The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/index.php)
-   Tools, Shops and Shop Safety (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/forumdisplay.php?f=89)
-   -   Monitor Barn Garage Design (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/showthread.php?t=823318)

DeadheadNM 07-01-2021 10:40 PM

Monitor Barn Garage Design

3 Attachment(s)
I'm working on a design for a 42' wide 40' deep garage in the style of a monitor barn that could accommodate an RV in the center, two trucks/vehicles on either flanking lean-to side, and a small mezzanine. The doors would be 10x8 (x2) and 10 x 14 out front and a 6' wide 8' tall example along one side. Outer wall height 10' and just over 12' height under the mezzanine.

The staircase isn't the best use of space but not sure how else to play that without moving it outdoors.

Any thoughts/feedback? I should probably add a small side entry door and lose/raise the front window to accommodate a lamp over the center door.

PGSigns 07-05-2021 09:09 PM

Re: Monitor Barn Garage Design

I would put 9 foot tall doors in it. 8 foot is pretty short.
Jimmy

DeadheadNM 07-05-2021 09:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PGSigns (Post 8940239)
I would put 9 foot tall doors in it. 8 foot is pretty short.
Jimmy

Good suggestion. Thank you.

Keith Seymore 07-06-2021 10:15 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Looks good. I think the stairway location makes sense. My guess is you have enough room for the outdoor light with the front window as is: I'm picturing either a sodium vapor or an old "gas station" type fixture (picture is kinda small but I just added those to my barn).

K

Sidebar: Funny Story -

I was working with a friend of mine on the GMT800 air induction system. Around about that time he was thinking of building a barn and was looking at different architectural styles, trying to decide what he wanted it to look like.

We had to walk over to talk to one of the other engineers, a young lady, who evidently had horses, judging from the number of framed photographs she had sitting on and around her desk.

Tom asked her "are these your horses?".

She answered to the affirmative and launched into a long narrative about each one. Obviously she was pretty proud.

Without missing a beat, and without prompting, both me and Tom responded in unison: "Nice barn".

(lol)

K

DeadheadNM 07-06-2021 11:24 AM

3 Attachment(s)
Hi Keith. Am thinking of the same style lamps that you have. Here’s a mock-up of the changes. Thanks for sharing. I may nix the side door awning.

That’s funny

biketopia 07-06-2021 02:18 PM

Looks good, and quite jealous of it. I would nix the side door awning, use PVC for the trim around the doors so you don't have to deal with rain splash rotting out everything from the bottom. I would also consider putting the stairs out side... Unless you just absolutely don't want to do that, but it eats up a bunch of area inside the garage. Helped a buddy build a large 3 car with an apartment over top and he was going to do stairs inside, until he laid it out and saw how much room it really took up. Having a set outside made it a more direct access without a bunch of turns so moving stuff in and out was also nice. What will be above the center bay? Will you have plumbing out there? If so you could always put a half bath under the stairs if you kept them inside and then some storage I guess.

DeadheadNM 07-07-2021 08:56 AM

I completely agree the stairs eat up a bunch of space. I've wonder if a partially folding/mobile segment could be incorporated that would swing the lower stairs away for more clearance. Outside stairs would be nice especially with a porch that could shelter some additional storage for say kayaks or canoes. Depending on where this goes that might be the route I take.

The center bay ceiling would be largely open to let light inside. The mezzanine could potentially be extended forward more. I'd love to have plumbing but not sure that's in the cards given whet I imagine to be the hassle of connecting to the septic tank and plumbing a supply line from the house. I should probably plan for drains in the floor though.

Any suggestions on finishing the inside walls? Sheetrock would be the default but are there other options? Old barnwood is plentiful here and would make a nice accent.

JJH Jimmy 07-07-2021 01:24 PM

This is the exact same style barn i am hoping to build someday. I have a antique spiral stair case i was going to use for the loft and then add 2 - 4' french doors for the loft on the back of the barn for hoisting large objects into the loft.

mr48chev 07-07-2021 08:17 PM

I'd think that would be a great garage to put your pickup, rv and cars in but may not be the best design to use as a working shop where you intend to do a lot of work on vehicles.

biketopia 07-08-2021 08:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DeadheadNM (Post 8940800)
I completely agree the stairs eat up a bunch of space. I've wonder if a partially folding/mobile segment could be incorporated that would swing the lower stairs away for more clearance. Outside stairs would be nice especially with a porch that could shelter some additional storage for say kayaks or canoes. Depending on where this goes that might be the route I take.

The center bay ceiling would be largely open to let light inside. The mezzanine could potentially be extended forward more. I'd love to have plumbing but not sure that's in the cards given whet I imagine to be the hassle of connecting to the septic tank and plumbing a supply line from the house. I should probably plan for drains in the floor though.

Any suggestions on finishing the inside walls? Sheetrock would be the default but are there other options? Old barnwood is plentiful here and would make a nice accent.

I would 100% have some floor drains in there, at least at the garage doors. How far from your house will this be and how "in the sticks" are you? Could always put some conduit in before the slab is poured for "future additions" and run a water line after final inspections. This is what my buddy did. His garage was only 20-25 yards from the corner of the house so his builder put in a piece of conduit to run flexible water line in and PVC in the corner for a bathroom. He capped it and had it just below finished floor level wrapped in Styrofoam to easily break up. During inspections there was always material and tools in that corner anyways. Him and I trenched across the driveway one Sunday afternoon and laid PVC and conduit and into the crawl space where he made all his septic and water hook ups.

Having water out there would be nice if you plan to work on stuff, just for a slop sink and a hose if nothing else. My pull in barn has water and it's easily a 150-175 yards or more from the well tank in the house and I have plenty of flow to run the garden hose. You could also easily do a small homemade septic system for a single toilet, even just a 55 gallon barrel and some gravel would be enough in most cases. But that also depends on if your neighbors or the county is going to come snooping around. The outside storage and a nice deck would also be a plus, I always like a good deck, a hangout space etc.

As far as finish for the walls, you could do metal cladding drywall. Barn wood would be sweet, but you'll need A LOT, and a good way to attach it as it'll probably be a little on the thicker side, would make a really cool accent wall in the shop though. Definitely do some sort of insulation, even if you're not going to run true HVAC, it will make it more manageable to regulate with fans and a wood stove if needed.

Dieselwrencher 07-08-2021 10:26 AM

Very nice barn! How about you poke the stairs out of the back wall and enclose them? Then put the air compressor under them. Quieter and out of the way.

DeadheadNM 07-09-2021 10:13 AM

Thanks for the continued comments and suggestions. I'm taking them under consideration and hoping to have a final draft that can be farmed out for quotes here very soon. I'm told that lumber prices may be starting to fall. Would really like to have something up ahead of the coming snow.

Dieselwrencher 07-14-2021 07:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DeadheadNM (Post 8941580)
Thanks for the continued comments and suggestions. I'm taking them under consideration and hoping to have a final draft that can be farmed out for quotes here very soon. I'm told that lumber prices may be starting to fall. Would really like to have something up ahead of the coming snow.

I hope you're right! I have been collecting pieces and working on putting one of these up at my parent's place for storage of a couple projects, tractors, and parts. It would be fairly simple with less cost in trusses if you don't go crazy was my initial thought. Now it doesn't matter. I was going to use mostly used wood I have collected but we used a lot of that last fall to fix stuff on dad's place after the derecho. I used to find buildings people wanted torn down and you could have the materials if you did the work. These days they want you to buy the old broken down building and tear it down. Might as well save time and buy new. Thanks vintage barn wood/metal hoarders. :lol:

Ziegelsteinfaust 07-14-2021 07:28 PM

Out of curiosity why is the middle door taller then the outer 2?

DeadheadNM 07-15-2021 05:28 PM

Ryan I can't throw a rock around here without hitting an antique barn. A neighbor said I better take more photos of my truck in front of his because it's about to collapse.

Ziegel - the larger center bay would hold an RV or accommodate a lift

I farmed out the plans for estimates.

Dead Parrot 07-18-2021 08:48 PM

I would include the drains and conduits for a sink and bathroom even if you don't plan on initially including one. Simple and cheap to include before the slab is poured. Expensive and PITA to add after the pour.

While running the electrical, include conduits for Cat 5/6 cable for Internet plus an dedicated 120V outlet for a computer/switch. Again, easy to add during construction, hard later. If you go with metal siding and roof, you may create a no cell phone space inside. Might plan on where to put security cameras in case those become needed at some point and run conduit to those places.

Might include several outside outlets for battery chargers and block heaters for vehicles stored outside.

biketopia 07-19-2021 07:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dead Parrot (Post 8946912)
I would include the drains and conduits for a sink and bathroom even if you don't plan on initially including one. Simple and cheap to include before the slab is poured. Expensive and PITA to add after the pour.

While running the electrical, include conduits for Cat 5/6 cable for Internet plus an dedicated 120V outlet for a computer/switch. Again, easy to add during construction, hard later. If you go with metal siding and roof, you may create a no cell phone space inside. Might plan on where to put security cameras in case those become needed at some point and run conduit to those places.

Might include several outside outlets for battery chargers and block heaters for vehicles stored outside.

All very good points!

DeadheadNM 07-19-2021 07:55 AM

I’ll definitely keep those ideas in mind, thanks. A wall safe would be useful too.

The Rocknrod 07-19-2021 09:21 AM

From experience the bathroom and sink idea above is a great one.

DeadheadNM 07-19-2021 03:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by The Rocknrod (Post 8947060)
From experience the bathroom and sink idea above is a great one.

Absolutely and I appreciate all the suggestions. As an aside, I've always wanted an old-school urinal - the style that goes all the way to the floor. I'd settle for one toilet though. Ultimately, cost of the "cake" will dictate what icing can be applied.

DeadheadNM 07-19-2021 04:40 PM

Anyone have experience with exhaust outlets that might allow me to run a car in the garage during the winter if need to test/repair issues like hot water valve for the AC?

biketopia 07-20-2021 07:49 AM

They make a flapper/cover you put over a hole in your garage door and run an exhaust hose out of it. It's the simplest and cheapest way. You can get expensive and fancy with full on exhaust fan system like we have at work... but it's noisy and annoying, we crack a door and run a hose out the door. Have a CO monitor close by to ensure you're not making problems for your self.

Dead Parrot 07-20-2021 11:06 AM

Get 2 different brand CO detectors. Just read an article about Amazon having to recall a bunch of detectors due the the Feds finding the detectors failed to sound an alarm at the trigger point. If the winds there are anything like the winds here, you have a 80% chance of your exhaust vent being on the upwind side any time you are in the shop.

Have seen enough "families die due to CO poisoning from generator" stories to figure out that CO is sneaky and always looking for a way to get inside where you are.

DeadheadNM 05-22-2022 10:18 AM

3 Attachment(s)
Finally broke ground this week. Need to settle on the colors soon. Thinking typical red for the walls and “galvalume” on the roof, which will patina over time.

I’ve since added an additional entry door adjacent to the small side roll up door and may extend the roof ridge out slightly over the gable similar to this pole barn example and which seems common on local antique barns.

Rickysnickers 05-23-2022 10:14 AM

Wow, that's going to be really nice.