. Plus mine had the bowtie, which was a whole other pain in the butt to tape off... yellow in center, bare steel outline, black surrounding... took 3 seperate tape jobs just to paint the bowtie! I feel ya on never wanting to do it again!!

I give you credit for waiting 5 days in between... I had far less patience!

I think I would have bought a bow tie decal!

Notice I didn't touch the GMC logo's.

Trust me patients is NOT my strong suit. My Dad could out wait anybody not me!

My Wheels vintiques got installed today!

ShortHaul 09-08-2019 11:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Factory Guy (Post 8587895)
I think I would have bought a bow tie decal!

Notice I didn't touch the GMC logo's.

Trust me patients is NOT my strong suit. My Dad could out wait anybody not me!

My Wheels vintiques got installed today!

I bought a set of the decals, for the bow tie and the black sprocket shape off ebay, but to be honest I didnt like the way they fit. Since the cap is curved, the stickers never sat flat, there was always a crease or a wrinkle... So I gave up and went to paint. Mine are 10 footers, if you get too close you can see the imperfections.

Post up some pics of the new steelies! What are you going with for tires?

Factory Guy 09-08-2019 11:05 PM

3 Attachment(s)
Ok, Here's few pics from the show with the new Steelies (show had a much better turnout than I expected), Just like Short Haul's I did the Wheel vintiques in 16" x 8" with 265/75/16's.

Now to start on the other sides hub cap's!

Palf70Step 09-09-2019 07:36 AM

Super clean looking! :metal: