The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/index.php)
-   General Discussion (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/forumdisplay.php?f=15)
-   -   Well I did it now (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/showthread.php?t=829599)

FleetsidePaul 01-09-2022 10:53 AM

Well I did it now

I bought a little vacation house. But.... It has something that I would usually never go near.... It has a HOA. :eek:

Well it didn't take long, but I'm already in a fight with them and I haven't even moved in yet. :dohh:

It has a little garden shed in the backyard and they told me that I had to remove it. That it was old and didn't meet standards.

Eh....No... It's a shed... It's in the backyard... No one can even see it unless you're in the backyard or stick your snoopy nose over the fence. And it's been there for years. And I want it.

What is wrong with these people? I understand standards but this is just ridiculous. Is their life so dull that they have nothing better to do than worry about a little shed in my backyard.

So. It's on. I'm not removing it. Bring it on. If they push me I'll just park my hearse in the front yard and use it as a storage shed. And see how they like that. :)

best view 01-09-2022 11:05 AM

Re: Well I did it now

Never never and I mean never buy a house with a hoa u will be gone in a year

Boog 01-09-2022 11:06 AM

Oh man. Not the hearse. You bring out the big guns.
You are a worthy adversary. :lol:
Givem hell!

CG 01-09-2022 11:07 AM

I understand the idea of having HOA but it seems with every HOA story I hear its the power that is given to people that goes to their heads. Turns every one into Gladys Cravits.

Ive never lived in an HOA community and doubt I ever will.

67 twins 01-09-2022 12:16 PM

This kind of stuff is exactly why I will never buy where there is an HOA. Like you don't already have enough authority telling you what you can & can't do, Federal, State, County & City regulations. Then on top of that you are going to give another level of government (& that is effectivly what it is) power over you? No thanks, not for me. Mrs Grundy can go **** herself.

special-K 01-09-2022 12:41 PM

Hey Paul, I will guarantee this shed was an existing non-compliance complaint running with the previous owner. You bought his troubles. It could be taken up with your realtor as vital undisclosed information. If you want to back out, I bet you have your way right there.

Quote:

Originally Posted by 67 twins (Post 9016833)
This kind of stuff is exactly why I will never buy where there is an HOA. Like you don't already have enough authority telling you what you can & can't do, Federal, State, County & City regulations. Then on top of that you are going to give another level of government (& that is effectivly what it is) power over you? No thanks, not for me. Mrs Grundy can go **** herself.

Yep, and all that is official authority. This is not another level of government what so ever. This HOA bullcrap is self-made authority. The only thing they have to support this authority is, "You signed the agreement". Otherwise, they ain't nothin' to no one else except people of a mentality contrary to the principals this country was founded on.

Ziegelsteinfaust 01-09-2022 01:31 PM

I had a 72 Buick Electra nearly 20 years ago. The town house association hated it even though it was nothing crazy, and far far from the worse vehicle in there.

It was lowered, flat black, silver/stainless steel painted roof, roulette wheel hub caps, and illeagal leopard print seat covers over fresh black interior. With a stock engine, and quiet exhaust. So no one heard when I was leaving. That kind of quiet.

Unlike now. Where my dead relatives know I am leaving.

I miss that car. It was so comfy, and would suck up highway miles like nothing else.

mongocanfly 01-09-2022 03:14 PM

Haha...put a skeleton in the drivers seat of the hearse..
I cant stand people that "think" they can swing a big stick....that's why I live on the outside

RustyPile 01-09-2022 05:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by FleetsidePaul (Post 9013564)
Well it sounds like I just screwed myself..... Nothing new. If there's a pile of sheit I'll find a way to step in it. :mad:

Quote:

Originally Posted by FleetsidePaul (Post 9016763)
I bought a little vacation house. But.... It has something that I would usually never go near.... It has a HOA. :eek:

Well it didn't take long, but I'm already in a fight with them and I haven't even moved in yet. :dohh:

I can't add a thing.. You've said it all yourself...

truckster 01-09-2022 05:45 PM

Unfortunately, if you signed the typical covenants, you gave them almost unlimited authority to fine you. It's hard to win against an HOA. I hope you have a good attorney.

Good luck. I hope you do win.

57taskforce 01-09-2022 10:28 PM

Good luck Paul, I’m not what you call HOA material. If I can’t pee in the yard when my wife and kids have the bathrooms occupied it’s not a place I’ll ever call home. Let alone all the trucks and such I’ve got around. I’m an HOA’s worst nightmare of a homeowner:lol: I like no real close neighbors. My house is off a semi major highway between the reservation and Farmington NM. I have one neighbor about 1/4 mile away on one side and about 1/2 mile on the other. I’m down in a holler of sorts surrounded by farm land and pasture. You can’t see any neighbor houses or the highway. I like it that way.
I hope you kick their sorry asses. I love seeing bullies like them fall.

67ChevyRedneck 01-09-2022 10:52 PM

Is this home in CA as well? It's hard to fight crazy.

mongocanfly 01-09-2022 11:36 PM

What Jesse said...
crazy is kinda like stupid...
they'll bring you down to their level and beat you with experience

davischevy 01-09-2022 11:52 PM

Fly an American flag in the front yard.

'63GENIII 01-10-2022 12:10 AM

Double down. Add a second story to the shed.

I don't think there are any HOA board members here so I can be pretty sure they have no idea who they're dealing with :lol:.

FleetsidePaul 01-10-2022 04:47 AM

I would normally NEVER go near a HOA. But this is my 3rd home and I really won't be there much. I had a place in the Angeles National Forest before with a lot of rules and got a hard time at first But they mellowed out as time went by. Even after my dog bit the guy "In charge' right in the family jewels. :lol: I guess my dog felt about the same about the rules as I do.

The thing is with both places is that they are in resort areas. They have residents and campers. My place is technically in a campground It's by itself. Not near anything, but it still falls under their rules. They have a lot of rules so drunken campers don't cause problems. I get that. I've seen it before at the other place. I realize that they have to keep a lid on things. But they are complaining about a shed that's been there for 40+ years. Not a loud party.

Hopefully things will cool down. I'm not bringing my guitars or drums. I'll be quiet. Keep the place nice.

But I want my shed. Otherwise where can I hide illegal aliens or cook up some meth?

Ol Blue K20 01-10-2022 09:12 AM

Throw them in the beautiful Kern River, that will cool them off...

Rich84 01-10-2022 10:30 AM

This is gonna get interesting.

mongocanfly 01-10-2022 10:33 AM

Dale, theyd just fine him for polluting the river..haha

kwmech 01-10-2022 11:15 AM

I think they're just flexing showing letting you know who 'the boss' is over your property. Typical bull.... to welcome you to the neighborhood

67C10Step 01-10-2022 03:40 PM

3rd home? Subtle brag. With them pockets that go to your ankles you got choices, 1) pay an attorney and fight, 2) tear it down and go through the expense and process to build something new, or 3) ignore them and see where it goes.

My wife and I walked away from a house we really liked on a lake years ago due to HOA and covenants. To give you an idea how long ago, I asked the real estate person to fax over the covenants and when it got over 12 pages I knew without even reading it wasn't gonna be somewhere I wanted to live.

67ChevyRedneck 01-10-2022 05:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 67C10Step (Post 9017318)
3rd home? Subtle brag. With them pockets that go to your ankles you got choices, 1) pay an attorney and fight, 2) tear it down and go through the expense and process to build something new, or 3) ignore them and see where it goes.

:lol:

Not that big of a deal. I have 3 homes too.

#1 House I share with my wife.
#2 My shop.
#3 The dog house for when I spend too much time in house #2

Dead Parrot 01-10-2022 08:00 PM

Submit a request in writing for a copy of the current shed standards. Also ask for a copy of the standards that were in place when the shed was built. Possible that there were no standards when it was built and it is therefore grandfathered in. The current HOA leaders may be hoping to bluff you into removing something that is legal because you don't know any better.

special-K 01-10-2022 08:35 PM

I like Other Larry's idea, Hang an American flag in the front yard, high and proud

I'd make them own up to why they allowed this shed to stand for 40 years and no sooner do you buy this property they are on you? That shed is an amenity that you valued the price of the property on. I bet that shed and their grief is a big reason why the previous owner sold.

Read the covenant word for word and tell them you'll do any annoying thing they left out. Play their own game against them

dieseldawg142 01-10-2022 08:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by special-K (Post 9017391)
Read the covenant word for word and tell them you'll do any annoying thing they left out. Play their own game against them

X2
hang flags and blankets in the windows for curtains...park a couple Harley's in the driveway