The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/index.php)
-   The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   Windshield install question (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/showthread.php?t=811919)

bean 09-14-2020 08:58 AM

Windshield install question

Tried over and over again yesterday to install windshield in my 72 but no luck. Couple of questions... Which is easier starting at the top of the bottom? Secondly what have you guys used for lubricant? I tried soapy water as well as glass cleaner but in this texas heat both seem to dry really fast. Seemed like my biggest struggle was getting the glass centered in and the windshield wouldn't move much. Anyhow any and all help is appreciated.

LockDoc 09-14-2020 09:50 AM

Re: Windshield install question

Quote:

Originally Posted by bean (Post 8807863)
Tried over and over again yesterday to install windshield in my 72 but no luck. Couple of questions... Which is easier starting at the top of the bottom? Secondly what have you guys used for lubricant? I tried soapy water as well as glass cleaner but in this texas heat both seem to dry really fast. Seemed like my biggest struggle was getting the glass centered in and the windshield wouldn't move much. Anyhow any and all help is appreciated.

This is going to be short & sweet since you already know the basics, and not everyone is going to agree with me.

First off you need at least one helper and preferably two for the installation.

I always set the bottom in first so the weight of the glass holds it in place over the pinch weld. Yes, this makes the top corners a little harder to get in place but overall makes the whole process easier for me. In the heat you will need to use Vaseline or something similar that doesn't dry out for a lube.

Everybody does it different, but I have installed quite a few windshields, with used and new gaskets, and with and without the trim, and never had much of a problem.

LockDoc

bean 09-14-2020 12:01 PM

Thank you lockdoc!

gmc684x4 09-14-2020 01:37 PM

If you have two helpers both can help keep the glass pushed up if you put the top in first that is how we did my windshield last month
We did that since i didn't want to fit with the square corners

RenoKeene 09-14-2020 02:15 PM

My experience is if you have the gasket with trim start from the top down as the corners are the hardest like LockDoc said. Without the trim work from the bottom up. The trim is a notorious pain to get right, many, many threads on here you can reference.
Good Luck.

bean 09-14-2020 02:46 PM

It sounds like or bottom first is really more a matter of personal preference. I think I will try the vaseline idea and try bottom first can always switch if first time doesn't work. When I put the sliding window in back that s how I did it and it was pretty easy. We 'll see what happens. Thank you for your responses.

Bowler1 09-14-2020 02:47 PM

I hope you are using a cotton rope in the pinchweld pocket that makes it a lot easier. I installed windshields for 30 plus years have rope start at bottom middle start bottom first that is one of easiest windshields to install.

bean 09-14-2020 04:24 PM

Thank you

Putzer 09-14-2020 04:37 PM

Had a heck of a time installing mine. I tried with my ole lady helping me and it didnt go well. Had my buddy come over and we had it installed within 20 mins. Need to keep pressure the entire time with open palms from outside. Set bottom first.

Richard 09-15-2020 01:24 AM

Just did my 72 w/trim on Sunday. My wife helped me set it on the window opening and did the rest myself. An FYI, petroleum based lubricants are generally not recommended. Use window cleaner if you want lubricant. Did mine dry. Used a hook tool, rope and two nice pump up suction cups for glass. Pulled top edge in first, then sides. Moved suction cups to inside window to pull window in and up as I worked bottom into place. Fought me a bit. Though it has been a long time since I did one.

72bowtiestepper 09-16-2020 09:30 AM

Going to try to do my 72 without trim soon....is it easier when the temp is warm ? Thanks for the tips already posted. The videos I have seen said start at the top...seems the bottom would be easier.

LockDoc 09-16-2020 10:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 72bowtiestepper (Post 8808879)
Going to try to do my 72 without trim soon....is it easier when the temp is warm ? Thanks for the tips already posted. The videos I have seen said start at the top...seems the bottom would be easier.

Higher temp makes the rubber seal more pliable and easier to work over the pinch weld.

LockDoc

72c20customcamper 09-18-2020 09:32 AM

Always started on the bottom 2 guys outside one inside working the rope for lube we used Ru-Glyde rubber lubricant. In winter we would heat the rubber with heat lamps prior to install .

72bowtiestepper 09-18-2020 09:43 AM

Thanks a bunch Lockdoc & 72customcamper !

68 P.O.S. 09-18-2020 10:16 AM

Precision has a good video on YouTube where they show how to install one in our trucks.

68 P.O.S. 09-20-2020 05:10 PM

https://youtu.be/SOU_0HpS7To