The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/index.php)
-   The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   Restoring Rusty (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/showthread.php?t=645440)

y5mgisi 03-05-2015 11:48 PM

Re: Restoring Rusty

Sounds like it might be sucking air. I would verify all the clamps are tight and make sure there are no cracks in any of the lines.

Titomars 03-06-2015 12:00 AM

does it have dual tanks? Mine did the same thing when I first got it. I drove it around for a few days no problems. Then the switch over valve got stuck between RH and LH sucking from both tanks when one tank went dry she stopped running even though the other tank had a full tank. I never seen that happen before either.

Gregski 03-06-2015 01:46 AM

wife gave me a ride home and we left Rusty parked at the gas station, young man at the register helped me even push him into a parking spot and away from the pumps, kid appreciates old iron, God bless him

came home had pizza fer dinner and drove back out to check on Rusty about an hour later with my tools

Rusty fired right up on the first try and I drove him home

... to be continued

Gregski 03-06-2015 01:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by y5mgisi (Post 7078174)
Sounds like it might be sucking air. I would verify all the clamps are tight and make sure there are no cracks in any of the lines.

Thanks, good tip, came home and did just that, removed the rubber line under the fuel pump that connects to the hard line and stuck it in a clean empty see through plastic water bottle, crawled under truck and removed the rubber line from the hard line that comes from the gas tank, attached a long black fuel line and clamped it down to the hard line, stuck the other end in my mouth and blew my 3 PSI into it, clean fuel came out the other end into the plastic catch all water bottle

lines are good

I installed a plastic see through fuel filter in the middle of a new black fuel rubber line between the hard line and the fuel pump

I also unscrewed the hard line from the fuel pump that goes to the carb and cleaned the threads with a wire brush and brake cleaner, there was some left over teflon tape on the threads that was all shreded and what not so I cleaned it up read good and dabbed a tiny bit of orange RTV gasket maker on the threads and screwed it back in nice and proper with a proper pipe wrench

... to be continued ...

Gregski 03-06-2015 01:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Titomars (Post 7078192)
does it have dual tanks?

Nope just one

Gregski 03-06-2015 02:00 AM

5 Attachment(s)
let's take a quick break from the troubleshootin' and talk about some fun stuff

came home and found this:

FYI: The quality is horrible, the top lid came already bent in one place, but I just used my thumbs to bend it back, since the top is made out of a single recycled 12 oz beer can, I kid you not

Gregski 03-06-2015 02:03 AM

Re: Restoring Rusty - Mr. Gasket Air Cleaner

4 Attachment(s)
Well let's see it on the truck.

So what do you all think? Better or worse than that Darth Vader helmet?

which by the way is for sale for only $50 plus shipping, best part is NEVER BEEN RACED, lol, pm me

and yes now I need a shorter stick to clamp this thing down with a wing nut, god forbid my three air cleaners were all the same height, jk

Titomars 03-06-2015 02:06 AM

Now, I like that air cleaner assembly. ;)

Gregski 03-06-2015 02:11 AM

Re: Restoring Rusty - Painted the Kick Panels

5 Attachment(s)
it was a nice day so I painted [ahem] stained them kick panels

three light coats, you know the drill

Gregski 03-06-2015 02:16 AM

5 Attachment(s)
whilst the paint was drying it was time to drill out the rivets and separate those air vent valves so that we can clean, prep and paint the metal and sandwich new rubber fillings in them eventually

Gregski 03-06-2015 02:19 AM

2 Attachment(s)
I buy you new shinny things, I clean and paint your bits, and this is how you thank me Rusty?

There is literally oil drizzlin' out of the top bolt hole behind the fuel pump?

Is that supposed to be a blind hole?

Do I have a crack in my block gentlemen? What gives? Please advise?

craig113 03-06-2015 02:22 AM

That is the fuel pump retaining bolt hole. Put a bit of teflon tape on a short bolt and tighten to stop the leak.

jetmech85 03-06-2015 02:31 AM

The hole is open to the fuel pump push rod. Install a 3/8 bolt about a half inch long with a lock washer and thread sealer and that should fix you up. When changing a fuel pump you can snug a longer bolt in that hole to hold the fuel pump push rod in place so it wont slide out against the adapter plate and cause you grief and anguish.

Gregski 03-06-2015 02:34 AM

3 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by Titomars (Post 7078335)
Now, I like that air cleaner assembly. ;)

thanks, here's a look how we got here

Chaplain 03-06-2015 02:37 AM

Smart people...

y5mgisi 03-06-2015 04:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jetmech85 (Post 7078355)
The hole is open to the fuel pump push rod. Install a 3/8 bolt about a half inch long with a lock washer and thread sealer and that should fix you up. When changing a fuel pump you can snug a longer bolt in that hole to hold the fuel pump push rod in place so it wont slide out against the adapter plate and cause you grief and anguish.

Exactly.

rusty76 03-06-2015 05:56 PM

Vent not clogged up or maybe hung up somehow and preventing it from allowing the gas to be sucked out of the gas tank? If the pump is working then there's a air leak some where I would suspect..... Hope you get it fixed soon.

rich weyand 03-06-2015 06:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rusty76 (Post 7078988)
Vent not clogged up or maybe hung up somehow and preventing it from allowing the gas to be sucked out of the gas tank? If the pump is working then there's a air leak some where I would suspect..... Hope you get it fixed soon.

Or no vent line, and unvented gas cap? That will do it.

So, you got two lines to the tank, or three?

If no vent line, all you have to do is drill a 1/16" hole in the gas cap.

greg64 03-06-2015 06:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rich weyand (Post 7079013)
Or no vent line, and unvented gas cap? That will do it.

If no vent line, all you have to do is drill a 1/16" hole in the gas cap.

I totally agree with the physics of this Rich, but I wonder about whether that will fly in California or not. The emissions police in BC would fail a cap like that.

brakenit 03-06-2015 07:27 PM

If I remember right his truck is a '74 which would make it emissions exempt in California.

rich weyand 03-06-2015 08:01 PM

Yeah, I think it depends on how it was equipped when new. No vent line means vented cap.

Of course you can check it by driving it till it stops, then open the gas cap. Sucking sound, then runs fine means no vent line.

rusty76 03-06-2015 08:23 PM

I feel for sure we are looking at a venting issue. It makes some what sense in what he is saying is happening with his truck. Hopefully we will find out.

Gregski 03-07-2015 12:20 AM

1 Attachment(s)
thank you all for helping me with the fuel issue

my tank has a vent that goes to the filler neck and then two hoses run to the engine bay one for fuel the other for evap to the charcoal canister

let me give you some updates

today I plugged that bolt hole that was leaking oil, I am sure I caused this issue when I deleted the A.I.R. pump as it looks like the bracket was attached to those holes, so I took one of the original bolts, cleaned it, put a little RTV on the threads and screwed it in

here's a pic of the Air Pump bracket

Gregski 03-07-2015 12:24 AM

4 Attachment(s)
I decided to get started on the brakes since I didn't want to trouble shoot a truck that won't run when it also may not wanna stop

so this is the situation the darn brake master cylinder looks like this after a short drive, all wet

Gregski 03-07-2015 12:36 AM

Re: Restoring Rusty - Brake Master Cylinder

5 Attachment(s)
so time to remove the brake master cylinder

I just had to take a peak inside, since part of me considered rebuilding it myself, like my daddy and I used to do back in the 80s when parts were fixable not replaceable

I was able to remove the first valve but I do not have needle nose pliers or the special pliers to get the other snap ring out which is half way down the cylinder