The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/index.php)
-   The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   Restoring Rusty (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/showthread.php?t=645440)

Chaplain 04-14-2015 09:16 PM

Re: Restoring Rusty

Quote:

Originally Posted by greg64 (Post 7133538)
Wait a minute on the steering box. It's far easier to release the tapered joint at the other end of the pitman arm with a pickle fork. Unless, of course, you're looking to replace the pitman arm.

The way to get the pitman arm off is with a puller. You apply a fair bit of tension with the puller, and the tap the pitman arm from the side with a hammer. The puller alone won't do it, at least in my experience.

True dat... I removed mine last Sunday.

Gregski 04-14-2015 09:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chaplain (Post 7133599)
True dat... I removed mine last Sunday.

Hey man who's side are you on? LOL us rookies must stick together, don't let pros tell ya what to do! jk

Chaplain 04-14-2015 09:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Titomars (Post 7133593)
Yeah I hear ya. I hate those "rag" joints. Cut from old tire carcasses. LOL

Steering dampener?

greg64 04-14-2015 09:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gregski (Post 7133555)
Says the man who hasn't faced the wroth of the stupid nut that you have to git off first!!! Man not only was it one size bigger than the largest wrench I own, but not even tapping the tool with a sledge could loosen it up... stubborn little fella!

Okay, I may have an unfair advantage there. I have impact sockets big enough for all these nuts, and the air impact wrench to drive them.

I did once get the pitman arm nut off with a pipe wrench with a length of pipe over the handle. I think the tighten torque is something like 160 ft-lbs, so you know it'll be tougher still to get it off.

68Timber 04-14-2015 09:25 PM

I'm guessing you've seen this, but just in case you haven't Tx Firefighter did a great how-to on fixing a leaky steering box here: LINK.

greg64 04-14-2015 09:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chaplain (Post 7133614)
Steering dampener?

Ya, those rag joints cut down on vibration. And they aren't the "final word" because there are two steel pins in slots so that if the rag joint ever rotted out and was too weak, you wouldn't lose your steering.

enaberif 04-14-2015 09:49 PM

Just be glad you don't have to remove the actual steering arm. Those tapered cone washers are hell!

Chaplain 04-14-2015 09:50 PM

I worried about how to get my new gear box lined up with the pitman arm and the steering wheel/column.

Titomars 04-15-2015 12:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by greg64 (Post 7133621)
Ya, those rag joints cut down on vibration. And they aren't the "final word" because there are two steel pins in slots so that if the rag joint ever rotted out and was too weak, you wouldn't lose your steering.

Yeah I still hate the things. I have replaced way too many of them. So I just don't trust them. I plan to replace my intermediate shaft with u-joints as both ends. eventually.

greg64 04-15-2015 08:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Titomars (Post 7133877)
Yeah I still hate the things. I have replaced way too many of them. So I just don't trust them. I plan to replace my intermediate shaft with u-joints as both ends. eventually.

I agree that the rag joint seems pretty bush-league. With proper u joints in there, how much have you noticed the vibration goes up?

Titomars 04-15-2015 09:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by greg64 (Post 7134028)
I agree that the rag joint seems pretty bush-league. With proper u joints in there, how much have you noticed the vibration goes up?

I went to a double u joint shaft in my CJ7 (GM steering system). The pros out weigh the cons to me. The only con (for some) is you will get more "road feel". By going to u joint shaft you take out that insulator of a rag joint. but
I don't notice any vibrations just a very positive steering system where I can feel somewhat where the tires are and going through.

Gregski 04-15-2015 10:43 AM

4 Attachment(s)
so picked up my $40 dollar power steering pump for $80 bucks from Carquest, LOL maybe the extra $40 bucks is for the pink blanket it comes with, hee hee

for $80 bucks you think they could afford to put a picture of the actual contents on the box instead of some generic pump photo

I'm pretty sure this is no better than what I got from OReilly's but we'll see, I think some of these parts come from the same source, that's why the resellers rebrand them as their own, Autozone, O'Reillys, NAPA, Carquest, PepBoys

I would prefer to see the manufacturers logo on the box, but then we could compare apples to apples price wise, and the resellers don't want that

[end of rant]

Gregski 04-16-2015 01:13 AM

3 Attachment(s)
so started wire wheelin the frame rail and a bit under the cab in preparation for POR15, not fun, ended up removing the front bumper, again for better access

tomorrow I should paint it black with POR15 to match the other side

JacobSchni 04-16-2015 02:13 AM

by the way por 15 doesnt stick as well to bare metal compared to to rusted. from what ive seen, just a quick one over to remove loose rust will work best.

greg64 04-16-2015 08:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JacobSchni (Post 7135238)
by the way por 15 doesnt stick as well to bare metal compared to to rusted. from what ive seen, just a quick one over to remove loose rust will work best.

I'd agree with this. I've had por-15 peel off when used on shiny steel. That's when I started using the Metal Ready spray (has some new name now) first, and that cured the problem.

enaberif 04-16-2015 08:59 AM

Quote:

That is because POR15 like a lot of other products are a "rust encapsulator". If you take your frame down to bare metal then use tremclad paint instead.

cnorth 04-16-2015 10:18 AM

My compliments on your progress as usual and your meticulous approach is a inspiration to all of us, and i wish i had the knowledge to help you with some of your problems but all i have is a tip for you.

I have a Portable Abrasive Blaster Kit it's old and from sears but has saved me a ton of time when cleaning up parts I've seen them at harbor freight for $40 the trick is to capture the media as you use it and just reuse it.

Gregski 04-16-2015 10:54 AM

Quote:

I think you are right, I am learning that too, needless to say I am a bit of a slow learner, lol, that and I have a hard time accepting that I am painting over rust, but I think I am getting over it as removing it is difficult

Gregski 04-16-2015 10:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by greg64 (Post 7135374)
I'd agree with this. I've had por-15 peel off when used on shiny steel. That's when I started using the Metal Ready spray (has some new name now) first, and that cured the problem.

The Greg is a proud owner of Metal Ready (pronounce expensive made up of a tiny bit of Phosphoric acid diluted with a lot of water and a blue urinal biscuit thrown in for color, hee hee) but hey if that's what it takes, The Greg will git er done

Gregski 04-16-2015 01:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cnorth (Post 7135440)
My compliments on your progress as usual and your meticulous approach is a inspiration to all of us...

Thank you very much I appreciate that

Gregski 04-16-2015 09:24 PM

3 Attachment(s)
welcome to another Charge of the Light [truck] Brigade

another day, another wire wheel, I swear one can easily spend as much on these wire wheels (almost $20 a pop) as the purchase of some of our "project" trucks, if I keep visiting Depot Home (as my mum says) like this I may as well suggest they open up a drive through

needless (pun) to say one must replace these every 3 months or 3,000 miles, LOL

(one of these on the LEFT is the used one, can you guess which one that is?)

Gregski 04-16-2015 09:29 PM

5 Attachment(s)
so we managed to get some POR15 black paint on the frame rail

UPDATE: Five years later, the POR15 paint is pealing off in huge chunks the size of 3x5 cards, do not recommend this product at all!

Gregski 04-16-2015 09:33 PM

3 Attachment(s)
so while the frame rail was drying we decided to check on our inner fender which had been marinating in a light muriatic acid / water bath

you can see where the liquid could reach, as there is a distinct line, I could not fit the entire fender into my container so I would rotate it upside down, and down side up, etc

greg64 04-16-2015 09:36 PM

I hear ya, Gregski. I've gone through a million wire brush wheels in my grinder too.

Gregski 04-16-2015 09:36 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Could someone explain to me please, why when one single tiny drop of brake fluid drips from my master brake cylinder onto my brake booster it takes off half the paint off of it, yet when I shmear / lather the entire inner fender with DOT 3 brake fluid it won't remove a single spec ???