The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/index.php)
-   The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   Restoring Rusty (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/showthread.php?t=645440)

Gregski 08-17-2016 02:08 PM

Re: Restoring Rusty

1 Attachment(s)
Truck doing more truck things, scored a heavy duty shelf for all our camping gear

OMG Greg are you going to share pics of every time you use the truck? Well duh, yeah!!! JK, ha ha

Gregski 08-17-2016 02:12 PM

1 Attachment(s)
By the way the Safari web browser stinks on the iPhone for forum updates, it only uploads one pic at a time and if you try to upload multiple pics the last one wins and if later you wanna add a second pic it will just replace the first, epic fail

Jeramy 08-18-2016 12:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gregski (Post 7686092)
cool, do you have long tube headers? word on the street is long tube headers are more prone to droning than stock exhaust manifolds, I am not sure if there is any truth to that, so just checking in?

yep. long tubes, albeit small diameter, literally straight 2.5 inch pipe into the mufflers then a 90 degree bend out the side. lines up right under my front spring hanger.
you can just make out the exhaust in front of the rear tire. the plus side is the small (short) cars really love it at the stop lights...i think lol
http://i188.photobucket.com/albums/z...b/DSCF7722.jpg

Jeramy 08-18-2016 12:12 AM

just my personal opinion that your drone is caused by dumping the exhaust under the truck. mine droned with the previous exhaust. which was stock manifolds, 2.25 pipe and cheap turbo mufflers dumped in front of the axle. didn't want to spend 150 bucks on the pipes to go over the rear axle so turned mine out the sides.

Gregski 08-18-2016 03:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jeramy (Post 7686709)
yep. long tubes, albeit small diameter, literally straight 2.5 inch pipe into the mufflers then a 90 degree bend out the side. lines up right under my front spring hanger.
you can just make out the exhaust in front of the rear tire. the plus side is the small (short) cars really love it at the stop lights...i think lol
http://i188.photobucket.com/albums/z...b/DSCF7722.jpg

black mirrors, black grille, black bumpers, black wheels, what's not to like? black door handles - BONUS!

um lets get those windshield wipers blacked out please - ha ha

Gregski 08-18-2016 03:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jeramy (Post 7686717)
just my personal opinion that your drone is caused by dumping the exhaust under the truck. mine droned with the previous exhaust. which was stock manifolds, 2.25 pipe and cheap turbo mufflers dumped in front of the axle. didn't want to spend 150 bucks on the pipes to go over the rear axle so turned mine out the sides.

hmmm, either it's the angle or yours be a long bed truck, I wonder if the extra length or room for a bit longer exhaust pipe run helps eliminate the drone in your case?

Tiger Joe 08-18-2016 07:54 AM

I agree if your exhaust is dumped under the bed before I swapped mufflers I be getting tailpipes and getting it to exit.

my dad has a c30 dump. had dumped exhausted ending right before the rear axle for 20+ years. was just LOUD. not even good loud just loud. I swapped a pair of cheapo summit mufflers (think they cost $30 each) and put the exits in front of the back tires. He get complements everywhere he goes now on how awesome the truck sounds.

blazer2007 08-18-2016 09:15 AM

my sounded terrible until I went with the full exaust

Gregski 08-18-2016 09:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by blazer2007 (Post 7686888)
my sounded terrible until I went with the full exaust

what are you running? FlowMasters?

Gregski 08-18-2016 06:38 PM

3 Attachment(s)
thought I would share a pic of a cool cut away of a Flowmaster muffler I saw today at a Hot Rod store while picking up some 90° elbows for my side exits

the flow is right to left <==

[all together now], ahh that's how you make the drone sound LOL

Gregski 08-18-2016 09:29 PM

4 Attachment(s)
alright lets give the side exits a shot to see if that drowns out the drone

so the passenger side first - here it goes

harley87ta 08-18-2016 11:30 PM

Is that hot rod store Tognotti's?

Gregski 08-19-2016 12:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by harley87ta (Post 7687643)
Is that hot rod store Tognotti's?

Si my brotha

harley87ta 08-19-2016 01:59 AM

I miss going there. Stuck in socal now a desert wasteland

Gregski 08-19-2016 05:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chaplain (Post 7688163)
50 series Flows dumping to the ground...Thanks for the lesson on uploading pics. I'm practicing on your thread.

Attachment 1562688

Attachment 1562687

very nice I forgit what year is your truck so do you got a cat on it or no, cause the newerer rigs that must have cats may be drone free cause of that extra can in the exhaust system, just a thought

Gregski 08-19-2016 11:26 PM

2 Attachment(s)
why don't you all grab a beer and follow me to my metal shop and we can take a look at the new and improved side exhaust Flow-a-Masters

took no time at all to cut the down pipes off and weld up some of these 90° elbows

now we are able to spew Carbon Monoxide at two Priuses at the same time whilst stopped at a red light - what's not to like

So is the drone gone? No not all the way gone but believe it or not its better, technically the drone used to be at 1000 RPM and now its at around 800 RPM (this is better on cold starts since with fast idle on your head was a poundin' till the rig warmed up)

so in the pics you can't really tell but they go out to the side and are angled a little bit down

Gregski 08-20-2016 01:02 PM

1 Attachment(s)
not a huge fan of the Felpro header collector white gaskets, this one parished after only a couple hundred miles of service, now I aint sure if its by design that they are supposed to get this brittle after heating up, or cause its that they've been sitting on the O'Really's shelf since the Pilgrims brought them over on the Mayflower

Gregski 08-20-2016 01:05 PM

2 Attachment(s)
got my new digital vacuum gauge installed and protected with an inline 2A amp fuseloge

love seeing it go from 16" at idle to 0" at Wide Open throttle to 23" of vacuum at off throttle while cruising

Boog 08-20-2016 07:14 PM

Hey Greg. You know any exhaust system changes call for the obligatory sound clip right? ;)
And I have been thinking I might like to have a a/f meter for tuning. That's the first one in cab I've seen.

Gregski 08-21-2016 09:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Boog (Post 7689138)
Hey Greg. You know any exhaust system changes call for the obligatory sound clip right? ;)

ha ha, it's really nothing to write home about, as the resonators tamed the rumble / raspines, but I will see what I can do

Quote:

Originally Posted by Boog (Post 7689138)
And I have been thinking I might like to have a a/f meter for tuning. That's the first one in cab I've seen.

go for it you will wonder how you ever tuned without one, and by the way these days seems like everyone is offering these gauges (even Holley), but I am very happy with the INNOVATE products especially the ease of use and quality of the actual hardware

Gregski 08-21-2016 10:04 AM

Re: Restoring Rusty - Manual Steering Box Rebuild

2 Attachment(s)
the manual steering box rebuild kit arrived so it was time to git er done

Gregski 08-21-2016 10:08 AM

2 Attachment(s)
I figured I can delay it some more by doing whats completely un necessary...

come on we've all been there

time to remove the casting crests (those of you who followed along the engine rebuild know I did this to the block as well) you know those SEMA judges, picky picky - ha ha

Gregski 08-21-2016 10:15 AM

2 Attachment(s)
this is the part that hugs the frame rail, no one will ever see this side, awesome, time well spent Greg

Gregski 08-21-2016 10:20 AM

2 Attachment(s)
I mean come on guys looks like GM had Ray Charles in charge of the Casting Quality Control (no offense to Charles he probably would have felt the imperfections and had them fixed...)

Gregski 08-21-2016 10:23 AM

1 Attachment(s)
I can't find the before pic of this angle / shot, but you get the idea it was wonky too, look like they had Ogur break the metal with his hands rather than use a hack saw, ha ha

no wonder they could crank out half a million of these trucks a year back then, their standards were "Eh Good Enuff'

IT'S A TRUCK!!!