The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/index.php)
-   The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   Restoring Rusty (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/showthread.php?t=645440)

flashed 04-12-2016 08:17 PM

Re: Restoring Rusty

But when he is done he will have to tear it all back apart and start over to keep us entertained .But I guess we could just go over the whole thread again instead .

Titomars 04-12-2016 08:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gregski (Post 7557985)
well hopefully by the end of the day all these parts will be green (ok technically all but the hood latch mechanism and its companion spring, those will be le black)

I counted a bakers dozen, what did you get?

apologies if some parts may be backwards or upside down in the photo, getting all of them to sit still for 30 seconds was like herding cats, plus the wind was a blowin the tarp up, things I do for you guys

technically I only see one part that should be green. I see mostly all black in that wild herd that did not want to be photographed.;)

Gregski 04-12-2016 10:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Titomars (Post 7558530)
technically I only see one part that should be green.

oh yeah, which one?

Gregski 04-12-2016 10:55 PM

well fellers it never really warmed up passed 70*F today nor dropped below 60% humanity and add to that a piano lesson and both kids had open houses at skool and, well you know nothing got painted, but I did manage to hit the junkyards in search of that coveted single piece drive shaft

so lets see if dropping out of calculus three times in junior college will pay dividends

word on the street is that a 350 Turbo automagic transmission is 21 inches long from front of bell to end of trans case, then depending on the tailshaft you get 27 5/8ths total length (using 6 inch tailshaft)

so if we measure the 833 overdrive transmission we get approximately 21 1/4 inches from where the bell housing goes to end of tailhousing, then we add approximately 6 5/16ths for a standard bell and lets see (carry the one, times the circumfrance of the earth, divided by the area below the curve... aha) we git approximately 27 9/16th

so 27 and 10/16 ths ~ vs ~ 27 and 9/16 ths = CLOSE ENUFF

lets go find us a 2WD short bed standard cab pick up with a TH350 trans in it

Gregski 04-12-2016 11:00 PM

3 Attachment(s)
its funny how the things we need is broken on the trucks we want to pull them off of, take that pesky baby hood latch spring, I looked at two trucks that still had the hood latch on them on that little rascal was broken on both

Gregski 04-12-2016 11:05 PM

2 Attachment(s)
I can't even begin to tell you how many tools I have lost at the yards while pulling stuff off, but sometimes the Yard Taketh and sometimes the Yard Giveth

... and today was such a day, I found a lovely Husky 1/4" rachet with an extension and a 10mm socket on it, I found this Knife, and litterally a yard stick (who knew Sister Margaret's truck would end up here, lol) pic of yardstick not shown

Gregski 04-12-2016 11:08 PM

5 Attachment(s)
the first driveshaft I pulled was off of this lovely '95 GMC (figured what better donor than a GMC to a GMC transplant, right?)

well after I pulled it I realized the shaft had a bit of scarring from the forklift they use to move the trucks around, and since this device spins and needs to be true, I decided to pass on it

68Timber 04-12-2016 11:09 PM

Is that spring available new?

Gregski 04-12-2016 11:12 PM

3 Attachment(s)
a couple feet away there was this 1990 short bed standard cab, and it's shaft was even worse than the first one, I didn't even bother pulling this one off

ok, was my buddy Mopar Seth right when he said buy a new one, cause all them ones in the yards might be damaged, what does he know anywayz

Titomars 04-12-2016 11:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gregski (Post 7558698)
oh yeah, which one?

the panel the houses the turn sigs of course. hehe

Gregski 04-12-2016 11:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 68Timber (Post 7558745)
Is that spring available new?

donno, not on any of the popular sites, like LMC, Brothers, or Classic, etc... I did manage to find one on a GMC Van, so all is good now

Gregski 04-12-2016 11:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Titomars (Post 7558750)
the panel the houses the turn sigs of course. hehe

dope, gotcha, it's been a long day

Titomars 04-12-2016 11:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gregski (Post 7558748)
a couple feet away there was this 1990 short bed standard cab, and it's shaft was even worse than the first one, I didn't even bother pulling this one off

ok, was my buddy Mopar Seth right when he said buy a new one, cause all them ones in the yards might be damaged, what does he know anywayz

Trust me (used to work at a PnP) finding a usable drive line in the wrecker is about as rare as finding a Corvette Stingray in there. They move the inventory around with fork lifts. Not exactly something that is kind to the undersides.

Gregski 04-12-2016 11:18 PM

4 Attachment(s)
OK, a message to the Demolition Derby Drivers [ahem] professional certified fork lift operators at Pick 'N' Pull: STOP KILLING THESE DRIVE SHAFTS !!!

and here we struck out 0-3 with yet another fallen comrade! a blood red '93 Silverado

but it takes more than that to defeat The Greg... so off to the next Pick n Pull across town

Gregski 04-12-2016 11:22 PM

5 Attachment(s)
a mere 11 miles away at another junk yard we find this beauty in the back of a 1988 (I presume, I couldn't tell from the penmanship, so I took a pic of the VIN to decipher it later) pickup truck, already uninstalled and waiting for pick up

I hope I won't have to kick myself for not gettin' that plane jane lookin' transmission crossmember

Titomars 04-12-2016 11:25 PM

Why not just take some measurements and have a drive line made for it from scratch? That is what I'd do if it was mine.

Gregski 04-12-2016 11:27 PM

1 Attachment(s)
that crossmember literally only had one measly hole in it and the trans bracket was shot, completely obligerated and torn apart

Gregski 04-12-2016 11:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Titomars (Post 7558776)
Why not just take some measurements and have a drive line made for it from scratch? That is what I'd do if it was mine.

money! or lack there of, and thrill of the hunt, ha ha, I have $42 bucks I don't got $250 or whatever a brand new one will cost me - and to prove a point on how easy the 833 trans swap may be (or may not be, we will see)

honestly the point of this old truck ownership is doing things yourself and doing them on the cheap, if I had money to throw around I would be driving fill in the blank __________ truck!!!

and where do you stop, hey we just bought a brand new drive line, ok, why not buy a brand new transmission, why drive 350 miles to buy an old one, ok we got a brand new drive line and a brand new transmission, why not buy a brand new crate motor, ok, we got a brand new DRIVE TRAIN, awesome, heck lets get a brand new diff, ok got all that new, we can't mount that to a used frame, lets get one of them brand new aluminum frames, ok got one, see what I mean, that's not what this build is about...

Gregski 04-12-2016 11:37 PM

3 Attachment(s)
alright ~ More Partz ~

got some special transmission fluid for this gear box since I guess I ain't supposed to put regular gear oil in it

well I dropped $950 on this thing and it's not like they grow on trees so proper fluid is just insurance that it won't blow up

Gregski 04-12-2016 11:40 PM

3 Attachment(s)
alright so what came in the other box

well, what's better than one Series 40 FLOWMASTER muffler?

~ Hello me, it's me from the future. It's two years later (9/22/18) and you will never be able to get the dreaded drone out of these mufflers so you will sell em to your co-worker, don't feel bad for dumping them on him, he's a Ford guy, ha ha. ~

Titomars 04-13-2016 02:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gregski (Post 7558783)
money! or lack there of, and thrill of the hunt, ha ha, I have $42 bucks I don't got $250 or whatever a brand new one will cost me - and to prove a point on how easy the 833 trans swap may be (or may not be, we will see)

honestly the point of this old truck ownership is doing things yourself and doing them on the cheap, if I had money to throw around I would be driving fill in the blank __________ truck!!!

and where do you stop, hey we just bought a brand new drive line, ok, why not buy a brand new transmission, why drive 350 miles to buy an old one, ok we got a brand new drive line and a brand new transmission, why not buy a brand new crate motor, ok, we got a brand new DRIVE TRAIN, awesome, heck lets get a brand new diff, ok got all that new, we can't mount that to a used frame, lets get one of them brand new aluminum frames, ok got one, see what I mean, that's not what this build is about...

Ohh I get it Gregski it's all about budget or lack there of. But for me, my time is worth something and my driveline is one those areas I never skimp on. I have seen too many come apart. One almost poll vaulting the car on a 2 lane highway (friends car). Balancing new vs. used parts is a fine line of practical and an owner priority thing. I could take your thinking the other direction too. The truck needs a u-joint or two let go to the Pick N pull and tear a couple out of some vehicle, wait it needs front brake pads there is a truck in the wrecking yard the has a set. it needs a rag joint i saw one in a burnt out shell lets use that. And no I am not trying to be an ass just stating my case of that fine line.
You want to know a secret............... If I had a million dollars my 77 would still be my toy and my baby. No newer truck could ever fill her shoes and she deserves every dime I throw at her.

Valarius_Starchaser 04-13-2016 09:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gregski (Post 7558763)
OK, a message to the Demolition Derby Drivers [ahem] professional certified fork lift operators at Pick 'N' Pull: STOP KILLING THESE DRIVE SHAFTS !!!

thats more common then you think I'm lucky here the yard here takes them off and puts them in the car before they drop it in the yard nice if you need one they are easy to look for that way don't even need to work

daddyjeep 04-13-2016 10:10 AM

I love the sound of the 40 series. Those will make you smile when you finally put that truck back together. I got my 40 series used 10 years ago by the way. :) Who needs new parts anyway.

Gregski 04-13-2016 12:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by daddyjeep (Post 7559087)
I love the sound of the 40 series. Those will make you smile when you finally put that truck back together. I got my 40 series used 10 years ago by the way. :) Who needs new parts anyway.

nice, the older the violin the sweeter the music!

68Timber 04-13-2016 12:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gregski (Post 7559204)
nice, the older the violin the sweeter the music!

Yeah, especially with a clutch!