The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/index.php)
-   General Discussion (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/forumdisplay.php?f=15)
-   -   I never knew! (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/showthread.php?t=819014)

Andy4639 03-01-2021 10:56 PM

I never knew!

1 Attachment(s)
I took off yesterday from the beach to go pick up a golf cart to wire up for a member here on the forum. Jeff Goddard in Mooresville NC. I picked it up then head on up the road a ways to see dad in Conover NC.
I hadn't seen dad in 2 months and he looks good for a 96 year old young man. He still lives by himself and he can get around some. Not much but he does get up and walk some if you make him. He even walked outside to look at the golf cart I had.

Well last night we got to talking and hollering at each other because he is like I and can't hear a thing, and then my hearing aids started going dead so we had to holler back and forth to each other all night. :lol: So anyways we start looking at some old pictures that he had found a few days ago and I found a interesting one of mom & him and another man standing in front of a sign saying:
Best of the Best in 1980. I had never seen this picture before so I asked him about it.
Many of you know my dad retired from GM Chevorlet division. But what I didn't know was the time frame and how it went along with me. I never thought about it I guess until last night.
Dad retired in June of 1980. I had just started working full time at Duke Power in 1979. So dad was free from any of the 7 kids to put through school anymore. He and mom could do what they wanted.

The picture was in March of 1980 he said, he won the Nation Chevorlet service manger of the year award for outstanding service. This award was given to him in Marco Island Florida. This was why he & mom lived in Naples right before you crossed the bridge into Marco Island for several years. When they went down that March for the award they took his final 6 weeks vaction and stayed checking out the area. They ended up living there for about 6 years after he retired.
:chevy:

1968k20 03-01-2021 11:13 PM

Re: I never knew!

Nice story!

Ol Blue K20 03-02-2021 05:55 AM

Nice! It's nice to learn about his history. Learn all you can while you can.

The Rocknrod 03-02-2021 08:43 AM

Pretty cool.

Andy4639 03-02-2021 09:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ol Blue K20 (Post 8887462)
Nice! It's nice to learn about his history. Learn all you can while you can.

My dad and I have had some great talks. His mind is great. He can remember things that happened back in the 30's in Mississippi where he grew up. Last trip I took him to Yazoo Miss where he grew up. He had been talking to a local resident about the city history she had posted and they got together one afternoon and he talked for over 3 hrs telling her what Yazoo was like as a little boy in the 30's. She has published some of it in her book on the town and to this day she contacts him to hear more. She couldn't get over him being 94 @ the time and could talk about it like it was yesterday. :chevy:

weasel29gm 03-02-2021 11:41 AM

Great story and pic

LT7A 03-03-2021 04:42 AM

Cool heritage, and here's to your dad!

GOPAPA 03-03-2021 02:12 PM

Great memory to have of your folks and the award your dad got .. a lot different back in them years with Chevrolet /Ford /Plymouth dealerships ..I am sure your dad did well due to him being more of a people person than like some of the sales people we meet when buying a new car now .... .. heck,, here where I live not far from Boise ..one company owns all three dealerships of all these makes .. I may have your dads type of work he done wrong ,but it goes for all the work details of the car sales.

61_FL_Apache 03-03-2021 03:19 PM

Good stuff! Thanks for sharing.