The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/index.php)
-   4x4 (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/forumdisplay.php?f=231)
-   -   Front Lower Shock Mount Destruction (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/showthread.php?t=837546)

elks 08-24-2022 11:36 PM

Front Lower Shock Mount Destruction

My 72 Balzer K5 has about 6” lift and on the front I am running a dual shock mount kit from Skyjacker… like the setup but for some reason the factory lower spring mounts
Keep breaking (2 broke in last 10 years, and currently I have one more stressed and ready to break).

So 2 questions…

1. Does anyone make the factory shock mount for the axle tube? I will need a duplicate of the foxtrot to keep the dual shock kit!

2. If not a factory what else have you replaced them with?

Surely I am not the only one that has had this issue… Someday I want to rebuild the entire thing top to bottom but for now 2 kids at home, dogs, wife, chickens, and more are consuming my time…

elks 08-24-2022 11:43 PM

Re: Front Lower Shock Mount Destruction

Oh and I am not opposed to going to a single shock that is built really well and spending money on it as long as I don’t keep breaking the lower tabs off…

Anyone know about these mounting tabs from ruff stuff? They tend to have good heavy parts, but looking at the setup I will have to eliminate the dual shock set up and go to a single, but I could buy a good Resevoir shock or performance shock?

DeadheadNM 08-25-2022 04:21 PM

Moved - should not evolve into a WTB post.

Richard 08-27-2022 05:38 PM

Most of the dual shock lower mounts just use the stock dual shear lower tabs with a longer bolt and a spacer between the shocks. Adding another tab to the axle on the outside of the addon shock will put both shocks in a double shear mount and make it stronger. Look at places like RuffStuff for mounting tabs to modify.

Edit: No doubt a nice single King or Fox reservoir shock could be better. May require some tuning to get it where you want though. Bummer your post got moved into this place. Re-reading the original post I can see no fishing for people to sell you parts.

kwmech 08-28-2022 08:42 PM

3 Attachment(s)
https://www.amazon.com/Weld-Front-Lo.../dp/B072YWZD8Y

If you are breaking the mounts, a few thing would contribute. Weak mounts to begin with. Improperly welded. OR wrong shocks either topping or bottoming out. Anyways these mounts are pretty beefy--made out of 1/4 plate. I actually used a pair of these on a Toyota I'm building at the moment

HO455 08-31-2022 02:39 PM

:wop:

Help us help you by providing some photos of your shock mounts.

kwmech 09-01-2022 12:26 AM

Who me?

HO455 09-06-2022 08:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kwmech (Post 9119207)
Who me?

No I wanted the OP to post some.

Richard 09-20-2022 02:29 AM

The lower mount breaking has to do with the additional shock. It is added on with just a spacer. The add-on outboard shock creates a twisting stress on the lower mount causing it to break. Oddly later GM did the 4x4's lower shock mounts the same way when a quad shock option was ordered. Used the Oem quad brackets on my last 72. What made me think of this thread again is I just came across the extra set of GM quad shock brackets I purchased.

kwmech 09-21-2022 10:51 AM

The stock mounts are more than capable of supporting a quad shock set-up if the correct shocks are installed and you're not jumping the vehicle or doing real extreme wheelin'. Got a 30 year old suburban with quads on it and there is no damage to the mounting system