The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/index.php)
-   The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   Restoring Rusty (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/showthread.php?t=645440)

Gregski 11-20-2017 10:10 PM

Re: Restoring Rusty

Quote:

Originally Posted by LT7A (Post 8086675)
It's good to see some more work done on Rusty. Another 'installment', if you will.

yep, fourth house is as many years, so it's been a tough road, so tired of setting up yet another garage, but this one will be permanent when done

Quote:

Originally Posted by LT7A (Post 8086675)
BTW, this is my post number 454. I had to make note of that since it's a number I have coveted since high school.

ha ha, I totally get it, I have a MOPAR friend that sends me texts at 3:18 and 3:40 LOL and I PING him back at 3:27 and 3:50 etc. but 454 is a good one

Gregski 11-20-2017 10:11 PM

Re: Restoring Rusty - Kick Panels \ Vents

2 Attachment(s)
Game On!

... yep, she's out of the house!

Gregski 11-20-2017 11:07 PM

4 Attachment(s)
Wow, this is so riveting!

Gregski 11-20-2017 11:17 PM

3 Attachment(s)
nine cheap Harbor Freight rivets later (one stud didn't make the photo shoot) and one side is done

Gregski 11-20-2017 11:27 PM

2 Attachment(s)
well we were doing great, until one rivet got stuck in the rivet gun, and so we decided to blow that apart, and now how in the world do you put all these tiny bits back together, LOL

that's it, it's time to watch some Monday Night Football!

Gregski 11-21-2017 12:48 AM

4 Attachment(s)
alright after getting re-motivated, and seven failed attempts at putting that silly rivet gun back together the wrong way, I think I finally put it back the right way, and we were back in business

so here is the driver side kick panel rebuild and ready to go

Gregski 11-21-2017 12:51 AM

Re: Restoring Rusty - Kick Panels

4 Attachment(s)
and here's a little before and after comparison, old and new(ish)

Gregski 11-21-2017 12:55 AM

1 Attachment(s)
"Oh, now, just a minute. You must understand, my dear: On the stroke of twelve, the spell will be broken, and everything will be as it was before."

smpoulin01 11-21-2017 06:36 AM

Greg, did you make your own replacements or did you get a kit?

Gregski 11-21-2017 12:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by smpoulin01 (Post 8087043)
Greg, did you make your own replacements or did you get a kit?

not sure I follow your question since you see me assembling these myself, so yes these are all my original parts that I wired wheeled the rust off of then painted black, the only thing I bought new was the oval felt like material that gets sandwiched in the Oreo cookie, however had I known it was something someone just cut out free hand with scissors, and did a horrible job of it, I would have just pranced over to Walmart and bought my own material and cut them out myself, lol

if you follow the thread (huge I know) try the Table of Contents in the very first post, you will see how I worked these kick panels

smpoulin01 11-21-2017 02:29 PM

I was wondering if the gasket material was a kit.

LT7A 11-22-2017 06:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gregski (Post 8087002)
"Oh, now, just a minute. You must understand, my dear: On the stroke of twelve, the spell will be broken, and everything will be as it was before."

Is that chili and cornbread muffins? I'm on my way!

Don't the kids tell on you when you spread parts all over the kitchen?

Gregski 11-23-2017 03:01 PM

4 Attachment(s)
so got the passenger side kick panel back in, not to proud to bolt this shiny newish piece up to the rusty sheet metal, but its cold out and this is now my daily driver so git 'er done, come summer time things may git painted/POR15ed up

Gregski 12-03-2017 01:31 PM

3 Attachment(s)
I realize some of you may think this is silly, but I love showing our "city" trucks doing truck things, ha ha

so the HOA insisted we replace the unapproved white rocks put in by the previous home owner with standard bark, so here we go

Rusty gettin' dirty and maintainin' his Street Cred!!! ha ha

rusty76 12-03-2017 05:21 PM

Cool

LT7A 12-04-2017 10:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gregski (Post 8088774)
so got the passenger side kick panel back in, not to proud to bolt this shiny newish piece up to the rusty sheet metal, but its cold out and this is now my daily driver so git 'er done, come summer time things may git painted/POR15ed up

I actually think it's cool bolting renovated parts up against old, obviously aged parts. It shows the progress. Good work on on Rusty's gills.

blindbug 12-04-2017 04:05 PM

1. I hate you, your propensity to actually get stuff DONE is making me feel inadequate.
2. I love you, your propensity to actually get stuff DONE AND take pictures is awesome and gives me ideas on things I can actually get done myself!

I have questions:
• I've heard from reviews that the POR 15 tends to lighten in color, turning a purple color (or even pinkish) when exposed to UV light... any thoughts on your application?
• You are using Phosphoric Acid to prep, and then applying POR 15, correct? I see concrete etcher at the local home improvement as Phosphoric Acid, but I'm not sure if that's the same, or if it is the same strength... Where'd you source your acid, and what strength is it (or do you even know)?

blindbug 12-04-2017 04:06 PM

Delete me. I am a duplicate.

Gregski 12-04-2017 10:26 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Christmas in December... (oh wait...)

Gregski 12-04-2017 10:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by blindbug (Post 8096577)
1. I hate you, your propensity to actually get stuff DONE is making me feel inadequate.
2. I love you, your propensity to actually get stuff DONE AND take pictures is awesome and gives me ideas on things I can actually get done myself!

Luv it, I mean I hate it!

Gregski 12-04-2017 10:40 PM

1 Attachment(s)
First of all, all excellent questions, I am no POR15 expert but I have used it a few times now.

Quote:

I have questions:
• I've heard from reviews that the POR 15 tends to lighten in color, turning a purple color (or even pinkish) when exposed to UV light... any thoughts on your application?

I am not sure POR 15 was designed to be out in the sun, they make different products some are meant to be painter over, some are to be hidden under the vehicle like their chssis black, or hidden in the engine bay under the hood, is my understanding.

I have not seen mine turn purple, but I had it go blotchy, meaning I bought the glossy type and painted my '68 Mustang engine bay with it (two coates as per instructions) and when it all was said and done and dry, some spots were shinny and some were flat and dull. So I called the company up and they said sometimes it just does that? Say What?!

Quote:

• You are using Phosphoric Acid to prep, and then applying POR 15, correct? I see concrete etcher at the local home improvement as Phosphoric Acid, but I'm not sure if that's the same, or if it is the same strength...

Best advice I can give you, is use it's two sister products, one is called Cleaner Degreaser (what I substitute Denatured Alcohol for) the other is Metal Prep (essentially really weak Phosphoric Acid (read the ingredients)). But if you use their stuff and follow their directions you have the best chance of getting proper results. This is not a cop out, I just suggest you try their stuff the first time around, and go from there.

Quote:

Where'd you source your acid, and what strength is it (or do you even know)?

I have said this in the forum though I don't expect anybody to find it it's gotten so big, LOL, I buy mine at Home Depot, it's like $5 bucks for a gallon. Lessons Learned: Anything Home Depot sells is not true Automobile Quality, but it's good enuff. I use it straight up on really rusty bits and delute it with water on other bits, you will figure that out, it may eat some metal, it likes to ruin hood springs, lol.

Bloodhound 12-05-2017 01:38 PM

POR 15 has no UV protection so it will discolor if exposed to UV over time. Topcoat it with regular paint of your choice if it's going to see sunlight.

daddyjeep 12-05-2017 03:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gregski (Post 8096908)
First of all, all excellent questions, I am no POR15 expert but I have used it a few times now.

I am not sure POR 15 was designed to be out in the sun, they make different products some are meant to be painter over, some are to be hidden under the vehicle like their chssis black, or hidden in the engine bay under the hood, is my understanding.

I have not seen mine turn purple, but I had it go blotchy, meaning I bought the glossy type and painted my '68 Mustang engine bay with it (two coates as per instructions) and when it all was said and done and dry, some spots were shinny and some were flat and dull. So I called the company up and they said sometimes it just does that? Say What?!

Best advice I can give you, is use it's two sister products, one is called Cleaner Degreaser (what I substitute Denatured Alcohol for) the other is Metal Prep (essentially really weak Phosphoric Acid (read the ingredients)). But if you use their stuff and follow their directions you have the best chance of getting proper results. This is not a cop out, I just suggest you try their stuff the first time around, and go from there.

I have said this in the forum though I don't expect anybody to find it it's gotten so big, LOL, I buy mine at Home Depot, it's like $5 bucks for a gallon. Lessons Learned: Anything Home Depot sells is not true Automobile Quality, but it's good enuff. I use it straight up on really rusty bits and delute it with water on other bits, you will figure that out, it may eat some metal, it likes to ruin hood springs, lol.

The POR15 metal prep has phosphoric acid as well as zink Phosphate. The zink Phosphate is what is used for galvanizing, so that I what I used.
Now back to the Christmas in December.... I see truck parts a strange box and more truck parts.

Gregski 12-09-2017 01:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by daddyjeep (Post 8097358)
Now back to the Christmas in December.... I see truck parts a strange box and more truck parts.

LOL, that's what The Greg said, I recon the strange box may be my X-mas present from the wife, Kansas City Chiefs T shirt maybe, fingers crossed (yes I am a recovering 49ers fan who followed my boy Alex Smith to K.C. like Montana before him... my '9er friends call the Chiefs, 49ers [Mid] West, ha ha)

... and for the record I asked for that T shirt when the boys in red were [ahem] still winning!!!

Rich84 12-11-2017 10:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gregski (Post 8100608)
LOL, that's what The Greg said, I recon the strange box may be my X-mas present from the wife, Kansas City Chiefs T shirt maybe, fingers crossed (yes I am a recovering 49ers fan who followed my boy Alex Smith to K.C. like Montana before him... my '9er friends call the Chiefs, 49ers [Mid] West, ha ha)

... and for the record I asked for that T shirt when the boys in red were [ahem] still winning!!!

No sympathy from a Giant fan here...LOL