The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/index.php)
-   The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   Restoring Rusty (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/showthread.php?t=645440)

Gregski 08-07-2018 12:22 AM

Re: Restoring Rusty

3 Attachment(s)
and just like my Facebook Status, this quick hood respray just got: Complicated!

Gregski 08-07-2018 12:28 AM

Re: Restoring Rusty - Metal Rescue

3 Attachment(s)
i honestly have zero faith in this product, but while we contemplate what to do with that bad rusty spot on the hood, we'll give it another go

hatzie 08-07-2018 08:26 AM

You can probably liberate that section from your other hood. I see welding in your future...

Gregski 08-07-2018 03:57 PM

2 Attachment(s)
well dingle dangle, it worked, you can even see the blue color on some of those hood hinge bolts, wow

note to self: fish out that missin' 4th bolt

Gregski 08-07-2018 04:05 PM

5 Attachment(s)
so decided to brush up my welding skills a bit before cutting into that bad section of the hood, so it was time to patch the hole in the trans tunnel

Gregski 08-07-2018 04:09 PM

1 Attachment(s)
tac, tac, slowly but surely it's getting there, I like it, keeping the burn through to a minimum, then some grinder action and no one will even know how ugly this stitching was

RDrancher 08-07-2018 04:44 PM

C'mon...it's been like 33 minutes. Pics! Pics! Mmmmmm popcorn.

Gregski 08-07-2018 05:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RDrancher (Post 8317597)

ha ha, Millenials?! jk

RDrancher 08-07-2018 05:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gregski (Post 8317618)
ha ha, Millenials?! jk

Ha! I think I get bored faster than my grandkids. Look...........squirrel!

Gregski 08-07-2018 06:43 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by RDrancher (Post 8317597)

alright here you go, something to hold you over... filled in the welds

Gregski 08-07-2018 06:45 PM

3 Attachment(s)
prepped the screw holes for welding and buzzed those in

Gregski 08-07-2018 06:47 PM

2 Attachment(s)
then it was time for some gentle scuffing top and bottom

Gregski 08-07-2018 06:52 PM

3 Attachment(s)
then it was time to shoot some special primer, in other words the first can I could reach on the shelf

and after that I wanted to cover this with this special SEM undercoating stuff I've been saving for days and wanting to shoot it on something so bad, well I lost the can in the last house move I recon, cause I couldn't find it today, so I used that junk spray I used on my dash that is supposed to give a wrinkle texture finish but it sure don't

it does shoot backward onto your arm though

RDrancher 08-07-2018 07:33 PM

At least you didn't shoot yourself in the eye.

LT7A 08-08-2018 04:24 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Dude. Don't you live in like the middle of California? Are you buying your truck parts out of the northeast states or something? Sorry to see the weight-saving-area on the inside of your hood. Your progress looks good across the board though. The Saginaw held up just fine with the landscaping duties, right?

PS, I hope you don't mind my apocalyptically numbered post landing on your thread. If I thought a deal with the devil could net you some rust-free parts, you know I'd be the first to sign up. Maybe.

Gregski 08-08-2018 06:22 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by LT7A (Post 8318214)
PS, I hope you don't mind my apocalyptically numbered post landing on your thread. If I thought a deal with the devil could net you some rust-free parts, you know I'd be the first to sign up. Maybe.

ha ha, my favorite band growing up was Maiden so I totally get it

Whamo 08-09-2018 11:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gregski (Post 8318278)
ha ha, my favorite band growing up was Maiden so I totally get it

Here's how we Iron Maiden do...

I'm off camera running the sound...don't be laughin, sound guys get to test out the roadies...

Oh...if only ANY of that were true...

https://youtu.be/Li58voy6xXM

Gregski 08-09-2018 11:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Whamo (Post 8318697)
Here's how we Iron Maiden do...

I'm off camera running the sound...don't be laughin, sound guys get to test out the roadies...

Oh...if only ANY of that were true...

https://youtu.be/Li58voy6xXM

Yup, saw them, also there's a banjo playing Slayer cover dude https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nZ2ucr74YNk , and then there's Brown Sabbath, all amazing musicians.

LT7A 08-09-2018 02:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gregski (Post 8318707)
Yup, saw them, also there's a banjo playing Slayer cover dude https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nZ2ucr74YNk , and then there's Brown Sabbath, all amazing musicians.

I'm still a huge Maiden fan.

Interesting ensemble Whamo. Disturbing lack of shirtfulness, ha, but no lack of talent!

Gregski 08-11-2018 02:52 PM

4 Attachment(s)
remember back in July 2016 when I got this fancy distributor cap...

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gregski (Post 7647743)
more parts showed up

- Davis Unified Ignition, DUI Cross-Fire H.E.I. distributor cap and rotor (this allows you to run the even 2-4-6-8 plug wires on the passenger side and the odd ones 1-3-5-7 on the driver side and eliminates the crossing over)

Well on Thursday the truck ran amazeballs and on Friday it would not start. I suspect the coil went out as there was no spark. So I swapped caps back to my trusty cheap ProForm and after replacing a few MSD plug wires for reachability with generic AutoZone longer ones, whalla we got spark, and the truck runs again.

Now in the fancy Cross-Fire caps defense it did not come with a coil I swapped the coil out of the GM HEI unit into it, which by the way the GM HEI distributor is the one that seized on me, so it's the worst of the bunch yet it was the most expensive one, go figure.

Lesson Learned: Form Over Function Bites Us Again!!! when will we learn

Gregski 08-11-2018 05:34 PM

Re: Restoring Rusty - SEM 39523

3 Attachment(s)
SEM 39523 SUBBERIZED UNDERCOATING

game on, this can just feels like a quality product, I hope to shoot this behind the seat to shoulder level as well as on the floor for as it says "premium... sound dampening" but first we shall try it out on that handsome tuxedo black transmission tunnel cover

Hankster 08-18-2018 09:55 AM

Let us know what you think. I thought about doing all of inside my cab with that stuff.

Gregski 08-18-2018 11:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hankster (Post 8324957)
Let us know what you think. I thought about doing all of inside my cab with that stuff.

Hi, I will. Can you tell us what do you mean by all of inside of your cab? Do you mean like the A and B pillars and the ceiling etc.? I ask because this stuff is grindy like sand paper, think the top side of a skateboard back in the Tony Hawk era, ha ha? It may be too gritty on the doors?

I discovered this product when I had a shop weld in the floor on my '68 Mustang about 10 years ago (god I'm such an idiot for selling that Ford) it looked so good and I bet they didn't do much prep and clean up just shot it over all that junk, and still it looked amazeballz.

Gregski 08-19-2018 03:45 PM

4 Attachment(s)
progress is slow... and so much for using the old piece as a template, ha

Hankster 08-21-2018 09:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gregski (Post 8324996)
Hi, I will. Can you tell us what do you mean by all of inside of your cab? Do you mean like the A and B pillars and the ceiling etc.? I ask because this stuff is grindy like sand paper, think the top side of a skateboard back in the Tony Hawk era, ha ha? It may be too gritty on the doors?

I meant the floor and back of the cab up to the window, as well as up the firewall as far as possible.