The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/index.php)
-   The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   Restoring Rusty (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/showthread.php?t=645440)

enaberif 04-12-2015 12:35 AM

Re: Restoring Rusty

Does the bracket that mounts to the water pump have the nut still attached to it? Mine didn't and it took me forever to figure out why it was such a pain in the ass to install lol. I had to weld a new nut on and fixed the issue.

rich weyand 04-12-2015 10:35 AM

When you refill the system, use synthetic P/S fluid. Much reduced steering effort and greater pump efficiency. I can palm the wheel lock to lock on my K10 while sitting still on clean dry pavement at 750 rpm idle.

Gregski 04-12-2015 10:47 AM

3 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by enaberif (Post 7129581)
Does the bracket that mounts to the water pump have the nut still attached to it? Mine didn't and it took me forever to figure out why it was such a pain in the ass to install lol. I had to weld a new nut on and fixed the issue.

Why yes, yes it do, here are some pics of it from different angles

Gregski 04-12-2015 02:28 PM

2 Attachment(s)
cleaned that side of the block a bit to get it ready for the new pump and the newly painted brackets

it is just the right amount of clean for a truck, you don't wanna over do it you know, jk

Gregski 04-12-2015 02:30 PM

Hey what do you know, there are two bolt holes down there anybody know what bolts up to those (in a different application of course, I know that) do Camaros have something there for example?

enaberif 04-12-2015 03:04 PM

Lower bolt holes are for car alternator mounts or power steering mounts. You can have high or low mounts. The same holes are on the other side.

I'm glad you cleaned up that hole I was wondering if it had a frost plug in it.

CodyWorks 04-12-2015 06:12 PM

Finally!!! It took me forever but I'm finally caught up on this thread, and on Gregski's truck. I'm hooked! Great progress brother.

Cody

greg64 04-12-2015 07:10 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by enaberif (Post 7130141)
Lower bolt holes are for car alternator mounts or power steering mounts. You can have high or low mounts. The same holes are on the other side.

I'm glad you cleaned up that hole I was wondering if it had a frost plug in it.

Now, I'm not saying you're wrong, but I had thought those bolt holes (and the ones on the other side) were for a front-engine horseshoe mount. Back in the days where the bellhousing had mounts on both sides. Also for medium duty trucks with a single front mount.

Anybody seen factory brackets that hang the alternator off these holes?

enaberif 04-12-2015 07:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by greg64 (Post 7130407)
Now, I'm not saying you're wrong, but I had thought those bolt holes (and the ones on the other side) were for a front-engine horseshoe mount. Back in the days where the bellhousing had mounts on both sides. Also for medium duty trucks with a single front mount.

Anybody seen factory brackets that hang the alternator off these holes?

Yes that is another reason why they are like that as well.

Low mount alternator -> http://i.ebayimg.com/images/i/360668...-1/s-l1000.jpg
Low mount power steering -> http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/a...1&d=1245449377

You won't normally see these used in trucks because of our frames and how they get in the way. But in cars and older trucks they could work because of more open space.

Gregski 04-12-2015 08:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by enaberif (Post 7130438)

We will accept the lower power steering mount but the Russian judge objects to the lower alternator mount photo as it appears to be an after market fab. Now we are not saying the alternator can not hang from there, I think on the big blocks it might could though I think the power steering pump going there is more likely, se we will need a stock OEM photo in order to move you to the lightning round, LOL

Gregski 04-12-2015 10:37 PM

1 Attachment(s)
for some reason I decided I was not going to paint the pulley in the valley of the belts, maybe cause it looked unpainted originally, maybe cause a part of me believed the paint would make the belt stick

so anyway, rolled up two paper towels and shoved them in the groove, and that kept the paint out nicely

Gregski 04-12-2015 10:40 PM

2 Attachment(s)
I must say the reason I bought a GM product was because I reconned the parts would be in abundance, I mean they made 1/2 a million of 'em and then they made a 1/2 a million more, LOL

yet here we are watchin' the paint dry while we wait on the power steerin' pump to arrive

Gregski 04-12-2015 10:44 PM

Re: Restoring Rusty - Power Steering Pump Hardware

1 Attachment(s)
man I hope I 'member where at least half this hardware goes, LOL

semi cleaned, (but not too much)

enaberif 04-12-2015 11:02 PM

The hardest part about re-installing the power steering pump is all the damn spacers. I'm not sure what happened with my truck but I had to use a lot of washers in different areas so that I could get my power steering pump to be squared and have a straight belt.

y5mgisi 04-13-2015 08:29 PM

Fun stuff!

T_Rip75 04-13-2015 10:29 PM

Great thread man. I just got a '75 Chevy K10 and you have given me some great ideas/tips.

bnoon 04-14-2015 08:38 AM

The only thing better than the Greg's work is the Greg's commentary. Love this thread.

And I thought I told you about repinning the connector! I had to do the same thing to adapt the later column to my '74. GMC, and then again to adapt the later turn signal lever to Red Ryder as well. Very easy to do. I did manage to stab my thumb with the "professional" tool (sharp pick). Maybe I should have used a paper clip as well...

Gregski 04-14-2015 11:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bnoon (Post 7132608)
The only thing better than the Greg's work is the Greg's commentary. Love this thread.

Thank you I appreciate the feedback, keeps me giong, when it seems like it's two steps forward and one step back, you know what I mean fellas

Gregski 04-14-2015 11:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bnoon (Post 7132608)
And I thought I told you about repinning the connector!

Did you really? I'm sorry if I keep not listening to you like that we're gonna have to get married, (I kid, I kid)

Gregski 04-14-2015 01:16 PM

A note to anyone who shoots me a friend request, I accept them all, or at least try to, I am using Chrome as my browser and for some reason I am unable to accept friends, take that as you will, LOL, I will try to fix this issue

Gregski 04-14-2015 01:25 PM

wanna share a Lesson Learned about the Power Steering Pump, I don't know why but before I went on this journey I thought the steering pump was one magical unit a black box that made steering easier, the steering shaft was the input and some rods connected to the wheels acted as the output, and whalla you got power steering

Well, the power steering pump is only half of the equation is what I learned, the other half is the steering box in our case or a steering rack in the rack and pinion applications

Furthermore the steering pump is similar to the AC system as it also has a low pressure and high pressure hoses, sure now that makes sense, but before I took it all apart I didn't even conceptualize that, so

Steering Pump <=> Hoses <=> Steering Box

well you all probably knew that but I just wanted to share, maybe to get some of you thinking about it, if you hadn't already

enaberif 04-14-2015 01:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gregski (Post 7132951)
wanna share a Lesson Learned about the Power Steering Pump, I don't know why but before I went on this journey I thought the steering pump was one magical unit a black box that made steering easier, the steering shaft was the input and some rods connected to the wheels acted as the output, and whalla you got power steering

Well, the power steering pump is only half of the equation is what I learned, the other half is the steering box in our case or a steering rack in the rack and pinion applications

Furthermore the steering pump is similar to the AC system as it also has a low pressure and high pressure hoses, sure now that makes sense, but before I took it all apart I didn't even conceptualize that

well you all probably knew that but I just wanted to share, maybe to get some of you thinking about it, if you hadn't already

The high pressure and low pressure hose can be determined as the high pressure hose has the clamped fittings where the low pressure hose can use hose clamps.

The low pressure hose is more of a return line that feeds back into the reservoir. When you turn the wheel the high pressure hose is in use to allow the easy movement of the steering box to pitman arm to steering arm to tie rods.

When you release off the turn it uses the return line to feed fluid back to the reservoir.

Gregski 04-14-2015 01:28 PM

Re: Restoring Rusty - You Hoser

2 Attachment(s)
picked up some parts last night and took today off to start turning some wrenches

so lets compare the old and new high pressure hoses

they look a bit different but I hope the new one will fit right

Gregski 04-14-2015 01:31 PM

1 Attachment(s)
as you saw above you buy a pre manufactured (and I use that term loosely) high pressure hose, but you buy the low pressure hose, aka the return line by the foot, just make sure the AutoZoner hands you the right type of hose, I'm just sayin'

I bought a 2 foot long section to allow room for error

Gregski 04-14-2015 01:35 PM

4 Attachment(s)
so far so good... well till I picked up the Remanufactured (pronounced: remangled) power steering pump from O'Reilly's (pronounced: Oh really, as in oh really, you want me to put that on my truck)

I hate to sound so negative, but this thing is garbage, look at the return line 90* elbow fitting thing, compare my old one with a nice sweeping curve to the sharp and twisted and deformed new one

I believe if you have to write "Quality" on your box three times in different languages, well maybe your part ain't all that quality