The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/index.php)
-   The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   Restoring Rusty (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/showthread.php?t=645440)

Chrispbrown36 04-10-2015 10:57 PM

Re: Restoring Rusty

I am glad you did the troubleshooting on the reverse lights. I have to do it myself eventually. Thanks for blazing the trail man!

Gregski 04-11-2015 02:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by greg64 (Post 7128031)
The rear brake/turn signals pass through the turn signal switch on the steering column... Since the hazard works, it's clear that the bulb itself works and that the wire is intact...I think the problem is in the turn signal switch.

Yup I was afraid of that, and since I just replaced one old flasher and one new one with two matching brand new ones and that did not do the trick, I think I have no choice but to tear the steering column apart - AGAIN

Gregski 04-11-2015 02:46 AM

Re: Restoring Rusty - Turn Signal Switch

3 Attachment(s)
say, whacha got there Greg? A brand new shinny turn signal switch? Nice! How much did that set you back? $38 bucks from O'Reillys - not bad

Now if you only had that when you had the steering column all apart in order to replace that key lock cylinder?

Wait what did you say? You did have it back then? Well why on God's green earth did you not install it then you Pollack?

Gregski 04-11-2015 02:50 AM

2 Attachment(s)
Oh, I see.. you did try to install it but the darn thing would not plug in to the existing harness and you didn't want to fandango the new connector to "make it work" ok I get it, cause if it still didn't plug in or work you couldn't return it any more

so as my buddy says, what did you expect from an underwear company, LOL

Gregski 04-11-2015 02:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chrispbrown36 (Post 7128311)
I am glad you did the troubleshooting on the reverse lights. I have to do it myself eventually. Thanks for blazing the trail man!

You're welcome Chris, hope you find it useful, I was a bit lazy on documenting the entire process this time, wasn't sexy enuff, LOL

greg64 04-11-2015 09:57 AM

Greg, that's funny that you already had the switch! I think there are adapters to convert to the different style connectors. I saw them when I bought my new switch from RockAuto.

If you can get the connectors figured out you could test the new switch without pulling the steering column apart again, just to be sure this is really the problem.

Gregski 04-11-2015 12:28 PM

2 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by Titomars (Post 7079526)
A small warning about painting the booster. In no time the paint will be off it in areas due to the normal brake fluid seepage. That is why they were never painted. You might try something epoxy based.

Well Goooood Morning to me Rusty!

Why you dirty rabbit!

Gregski 04-11-2015 12:32 PM

2 Attachment(s)
Would you care to explain yourself Greg?

Why sure your honor.

You see all was well until The Greg realized he forgot to put the Booster Push Rod back in when he did the brakes a few weeks ago. So the other day he quickly removed the master cylinder and while nobody was a lookin' he put the rod back in. Problem solved he thought.

Well that was just the opportunity for the brake fluid to seep out, like a thief in the night under the cover of darkness.... hee hee

Gregski 04-11-2015 12:34 PM

all together now

" IT AINT EASY !!! "

cnorth 04-11-2015 01:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gregski (Post 7128495)
Yup I was afraid of that, and since I just replaced one old flasher and one new one with two matching brand new ones and that did not do the trick, I think I have no choice but to tear the steering column apart - AGAIN

I think it is just your meticulous approach to the revival of rusty that you put yourself through this keep up the outstanding work

Gregski 04-11-2015 07:37 PM

Re: Restoring Rusty - Turn Signal Switch Hell

3 Attachment(s)
Saturday

...so the day began with a tour of all the auto parts stores in town

As you recall I bought a turn signal switch at OReillys that would not plug in to my original harness, so...

NAPA - had the same one as OReillys

AutoZone - had the same one as NAPA and OReillys

Tognottis - were out of stock but could order the same one

PepBoys - were out of stock but could order the same one

so it was time to take matters into my own hands, now you haven't wrenched until you modified a part or better yet modified a tool or made your own

now does this make me a Master Mechanic (I didn't say that) LOL but I did make my own tool, for the record that is

Gregski 04-11-2015 07:40 PM

1 Attachment(s)
for those of you who think I am nuts, here are the two plugs compared, trust me they be different

TOP - old original one

BOTTOM - new and disproved one (hee, hee)

(someone mentioned get an adapter, well the only place that had some sort of adapter it was for the 67-72 trucks plus it cost $50 bucks plus shipping and had to be ordered)

Gregski 04-11-2015 07:43 PM

4 Attachment(s)
having swapped the connector, it was time to test the new switch before pulling out the old one completely and feeding the new one through, no sense if that aint be the cure

Gregski 04-11-2015 07:45 PM

1 Attachment(s)
ok, that fixed the left rear turn signal, ie Yellow wire

pic of my least favorite step in tearing apart the steering column, getting that stupid ring clip out with a flat screw driver, I swear even the manual says just use a flat screw driver, geez lame design

Gregski 04-11-2015 07:48 PM

2 Attachment(s)
ok some parting shots of the turn signal switches before one goes in and the other goes in the trash

I tried to see what possibly could be broken with the old one, but gave up, having bought a replacement already, and going to file this under cheap insurance

it did have a crack where the turn signal lever screws in, left side of the pic above the round hole

Gregski 04-11-2015 11:32 PM

1 Attachment(s)
guys would you know what's the difference between Electric Parts Cleaner and Electronic Cleaner?

I bought both hoping my old turn signal switch just needed a good cleanin'

same company makes both, so they aint just competitors

greg64 04-11-2015 11:32 PM

That's great that it worked!

Gregski 04-11-2015 11:35 PM

~ i gots to tell you I am a bit electroniced out, tired of wires and switches, give me some nuts and bolts and old fashion grease anyday ~

Gregski 04-11-2015 11:44 PM

Re: Restoring Rusty - Power Steering Pump

2 Attachment(s)
and so we move on to the Power Steering Pump, I hear a noise when I turn the steering wheel to the left and when I turn it to the right, sounds like somebodys' stomach's growling, plus it is filthy and I can't tell if it's leaking or it leaked back when some dude named Noah borrowed the truck to build a boat or something like that

Gregski 04-11-2015 11:47 PM

4 Attachment(s)
so out it comes, lets take a closer look at that beauty

Gregski 04-11-2015 11:51 PM

1 Attachment(s)
and this is the burrow she left behind, I see some paper towels and Mineral Spirits in my future

Gregski 04-11-2015 11:55 PM

2 Attachment(s)
and so it begins...

Gregski 04-11-2015 11:58 PM

1 Attachment(s)
removed the pulley... I ordered a new pump and I'm sure it aint gonna come with a pulley, also since I don't know how much free play there should be in the shaft as it moves a tiny bit to and fro in the bearing I am cleaning this pump in case I can salvage it, the shaft actually rotates pretty smoothly I expected to hear some square bearing noise or at least rubbing

Gregski 04-12-2015 12:00 AM

1 Attachment(s)
and a couple hours later

looks like I will be getting two new hoses, the high pressure hose and the low pressure one, both have cracks

looks like all I may be keeping is the brackets and the pulley, and after all that cleaning, nice going Greg

Gregski 04-12-2015 12:03 AM

4 Attachment(s)
ah what the heck lets get some glamour shots of that ol' pump, why not