The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/index.php)
-   Electrical (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/forumdisplay.php?f=64)
-   -   Dash brake light stays on? (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/showthread.php?t=464253)

Mikec10 05-13-2011 02:20 PM

Dash brake light stays on?

So.. this morning i had a little accident with my garage door.. Truck was left in gear, forgot about it, turned key, truck fired up and smashed into the garage door DOH, no damage to the truck, big dent in the garage door lol, dads gonna kill me. Anyway after this happened, my brake light stays on, the one on the dash under the fuel gauge. Truck is a 1980, not sure why that parking brake light would stay on considering my parking brake pedal is seized and doesn't work (hence why the truck stays in gear) any ideas as to why it stays on?

more info:
Manual brakes
No abs
disk front drums back
brakes dont feel any different

THE "10" SILVERADO 05-13-2011 10:36 PM

Re: Dash brake light stays on?

I'd actually like to know to....my brake light stays on all the time too........I checked everything....to pass inspection I just had to unplug the light socket....

cdowns 05-14-2011 08:06 AM

i doubt that light is for a parking brake but for brake failure warning// have you checked your brake fluid? i'd look for the pin on the propertioning valve and try to reset it

Mikec10 05-14-2011 01:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cdowns (Post 4679217)
i doubt that light is for a parking brake but for brake failure warning// have you checked your brake fluid? i'd look for the pin on the propertioning valve and try to reset it

i have a full resiover of fluid, i dont really know much about brakes, where is the proportioning valve?

cdowns 05-14-2011 02:43 PM

coming from the master cyl there are 2short brake lines the go to the proportioning valve, a sort of rectangular shaped thing// there will b one wire conncted to a switch that senses the brake system failure mode// there is also a pin normally toward the front of the valve,it is sometimes covered up by a rubber bubble thingy//you take a clamp lenthwise and try to push the pin into the centering position to turn the light out

Mikec10 05-14-2011 03:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cdowns (Post 4679666)
coming from the master cyl there are 2short brake lines the go to the proportioning valve, a sort of rectangular shaped thing// there will b one wire conncted to a switch that senses the brake system failure mode// there is also a pin normally toward the front of the valve,it is sometimes covered up by a rubber bubble thingy//you take a clamp lenthwise and try to push the pin into the centering position to turn the light out

Okay yeah i found the valve and i did find something coverd by a rubber bubble.
can i take the rubber bubble off? or should i just try to push it in

379redneck 05-15-2011 06:18 PM

Mine did the same thing the other day after I slammed on the brakes. The light wouldnt go off and then I was driving behind somebody who slammed their brakes, and when I slammed mine is when the light went out.

I didnt know the light was for the entire brake system, I thought it was just the parking brake. Good thing to know.

Mikec10 05-15-2011 07:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 379redneck (Post 4681740)
Mine did the same thing the other day after I slammed on the brakes. The light wouldnt go off and then I was driving behind somebody who slammed their brakes, and when I slammed mine is when the light went out.

I didnt know the light was for the entire brake system, I thought it was just the parking brake. Good thing to know.

Thats exactly why mine turned on i think, i slammed on my brakes to stop from smashing into my garage lol.

379redneck 05-19-2011 05:13 PM

Try pushing the brake pedal hard when you are not moving. I would also go over the entire system to make sure nothing is bad. Mine has come on two more times and it shuts off when I press the brakes hard, but my brakes have also become progessively more spungy since I bought my truck so there might actualy be a problem making the light come on.

fishingjred73 05-19-2011 10:44 PM

cdowns hit the nail on the head!