The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/index.php)
-   The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   Restoring Rusty (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/showthread.php?t=645440)

Gregski 02-12-2015 12:21 AM

Re: Restoring Rusty

1 Attachment(s)
Scrub And Ye Shall Find [... the part numbers that is] well, something like that

OldBlue4Life 02-12-2015 12:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gregski (Post 7044795)
did you happen to "take the restrictor plate off to give the Red Dragon a little more juice. But it's not exactly street legal, so [you're] keeping it on the down low."

Hahaha, great quote. To answer that, in the words of the great Ricky Bobby, "I wanna go fast!"

Although I did manage to get some minor interior work done in 20 degree weather a while ago. Despite being called crazy by my dad. :lol:

Gregski 02-12-2015 12:40 AM

3 Attachment(s)
even though this came out decent I am still a cynic how coconut milk in a flamboyant red plastic bottle can turn back 40 years of father time

Gregski 02-12-2015 12:41 AM

2 Attachment(s)
I will touch it up some more tomorrow, but what the heck here's a quick before and after shot

Gregski 02-12-2015 12:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by OldBlue4Life (Post 7044824)
Hahaha, great quote. To answer that, in the words of the great Ricky Bobby, "I wanna go fast!"

Well played, we are looking forward to seeing your summer build thread fer sure!

greg64 02-12-2015 12:46 AM

Great quote, Greg. I'll have to dig that movie out of my collection. The shroud looks a lot cleaner. Are you going to repaint it? I'll be honest, I don't much like the caddy air cleaner. Doesn't look like it belongs on a truck.

Gregski 02-12-2015 12:49 AM

I really enjoy these focused projects.

What did you say Greg? Say that in mechanic please.

I said I really like friggen working on a little bit at a time.

Oh, well why didn't you just friggen say so

Gregski 02-12-2015 12:53 AM

Re: Restoring Rusty - Radiator Fan

2 Attachment(s)
then it was on to the fan

those of you that know me by now know that The Greg likes to keep the parts clean

Ain't nothin' like it, her shiny machine.
Got the feel for the wheel, keep the moving parts clean.

name that tune boyz

Gregski 02-12-2015 12:56 AM

2 Attachment(s)
no dish soap here, we called up our good ol' friend Mr. Mineral Spirit and his trusty side kick Brawny

Gregski 02-12-2015 01:03 AM

ok, that's the update for tonight, now back to you Greg, OldBlue, rich, bnoon, LSX, rusty, Matt, Jake, and green in the studios, you stay classy Square Bodies

Gregski 02-12-2015 01:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by greg64 (Post 7044851)
...The shroud looks a lot cleaner. Are you going to repaint it?

Wonder if our posts just missed each other cause I already greased it up with Back to Black, plus you know me... I don't like to paint in the winter, hee hee

y5mgisi 02-12-2015 01:33 AM

I love your OCD!

OldBlue4Life 02-12-2015 03:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gregski (Post 7044849)
Well played, we are looking forward to seeing your summer build thread fer sure!

I may consider making one now. Seems fun and helpful. And let me say, after hours of reading your entire forum (which I don't regret at all), I've added quite a bit to my own never-ending to do list. So I'll raise one to you and Rusty :barn: And quoting another great, "Keep on, keepin' on!"

greg64 02-12-2015 09:03 PM

aC/DC (damn autocorrect) she shook me all night long.

The fan looks good, and I know you don't paint in winter. :). If you ever discover sandblasting and por-15, you'll never get anything done. When I had my 64 all apart, I sand blasted everything. That took some time, but the results were worth it. On a hoist, the underside looks new.

Stay classy... You sound like a will ferrel aficionado. :)

greg64 02-12-2015 09:04 PM

For some reason the forum double posted me.

Jake Wade 02-12-2015 09:28 PM

Your fan shroud turned out really good. Just in case it tries to fade back out on you, try this:

http://plastikote.com/products/Speci...per-Paint.html

It does a fantastic job and does not peel, flake, or scratch off.

I refinished the one on my '85 and it looks like new, has that semi gloss OEM finish to it.

Gregski 02-12-2015 09:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by greg64 (Post 7045940)
aC/DC (damn autocorrect) she shook me all night long.

Greg, Greg, Greg no sleeveless Puma shirt for you, it was Panama by the real Van Halen

Gregski 02-12-2015 09:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jake Wade (Post 7045994)
Your fan shroud turned out really good. Just in case it tries to fade back out on you, try this:

http://plastikote.com/products/Speci...per-Paint.html

It does a fantastic job and does not peel, flake, or scratch off.

I refinished the one on my '85 and it looks like new, has that semi gloss OEM finish to it.

Interesting, thanks Jake, that makes sense those modern bumpers are flexeeble and plastic

Gregski 02-12-2015 09:41 PM

1 Attachment(s)
just sayin'

Titomars 02-12-2015 09:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by greg64 (Post 7044851)
Great quote, Greg. I'll have to dig that movie out of my collection. The shroud looks a lot cleaner. Are you going to repaint it? I'll be honest, I don't much like the caddy air cleaner. Doesn't look like it belongs on a truck.

I agree about that caddy air cleaner. But I am enjoying the build. I love it when some brings back old running iron. One thing that is sort of a trademark on my vehicles is a set of caddy triple horns. nothing sounds sweeter and people move when they hear them. Both my 77 square and my 81 CJ7 run them. They are getting hard to find though, Cadillac stopped using them in the mid 80's.

Jake Wade 02-12-2015 09:55 PM

Speaking of horns, we got this crazy truck driver around here that passes by regular on short hauls, must be friends with one of the neibours, anyway, he has a genuine set of Kansas City Southern train horns on his Peterbuilt, Talk about get your attention!

greg64 02-12-2015 10:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gregski (Post 7046010)
Greg, Greg, Greg no sleeveless Puma shirt for you, it was Panama by the real Van Halen

Damn, I know that song too. But at least I proved I didn't cheat!;)

Titomars 02-13-2015 12:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gregski (Post 7046014)
just sayin'

Yeah I was out at mine Tuesday. As I am paying for my stuff they tell me about the sale. I spent 3+ hours picking over the square body bones. ;) :lol:

Gregski 02-13-2015 02:10 AM

Re: Restoring Rusty - GMC Tailgate

2 Attachment(s)
so decided to do a recon mission to one of the junk yards during lunch time today, just to know which ones to hit this weekend on account of that 50% off sale

so I am walking the yard, (I know it like the back of my hand) and I don't see any 73-87 trucks burbans nothin, usually there is at least four, then I see one, in the very last row, it's an 80 GMC

I walk around the back to see if it has a GMC tailgate and low and behold not only is there one, but someone has already unbolted it, it's just laying there in the bed

well they did that to yank the latch and the linkage, but for $37 bucks, I decided to buy it anyway

like my buddy says "even a blind squirrel finds a nut some times"

Gregski 02-13-2015 02:17 AM

2 Attachment(s)
don't get me wrong I'm happy as a clam with this tailgate, I really wanted one with the GMC in the middle and not off to the side, and I found one, anal I know

but anyway, now the real conundrum begins, this may be a "Second Design" tailgate and I kept my link assemblies but not the latches, man I don't even know if there are first and second design links, oh well I'll figure it out