The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/index.php)
-   67-72 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Projects and Builds (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/forumdisplay.php?f=115)
-   -   72 Cheyenne Build Thread (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/showthread.php?t=224662)

SactoJim 01-25-2007 01:50 AM

72 Cheyenne Build Thread

5 Attachment(s)
Thought I would finally sit down and compile my build progress pics into one thread.

Bought this truck in 1990 and it was my driver for about 6 years. I'm the 2nd owner of the truck and one of the main reasons I bought it was because it had original paint on it still....though I wasn't thrilled with the color, It grew on me.

It is an original cheyenne, but the original owner ordered it with a "3 on the tree" which I promptly changed to a TH350 and a factory tilt column and then ordered a complete suspension kit fron So Low suspensions (stepped A arms, springs, shocks, and sway bars.

I parked it in 97 and it sat for a couple years before I began to tear it apart.

The first pics are of what I started with (front end off) and restoring the chassis. I have only a couple pics of the truck all together when I was driving it, but they are not in a digital format.

SactoJim 01-25-2007 01:52 AM

Re: 72 Cheyenne Build Thread

5 Attachment(s)
Here's some more chassis pics.

SactoJim 01-25-2007 02:04 AM

5 Attachment(s)
The next pics are of the motor.

I really wanted to go with a late model fuel injection changover (I drool over you guys that are doing that), but a came across a great deal on the blower and aluminum heads from a friend that had bailed on a project (brand new). and then did some trade out work with a friend of mine that builds motors.

The motor is the original 4 bolt block (040 over) with a Eagle forged stroker crank and H beam rods. Edelbrock RPM heads, scorpion 1.5 roller rockers, and an Isky custom grind blower cam. Pistons are forged SRP's. Moroso oil pan with a crank scraper and windage tray.

SactoJim 01-25-2007 02:09 AM

3 Attachment(s)
More engine pics.

The front drive is from Concept One. I had them make me a new bottom pulley for the blower. Good guys to work with and I recommend if your looking for a little less expension setup than many of the billet ones.

I painted my alt and air compressor cast grey and clear coated it to offset having too much shiney stuff.

SactoJim 01-25-2007 02:12 AM

5 Attachment(s)
The next pics are of the cab.

I am only going with the factory lower moldings so I filled all the upper molding mount holes. Also relocated the tank to the rear and filled cab filler hole.

SactoJim 01-25-2007 02:15 AM

5 Attachment(s)
The next pics are of the fuel lid that I grafted into the bed. Found it off an old olds at the local pick & pull one day and also got the electric release that I will use as well.

SactoJim 01-25-2007 02:19 AM

4 Attachment(s)
The next pics are of the tailgate.

I ordered an aftermarket tailgate only because the inside of mine was so beat up. The new gate fit like crap so I decided to cut it up and just use the inside and graft it onto my gate. No pics of it finished but it turned out very nice.

SactoJim 01-25-2007 02:23 AM

4 Attachment(s)
The next pics are of the custom fuel cell that Fuelcellguy built for me. Someone pointed out to me that the front part of the step up may need to be vented which made sense, so I went to the local cycle shop and got a couple of those trick vents and installed them.....should work fine.

SactoJim 01-25-2007 02:27 AM

5 Attachment(s)
Misc pics.

The engine is now running and I can't seem to not go very long without having to crank it over and hear it sing!!

SactoJim 01-25-2007 02:32 AM

4 Attachment(s)
These are the latest pics.

The cab is on for good and just set the bed on as well after cutting and rubbing out both.

I'm having a helluva time figuring what wheels to put on this think....right now I'm thinking Billet Specialties Vintecs.

IT"S LOOKING LIKE A TRUCK AGAIN!!!!

outlawc 01-25-2007 03:22 AM

Absolutely stunning work!!!! That is going to be one of the cleanest trucks I have seen. And its blown too!!!! You just can beat that.

Wheels, Foose Nitrous Gray, 18's up front, 20's out back. Those would be perfect with the color blue you have.

CHYNSPR 01-25-2007 10:57 AM

Beautiful!

What is your rear disc package?

Zumo 01-25-2007 11:17 AM

I could look a build threads like this all day.

Hart_Rod 01-25-2007 12:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SactoJim (Post 2001947)
Here's some more chassis pics.

Project looks great! Interested in the rear disc brake kit also. Where did the rotors come from? Thanks,

SactoJim 01-25-2007 12:55 PM

Looks like I was running on only 7 cylinders last night and posted this in the wrong place.....oh well.

The brakes are from Speedway. If I remember correctly (been awhile) I paid $399 for the kit. Came with everything...weld on brackets, caddy calipers, rotors and hats. Calipers were converted to std. instead of metric (brake line attachment). Also, the hats center opening had to be enlarged a little to fit the hub.

Haven't had a chance yet to see how they work.

It's been a few years since I did it and it seems there are more options for rear discs now.

weasel29gm 01-25-2007 02:12 PM

Wow!!!!!!!! What a change from the yellow!!! Super job

n2billet 01-25-2007 08:06 PM

Very nice work, truck is drop dead gorgeous.....You can't go wrong with Vintecs!
or course this is coming from a guy that's had four sets and just ordered another for his Rambler :lol:

kenm78 01-25-2007 08:12 PM

Awsome truck super nice work.

CG 01-25-2007 10:34 PM

I like the vintage 200S wheels you have on there now...I wouldnt mind having a set of those lying around for a future project.

Oh, and your truck looks superb.

GREASEMONKEY72 01-25-2007 10:37 PM

ive never liked the color blue more in my life than i do now..haha..what color blue is that anyway??? and thats a beautiful truck man i love it, nice work, how HP is that thing making?

texascowboy593 01-25-2007 10:38 PM

Sweet!:metal:

lytemup454 01-25-2007 10:47 PM

looks sweet! i like the gas door! any idea how hp much the motor will make?

SactoJim 01-26-2007 01:34 AM

Thanks alot guys for the compliments. Seems this truck is taking a lot longer then I ever imagined and I tend to have good stretches of progress and longer stretches of no progress, but now I'm at the point where I'm seeing significant visual changes and the sound of the thing running which substantially adds to the motivation!!

N2Billet - A compliment from you is gold when I look at your red 68....makes me wanna sell my 72 front end and convert!! Could I see some pics of your vehicles with the Vintec's? There's a big part me that is struggling with putting a cast center type wheel on this thing...WHAT TO DO!

CG - I love the 200S's that I have. but just want a bigger wheel/tire combo. Gonna sell em once I get the truck road worthy and after a few good burn outs with the old rubber.

GreaseMonkey72 - The color is 99-00 Corvette Bright Blue or I've heard it referred to as Nassau Blue.

...as far as horsepower goes, I've seen a few tests in some of the mags that resulted in about 470 hp on a goodwrench small block 350 with aluminum heads and a mild cam. I have a few more cubes (388) and a little bigger lower pulley and should see about 6-7 lbs of boost, though the charge will be a little warmer because this baby blower has to spin so fast. I'm guessing anywhere from 500-550 hp, but the best part will be the massive amount of low end torque the roots style blowers are famous for. I just hope the 700r4 stays together!

JDL 01-26-2007 11:48 AM

That is going to be a nice truck.

Brighton 72 01-26-2007 03:08 PM

awesome truck man!!!!

good job on the work!