The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/index.php)
-   The 1969 - 1972 Blazers and Jimmys Message Board (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/forumdisplay.php?f=36)
-   -   Tinkering on the 72 jimmy, may have hurt the engine...Thoughts? (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/showthread.php?t=803832)

too much stuff 01-20-2021 05:35 PM

Re: Tinkering on the 72 jimmy, may have hurt the engine...Thoughts?

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by DeadheadNM (Post 8865238)
Check. Beers on me guys :barn:

Let me guess, Leinenkugel?

New dash, steering wheel and tach installed. Still chasing some wiring issues. Never ends.

DeadheadNM 01-21-2021 10:53 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Have case, will travel...

too much stuff 03-10-2021 03:25 PM

4 Attachment(s)
After sitting for awhile, i finally got back to getting the interior back together. Wipers now work, all the heat/fan setting work correctly, turn signals, and the under dash lights are good again. Amazing how much time goes into a small area...
Next up is rear brakes, brake lights and figure why the fuel gauge isn't working.

best view 03-10-2021 04:02 PM

Just keep at it spring will be here in 3 months

too much stuff 03-10-2021 04:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by best view (Post 8892134)
Just keep at it spring will be here in 3 months

Hopefully in 3 months... Haha. Hopefully my 69 will be coming home from the body shop by then so i need the garage stall back.

Ol Blue K20 03-10-2021 08:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by too much stuff (Post 8892127)
After sitting for awhile, i finally got back to getting the interior back together. Wipers now work, all the heat/fan setting work correctly, turn signals, and the under dash lights are good again. Amazing how much time goes into a small area...
Next up is rear brakes, brake lights and figure why the fuel gauge isn't working.

Looking good, I understand the time involved with the little things. Keep plugging away and it miraculously gets done.

K5Fan 03-11-2021 03:04 AM

I don't know how "Ya'll" live in those cold places. We complain about 40 degree weather here.

Chris.

DeadheadNM 03-11-2021 07:33 AM

Nice progress. I’m hoping to wake my trucks up from hibernation this weekend.

David623 03-11-2021 09:53 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Curious is that an original color? I just got mine back on the road.

https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/...1&d=1615513743

too much stuff 03-21-2021 09:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by David623 (Post 8892738)
Curious is that an original color? I just got mine back on the road.

https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/...1&d=1615513743

It has had a repaint, but i think it is close to original color.

too much stuff 03-21-2021 09:55 AM

Tackled the rear brakes yesterday... Sorry i didn't get pics so you will have to use your imagination. I think i know why the brakes didn't feel right.
Started on the driver side. Wife was stepping on the brake pedal and i could hear things moving inside the drum but i could still rotate the tire. Pulled the drum, star adjuster is in backwards and wedged into the spring. That explains alot.
Go to the pass side, wife steps on the pedal, i can hear things moving but can still rotate the tire. Pulled the drum and shook my head... Somehow they put the ebrake bracket on the outside of the shoe between the adjuster bracket. I think at that point they put the springs in wherever they fit and hoped for the best. The adjuster bracket was over a 1/2" away from even touching the star wheel!
On the bright side, the brakes were in decent shape.
Test drive soon...

K5Fan 03-21-2021 03:56 PM

Did you get the fuel gauge working?

too much stuff 03-21-2021 06:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by K5Fan (Post 8897480)
Did you get the fuel gauge working?

Didn't investigate that yet. I did get the brake lights working today however. That isn't much fun pulling that switch...

72 Super 03-21-2021 09:07 PM

We never know what we are getting with these old vehicles. Making good progress Eric.

Ray

K5Fan 03-22-2021 07:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by too much stuff (Post 8897525)
Didn't investigate that yet. I did get the brake lights working today however. That isn't much fun pulling that switch...

From what I can see in the photos, the gauge is now reading "E". If it stays there even with fuel in it, my guess would be the sending unit. If the gauge was sitting at the 3 o'clock position and stays there, that would be indicative of a connection issue. As you know, these fuel gauges are KIND OF LIKE an ohmmeter. They are different but my 70 sending unit is set from 90 ohms at Full, and zero or close to zero at Empty.

Might be time to drop the fuel cell, unless someone else knows a better way. Let me know what happens!

Chris.

too much stuff 03-22-2021 09:21 PM

Put insurance on it today and took it for a cruise. Brakes work great now. Get back home, tire goes flat. May have to replace all of them due to age. One step forward, 2....HMMMM i have a set of rally wheels with like new 31x10.5x15s...

Quote:

Originally Posted by 72 Super (Post 8897592)
We never know what we are getting with these old vehicles. Making good progress Eric.

Ray

Thanks ray.

Quote:

Originally Posted by K5Fan (Post 8897943)
From what I can see in the photos, the gauge is now reading "E". If it stays there even with fuel in it, my guess would be the sending unit. If the gauge was sitting at the 3 o'clock position and stays there, that would be indicative of a connection issue. As you know, these fuel gauges are KIND OF LIKE an ohmmeter. They are different but my 70 sending unit is set from 90 ohms at Full, and zero or close to zero at Empty.

Might be time to drop the fuel cell, unless someone else knows a better way. Let me know what happens!

Chris.

We did have the tank out to clean the old gas out. It is an aftermarket tank i think and we tried to retrofit a different sender. I wasn't there when it went back together however.
Thanks for the tip.

too much stuff 04-10-2021 08:41 PM

5 Attachment(s)
Another update. The tires that still looked like new are so aged i don't dare run them on the road. I dug out a set of rally wheels with a nice set of 31x10.5x15 tires. Well... the rally wheels just didn't do it for me. I had a set of 15x8 stock wheels i was saving for something. I guess this is something. Gave them a quick scuff and squirt and here is the end result. I think i will end up keeping the caps on.

Ol Blue K20 04-10-2021 09:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by too much stuff (Post 8906554)
Another update. The tires that still looked like new are so aged i don't dare run them on the road. I dug out a set of rally wheels with a nice set of 31x10.5x15 tires. Well... the rally wheels just didn't do it for me. I had a set of 15x8 stock wheels i was saving for something. I guess this is something. Gave them a quick scuff and squirt and here is the end result. I think i will end up keeping the caps on.

I like it......a lot! It's looking great!

jjzepplin 04-11-2021 04:59 AM

Oh yeah! the stockers are very nice looking for sure. How wide are those?

too much stuff 04-11-2021 09:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ol Blue K20 (Post 8906585)
I like it......a lot! It's looking great!

Thanks, i am liking it more all the time.

Quote:

Originally Posted by jjzepplin (Post 8906689)
Oh yeah! the stockers are very nice looking for sure. How wide are those?

15 x 8