The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/index.php)
-   The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   Restoring Rusty (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/showthread.php?t=645440)

crashz 03-24-2015 04:10 PM

Re: Restoring Rusty

For some reason I read that as "a can of wine". It's a Tuesday after all.

Actually I like that idea. For us dignified hooligans that want to join in with our friends, swilling booze, but have a refined palette!

rusty76 03-24-2015 06:20 PM

You might want to check and make sure your brake lines in back are good. I had a bad brake hose up front once and it would lock up the front caliper. Thought it was the caliper but it was the hose. Live and learn. Well if you're in a funk take the day off and enjoy a cup of joe. It'll all clear out.

enaberif 03-24-2015 07:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gregski (Post 7103552)
what else is going on in Camp Rusty?

well I fingered out why my truck ran real bad under acceleration although it idled perfectly after this most recent intake manifold gasket replacement, I swapped the #5 and #7 plug wires, thank you very much, so now it runs good

I still have that pesky rear wheel locking up on me although I replaced both rear wheel cylinders, so this weekend I think I am putting on new shoes and either turning the drums or putting on new ones

then I think I need to replace the square bearings in my power steering pump, and clean that area of the engine bay a little bit (ok a lot) so I can see what if anything leaks from there

and just went in the garage and checked on the oil leak from todays test drives and yup there's one, the size of my hand, nice, awesome, progress = zero

so The Greg is in a bit of a funk, nothing a glass of white wine can't cure, [ahem] I mean a cold one, a beer people, a beer

Fingering your truck is bad and why it probably gives you headaches. If you figured it out then it probably wouldn't be so mean to you.

Gregski 03-28-2015 12:21 AM

Re: Restoring Rusty - Hood Hinges

2 Attachment(s)
figured I would show off my hood hinge exercisers aka the Pro Mark 3000 Plus while I build up the primer coats to sand down on the hood (in the background)

now I'll admit it I'm not strong enuff to manipulate those darn hinges by hand so I had to turn to Physics, anyway I lubed them up with some White Lightning Grease so I wanted to open and close them a few times to work that in

Gregski 03-28-2015 12:25 AM

1 Attachment(s)
for the life of me couldn't get the 4 amp fuse out of the black wire that runs from the bulk head connector box to the starter without breaking it in half and having both ends end up stuck in the black rubber fuse holder

add to that the fact that my Parts Houses carry (and I kid you not) 1, 2, 3, 5, 7.5, etc. fuses and not a 4 amp one, and I decided to punt on the mini glass tube style and replace it with a manly PINK flat blade one

did the same for the black and white AMETER wire

spliced those in with some wire crimpers and those blue chinese hancuff looking connectors

Chaplain 03-28-2015 12:29 AM

Basic physics principle: w=fd
work=force x distance

Gregski 03-28-2015 12:33 AM

2 Attachment(s)
decided the fusible link has seen better days so snipped that out, need to go back to O'Reillys armed with a part number this time to get a replacement, I recon this 16 gauge one will do the trick

Dorman Conduct-Tite! - Fusible Link Wire
Part # 85621

http://www.oreillyauto.com/site/c/de...0220&ppt=C0172

Gregski 03-28-2015 12:37 AM

Learning the hardway that build primer is for filling tiny little scratches and not pitted metal from years of rust - for that you need to shmear the surface with bondo I recond, a job I refuse to do so primer + paint will have to do, hope to shoot the paint tomorrow

painting this heavy huge hood is proving to be a bear as I do the tango with it in and out in and out of the garage so I don't pass out from the fumes and or get sanded dust all over my pristine garage, LOL

greg64 03-28-2015 01:12 AM

Glad to hear you're still banging away, Greg.

pontgta 03-28-2015 10:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gregski (Post 7109243)
Learning the hardway that build primer is for filling tiny little scratches and not pitted metal from years of rust - for that you need to shmear the surface with bondo I recond, a job I refuse to do so primer + paint will have to do, hope to shoot the paint tomorrow

painting this heavy huge hood is proving to be a bear as I do the tango with it in and out in and out of the garage so I don't pass out from the fumes and or get sanded dust all over my pristine garage, LOL

This is what i use for scratches and fill minor chips....not for filling in dents

http://www.autobodytoolmart.com/imag...-400-putty.gif

Great work....always wondering when greg is going to give us another update...lol

Gregski 03-28-2015 11:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chaplain (Post 7109235)
Basic physics principle: w=fd
work=force x distance

good to know, lol

Gregski 03-28-2015 02:53 PM

Re: Restoring Rusty - Hood Braces

5 Attachment(s)
got more goodies from LMC truck this time it was the braces to get rid of the kink in the hood, cost about $20 bucks, friends said make your own, I figured what the heck I'll try these

so I primered them then painted them black

last pick shows me installing them on the hood off the truck

have not mounted the hood back on yet so I can't tell you if they work or not, will do so in a later post

Gregski 03-28-2015 02:58 PM

Re: Restoring Rusty - Painting The Hood

3 Attachment(s)
block sanded the hood of the car a bit in preparation for paint and figured this is as good as it is going to get

picked up 8 cans of paint for $130 bones, six perfect match glossy finish, and two with some flat clear mixed in since the truck is 40 years old and no longer glossy to use as clear coat

daughter is out of town, so the swing set is mine

bnoon 03-28-2015 03:33 PM

I've been meaning to get some of those hood reinforcements. Mine's not bad at all, but there is a slight bow to it. Hinges can be a bear for sure unless they're looooobed.

Gregski 03-28-2015 05:33 PM

1 Attachment(s)
ok so lets run through the hood painting or I should say stripping (jk) process

here it is wiped down with Denatured Alcohol ready for the first coat

Gregski 03-28-2015 05:35 PM

Re: Restoring Rusty - Hood: First Coat of Paint

1 Attachment(s)
first coat of paint on the hood, same as always one spray can = one coat

Gregski 03-28-2015 05:38 PM

Re: Restoring Rusty - Hood: Second Coat of Paint

1 Attachment(s)
yes I did pick the windiest day of spring to paint

second coat, second can

Gregski 03-28-2015 05:41 PM

Re: Restoring Rusty - Hood: Third Coat of Paint

1 Attachment(s)
at this point I was seriously considering doing a Watermelon theme the tiger stripping was so bad, worst in my entire career, LOL

Gregski 03-28-2015 05:43 PM

Re: Restoring Rusty - Hood: Fourth Coat of Paint

1 Attachment(s)
I recalled painting houses with my daddy when I was a boy and we learned that the best way to hide imperfections was with more imperfections, so I may have gone up and down on this fourth coat if not on the third one already instead of side to side

Gregski 03-28-2015 05:48 PM

Re: Restoring Rusty - Hood: Fifth Coat of Paint

1 Attachment(s)
I may have shot the fifth coat of paint diagonally, again to get rid of the stripes / checkered board

Gregski 03-28-2015 05:51 PM

Re: Restoring Rusty - Hood: Sixth Coat of Paint

1 Attachment(s)
six coat of paint went on diagonally opposite of the prior coat as if I was painting an X on the hood, hey you gotta do what you gotta do

this was the last coat of 4 oz of paint, you see the paint shop can only add about 4 ounces of actual paint into their aerosol cans which already contain some magical potion to mix it with

this is what we are learning along the process, so about a cup of paint goes into an aerosol can, so I did 6 cups so far

Gregski 03-28-2015 05:55 PM

Re: Restoring Rusty - Hood: Seventh Coat of Paint

1 Attachment(s)
ok, the last two cans are a bit different (the truck is no longer new so the paint has flattened out and lost it's shine)

the final two cans only contain 2 oz of actual paint mixed 1:1 with 2 oz of some flattening clear

you can not buy flat clear in an aerosol can for automotive use, the stuff for your home is a different kind of paint, is what The Greg has been told

so this shop is winging some one off formula for me

Gregski 03-28-2015 05:58 PM

Re: Restoring Rusty - Hood: Eighth Coat of Paint

1 Attachment(s)
OK, 8th and final coat of paint, same as the last one

2 oz of paint plus 2 oz of flat(ish) clear

guys if you catch me telling you lies, please correct me, I am no authority on painting by any means, I am just sharing what I am learning and hoping to help some folks out

bottom line, good paint aint cheap, good paint jobs aint cheap, and they are massive amounts of prep work to do it right, that's probably why they cost so much

apologies for the shadows, naturally my paint job was interrupted by having to drive a kid across town to a function, I bet Foose can't paint a hood while playing taxi driver, LOL

Gregski 03-28-2015 06:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bnoon (Post 7109774)
I've been meaning to get some of those hood reinforcements. Mine's not bad at all, but there is a slight bow to it. Hinges can be a bear for sure unless they're looooobed.

ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure

greg64 03-28-2015 07:20 PM

Hood looks pretty good to me, Greg! Could you get the front edge properly with it hanging in that orientation? I would have thought it would be easier to spin it 180 degrees. So now the hood will match Rusty's new front fender.