The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/index.php)
-   The 1969 - 1972 Blazers and Jimmys Message Board (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/forumdisplay.php?f=36)
-   -   Does anyone have an original paint Blazer or Jimmy with painted door latches? (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/showthread.php?t=819392)

DeadheadNM 03-11-2021 06:45 PM

Does anyone have an original paint Blazer or Jimmy with painted door latches?

3 Attachment(s)
There's what appears to be a very nice survivor 72 Blazer on BAT now with paint on the door latches. Per the dealer handling the sale, paint meter readings indicate the paint is all original. The door latches are painted and appear to be medium blue. Listing is here: https://bringatrailer.com/listing/19...let-blazer-44/

Does anyone have an original paint K5 with painted door latches that would support a claim that these were indeed painted at time of assembly?

DeadheadNM 03-11-2021 09:34 PM

Re: Does anyone have an original paint Blazer or Jimmy with painted door latches?

1 Attachment(s)
Flint 72 original medium blue. Not painted but door latch bolts are?

DeadheadNM 03-11-2021 09:40 PM

Re: Does anyone have an original paint Blazer or Jimmy with painted door latches?

2 Attachment(s)
Early 72 Flint original ochre, no paint.

DeadheadNM 03-11-2021 09:45 PM

3 Attachment(s)
Uncertain plant (likely St Louis given the white rear top to bedside brackets) 72 medium olive, painted.

DeadheadNM 03-11-2021 09:57 PM

2 Attachment(s)
St Louis 69s (no door latch reinforcements), no latch paint

DeadheadNM 03-11-2021 10:22 PM

2 Attachment(s)
Late 72 Flint, no latch paint

DeadheadNM 03-11-2021 11:05 PM

3 Attachment(s)
Flint 72 no paint

https://bringatrailer.com/listing/19...let-blazer-20/

IronCanine 03-11-2021 11:27 PM

Perhaps a factory re-spray? I think I've seen Keith Seymore talk about fixes of assembly line goofs. Otherwise no reason for paint on these pieces. Body comes out of paint, door latches put on. But let's say either something gets damaged or dinged on the line or there's some other QC issue and they run it back around. Maybe you leave the latches on.

I went to BaT and looked...it's a tough call. It's got a pretty good wrinkle in the VIN plate under the Rosette rivets.

DeadheadNM 03-11-2021 11:31 PM

2 Attachment(s)
Another St Louis 72. Paint?

DeadheadNM 03-11-2021 11:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by IronCanine (Post 8892777)
Perhaps a factory re-spray? I think I've seen Keith Seymore talk about fixes of assembly line goofs. Otherwise no reason for paint on these pieces. Body comes out of paint, door latches put on. But let's say either something gets damaged or dinged on the line or there's some other QC issue and they run it back around. Maybe you leave the latches on.

I went to BaT and looked...it's a tough call. It's got a pretty good wrinkle in the VIN plate under the Rosette rivets.

Was just thinking of you while squinting at thumbnail images on Rust Free Classics. Good points. Maybe I can loop Keith into the conversation. I need to root out the original door latches from my St Louis 72 and see if there is any demonstrable factory paint. If I still have them.

IronCanine 03-11-2021 11:47 PM

But who knows what they were doing in St. Louis. They were cranking out basically everything GM made at the time. That's why there was so much writing on everything. You know they were having to have a lot of staff meetings because of something Robert or Harv kept goofing up. So finally they were like, "Look Harv, I know you aren't reading the build sheet...but geez, can you at least read it off the truck?!? We wrote the color and all the options right here on the firewall!! Help me out Pal! You know I'm catching it from the Corvette foreman at the plant picnics. We look bad over here...this is the third Blazer re-spray this month!"

Tmend 03-12-2021 12:40 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Attachment 2088361

All original 72 ochre paint minus rockers and lower B pillar corner.. St. Louis on vin tag

DeadheadNM 03-12-2021 08:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by IronCanine (Post 8892787)
But who knows what they were doing in St. Louis. They were cranking out basically everything GM made at the time. That's why there was so much writing on everything. You know they were having to have a lot of staff meetings because of something Robert or Harv kept goofing up. So finally they were like, "Look Harv, I know you aren't reading the build sheet...but geez, can you at least read it off the truck?!? We wrote the color and all the options right here on the firewall!! Help me out Pal! You know I'm catching it from the Corvette foreman at the plant picnics. We look bad over here...this is the third Blazer re-spray this month!"

Funny. St Louis used two RH armrests on my rear seat and omitted one of the two horns.

Good point on the VIN plate for the Blazer in post #1 btw - how would that be creased like that? Factory damage = respray?

It seems odd that one plant for one year would shift the assembly process where a door component would be placed upstream from the paint booth leaving other components of door assembly to follow. I’ve seen low mile survivor original paint square body Flint K5s that do ha e factory door latch paint.

DeadheadNM 03-12-2021 08:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tmend (Post 8892812)
Attachment 2088361

All original 72 ochre paint minus rockers and lower B pillar corner.. St. Louis on vin tag

Thanks for sharing. Can you add detail photos of both doors when possible? Is the blue LH door decal present and unpainted?

Tmend 03-12-2021 10:11 AM

4 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by DeadheadNM (Post 8892861)
Thanks for sharing. Can you add detail photos of both doors when possible? Is the blue LH door decal present and unpainted?

Forgive the dirty screw heads and abuse I drive this good 4 days out of the week.
Attachment 2088403

Attachment 2088404

Attachment 2088405

Attachment 2088406

DeadheadNM 03-12-2021 10:26 AM

Thanks for adding those! It's getting interesting.

Keith Seymore 03-12-2021 11:06 AM

Quote:

Lol. This is probably actual audio.

K

IronCanine 03-12-2021 11:13 AM

Good on ya Pete...you've teased out another one. This seems like a for real thing. Fast forward to 9:52 on this 2016 video. St. Louis Blazer:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bS9Q3Ormju4

Keith Seymore 03-12-2021 11:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DeadheadNM (Post 8892860)
It seems odd that one plant for one year would shift the assembly process where a door component would be placed upstream from the paint booth leaving other components of door assembly to follow.

It's possible. There was variation in the process between assembly plants and even variation within the same plant across model years.

There was even variation within the same plant within the same model year: when I started at Flint the front end sheetmetal was installed as a preassembled unit (ie "buck built") on Line 2 and as individual pieces ("Piecemeal") on Line 1. Same product, two wildly different processes under the same roof.

Keep in mind these plants were all build differently, with their own unique footprints, typically in the 1920's, 30's, and 40's. This can drive different process just based on the available real estate and where significant "monuments" (hardware or equipment that you are really loathe to relocate during a product or process change) were placed. Sister plants, or plants with the same basic architecture, weren't built until much later, like the GM Orion, Kansas City and "Poletown" (ie Detroit Hamtramck) plants in the 1980s.

Also keep in mind there is a constant creep to add parts later in the process. Everyone wants their part put on in the last station on the final line, so you have to be forever vigilant to keep pushing the work farther upstream, trying to keep the work load generally leveled for each production operator. As a result there is always a little bit of tuning going on.

So - back to the subject at hand: Door Latches. Yes - it is possible for St Louis to be an outlier, installing the door latches before paint while everybody else was doing it after paint. Also - I seem to recall a move was made once the use of the ELPO dip tanks became more prevalent. In some plants, like Pontiac passenger car assembly, latches were installed before paint but were getting gunked up from the ELPO dip. The installation of the latches was moved to the trim area as a result.

K

Keith Seymore 03-12-2021 01:24 PM

Quote:

If this conversation took place in Flint it would be "Arkie", or "Tex" that were screwing up.

K

richard2717 03-12-2021 03:05 PM

1 Attachment(s)
72 Flint no paint

IronCanine 03-12-2021 05:07 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by Keith Seymore (Post 8893125)
If this conversation took place in Flint it would be "Arkie", or "Tex" that were screwing up.

K

HA!

Here's another 72 St. Louis Blazer (best shot available), purported original paint (except on repair panels, ie rockers and such). BTW...what is in that ochre paint? It is indestructible.

DeadheadNM 03-12-2021 07:01 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Keith thanks a ton for weighing in with your valued insight and anecdotes.

Guys thanks for all the posts and please keep them coming! Evidence is accumulating. Would be great to see a couple more before proposing a motion.

Here's a candidate. I've sent a PM to Mel to check if he has any details about the paint/plant of the K5 from the photo.

DeadheadNM 03-12-2021 07:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by IronCanine (Post 8893215)
Here's another 72 St. Louis Blazer (best shot available), purported original paint (except on repair panels, ie rockers and such). BTW...what is in that ochre paint? It is indestructible.

I'm thinking that's the same Blazer as Tmend's post #15 above buddy :)

IronCanine 03-12-2021 07:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DeadheadNM (Post 8893267)
I'm thinking that's the same Blazer as Tmend's post #15 above buddy :)

Doh...what an idiot. Pulled it from an old for sale ad. In my defense, 90% of original paint trucks are ochre.