The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/index.php)
-   1969 - 1972 Blazers and Jimmys Projects and Builds (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/forumdisplay.php?f=211)
-   -   Project Mustard Wagon (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/showthread.php?t=795310)

mkelly 10-21-2019 03:32 PM

Project Mustard Wagon

1 Attachment(s)
I have been looking around this page for a long time gathering info and enjoying all the great work.
I have finally started on my 72 K5 project so I figured I would share some of it with the other Blazer fans.
A little back story on the Blazer. I bought it from a friend about 5-6 years ago. It had set in his old chicken house for about 10 years. Someone before him had replaced a lot of the rusty sheet metal. He had a 400 sbc built for it and had the inside rhino lined.
I bought the blazer and got it running. New gas tank, carb ect. We have enjoyed the blazer some but it just has never ran right constantly and the transmission was weak. My kids love riding in it and they named it the Mustard Wagon.
My plan is to go with a LS and overdrive. Most likely a 6.0 or 6.2. I have not purchased a motor or trans yet simply because I know if I have one setting here I will get in a hurry and not do everything else that needs to be done while it is apart.
I am sure I will have a lot of questions along the way.
Attachment 1951603

mkelly 10-21-2019 03:37 PM

Re: Project Mustard Wagon

5 Attachment(s)
A few more pics.Attachment 1951606

Attachment 1951607

Attachment 1951608

Attachment 1951609

Attachment 1951610

Ptjsk 10-21-2019 11:24 PM

Cool. Another one to watch!

Good luck with your build.

Pat

SeventyOne 10-22-2019 02:32 PM

Cool truck - I love those Ochre blazers!

C.I.Blazer 10-22-2019 05:47 PM

Looks great and great color! I am doing an LS swap as well so it will be great to follow your build and share information.

Duraburb 10-22-2019 06:30 PM

Looks like a solid start!

mkelly 11-24-2019 01:33 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Not a lot to update. Got the front axle out. I will be taking it and the transfer case to a local 4x4 shop to have them gone through and all new seals.

Now the fun part of cleaning up the frame and axles ect to get ready for paint.

Looking for options for frame/axle paint. I have looked at POR 15 but also looking for good rattle can options. What have you guys used and had good luck with.

What is the orange/red color for the transfer case? Does anyone make a close match in a rattle can?

I am also looking for a good 2.5" all spring lift. I would love see some recommendations for a good lift as well.

Sorry for the side ways pics. I am trying to figure out what I am doing wrong.

simicrintz 11-25-2019 09:25 PM

If you're using an iPhone I've had good luck taking the pics with the camera sideways instead of in the standard position :)

mkelly 01-14-2020 01:57 PM

4 Attachment(s)
Its slow going but I have made a little progress. I sent the axles out and them completely rebuilt with 4.10 gears. I also had him go through the transfer case and put all new seals in it.
Cleaned the front part of the frame up and got it painted. Painted the front axle and installed it with the new lift springs. I went with a 2" Tuff Country lift. So far I am happy with it.
The tie rod looked terrible with all the years of a monkey wrench being used on it so I had a friend with a machine shop build me a new one. It looks awesome.
I picked up a 4L80E transmission and I will be sending it to the shop soon.
I am going to look a 6.0 this week.
Now time to start on cleaning up the rest of the frame and rear end and get it installed.
Once it is rolling again the plan is to send it out to have the firewall and interior painted.

CO71Blazer 01-15-2020 10:50 AM

The orange paint on the transfer case is most likely Chevy Orange.

C.I.Blazer 01-17-2020 08:09 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Your progress looks really great. I have been looking at a Tuff Country lift as well so I am glad to hear that you like yours. They appear to have a good reputation.

I am by now means an expert but I think the original transfer case color was red. I decided to just do mine in Chevy Orange since I was doing my engine in that color. Not much about my build is going to be stock.

mkelly 11-16-2021 01:06 PM

2 Attachment(s)
Little update. The Blazer is no longer Mustard/Ochre. Only the firewall, dash, and windshield are painted for now. Motor is ready for the most part. Transmission is in the shop and transfer case is ready to go. Test fitted the Dirty Dingo crossmember hoping for it all to be bolted in by Christmas. I have replaced the body mounts and bolts. The PO had the floor Rhino lined so that was a real PITA. They also welded the bolt heads to the floor. Have all new brake lines to install as well. Hoping to get a lot accomplished over the winter.

mkelly 11-30-2021 04:34 PM

3 Attachment(s)
Transmission and Transfer Case ready to go. Just waiting on Advanced Adapters.
Started on the brake lines.

MJN 12-22-2021 01:40 PM

The original transfer case color was very similar to red oxide primer. I've used Chrysler Industrial red engine paint as a close match.