The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/index.php)
-   The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   Restoring Rusty (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/showthread.php?t=645440)

79sierra 06-09-2016 08:05 AM

Re: Restoring Rusty

That's about right for a stock pump, usually just under 6 psi. Performance pumps can be 7-9 psi.

Gregski 06-09-2016 09:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Woodyboat (Post 7619613)
Yeah, it's kinda difficult to see it from the driver's seat. Is that what you're saying here? LOL

No, I mean the needle moves spastically back and forth so you can't tell what number it is on.

here I made a video of it, please take a looksee

Mr. Gasket Inline Fuel Pressure Gauge in Action Video

SkinnyG 06-09-2016 10:57 AM

It's ~averaging~ 6psi.

enaberif 06-09-2016 07:58 PM

I thought on edelbrock carbs they were happier around the 4-5 psi marking or they could flood themselves?

Valarius_Starchaser 06-10-2016 12:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by enaberif (Post 7620192)
I thought on edelbrock carbs they were happier around the 4-5 psi marking or they could flood themselves?

this is true to my knowledge but he has a holley I don't know what they like though any input anyone?

Gregski 06-10-2016 01:30 AM

4 Attachment(s)
so just to remind everyone I am still trying to track down / eliminate that mystery engine ticking sound, and trying Marvely Mystery Oil additive (did not fix a thing) so I ordered a brand new GM Chevrolet Performance fuel pump as some suggested it may be my old fuel pump making that sound

Part Number: 12355612

Gregski 06-10-2016 01:36 AM

4 Attachment(s)
this is my cheapie generic no name brand old one

not sure this looks like normal wear on the shaft lever thingie, we shall see

Gregski 06-10-2016 01:40 AM

4 Attachment(s)
the new fuel pump is very well made (in the USA), here I have it installed for a trial fit

as you can see with the outlet at 9 PM it goes right into the motor mount, the inlet at 3 PM is fine, but they move together, so looks like will have to re clock it (this is very similar to re clocking and alternator) it just means moving the connectors around

it also sits way too close to the passenger side motor mount, I think it touches

Gregski 06-10-2016 01:44 AM

3 Attachment(s)
re clocking this fuel pump is pretty easy, you just have to undo the 10 screws and rotate the base over which ever way you need it, I am going to try an Inlet at 7 PM and Outlet at 1 PM, type a setup, since the inlet and outlet pivot together your choices are somewhat limited, for instance 6 pm works for the Inlet but that puts the Outlet at noon and straight into the base of the block, not gonna work

Gregski 06-10-2016 01:49 AM

1 Attachment(s)
and here's a mandatory side by side comparison

old fuel pump vs new fuel pump, notice how the cheap one on the left (1/5th the cost) comes with both an inlet connector, where as the more expensive one does not, LOL

Gregski 06-10-2016 01:53 AM

5 Attachment(s)
so I had to go out and buy a bunch of different fittings, one of these ought to work

I am running 3/8th from the fuel tank to the fuel pump and 5/16 from the fuel pump to the carb

you really wanna check these fittings in the store as some folks put the wrong ones in the boxes (ask me how I know, lol) very frustrating late at night as you're trying to slip that hard 5/16 fuel injection line over the 3/8th barb that should have been 5/16th, ha ha

Gregski 06-10-2016 01:59 AM

2 Attachment(s)
so lets try this setup, a 90* elbow in and a straight shooter out

Gregski 06-10-2016 02:04 AM

2 Attachment(s)
man this just aint gonna work CLEARANCE, CLEARANCE, CLEARANCE problems

even after I shoved a philips screw driver in the 90* inlet to bend it some more it still hits the motor mount support bracket

and underneath the motor mount hits/rubs against the fuel pump

man I really don't want to start grinding on this beautiful brand new fuel pump to get it to fit, it's just too big, the diameter or circumfrence however you look at it

wonderin' if anyone on this forum is actually runnin' this GM fuel pump on their trucks?

Gregski 06-10-2016 02:28 AM

1 Attachment(s)
picked up this handy fuel delivery system at the Dollar store, part number K&M 1, (get it, Katchup & Mustard 1) I crack myself up

I use the red one for gasoline it works great when you need to fill up the carburetor bowls through the vent tubes, top tip (the yellow one is for mustard, duh, JK)

hatzie 06-10-2016 05:35 AM

One of the annoying things about the GM performance rebuildable mechanical pumps is the inlet and outlet are 180° apart and it's difficult to get them clocked so they don't interfere with something.
GM 12355613, the one you have, is 9PSI at 115GPH with 1/2NPT fittings.
GM 6415325 is 7PSI 30GPH with a slightly smaller diameter body with 1/4NPT fittings.

Holley makes a rebuildable mechanical smallblock fuel pump that allows you to clock the in and out fittings independently from eachother for about the same price point as the 12355613 GM Performance pump.
Holley 12-327-11 is 6.5-8PSI and 110GPH with 3/8NPT fittings

Gregski 06-10-2016 09:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hatzie (Post 7620557)
One of the annoying things about the GM performance rebuildable mechanical pumps is the inlet and outlet are 180° apart and it's difficult to get them clocked so they don't interfere with something.
GM 12355613, the one you have, is 9PSI at 115GPH with 1/2NPT fittings.
GM 6415325 is 7PSI 30GPH with a slightly smaller diameter body with 1/4NPT fittings.

Holley makes a rebuildable mechanical smallblock fuel pump that allows you to clock the in and out fittings independently from eachother for about the same price point as the 12355613 GM Performance pump.
Holley 12-327-11 is 6.5-8PSI and 110GPH with 3/8NPT fittings

Hatzie, what the hewk would I do without you, the house next to me is going up for rent, I'll PM you the address, LOL together we would be Damage Inc, ha ha

79sierra 06-10-2016 09:24 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by Gregski (Post 7620525)
man this just aint gonna work CLEARANCE, CLEARANCE, CLEARANCE problems

even after I shoved a philips screw driver in the 90* inlet to bend it some more it still hits the motor mount support bracket

and underneath the motor mount hits/rubs against the fuel pump

man I really don't want to start grinding on this beautiful brand new fuel pump to get it to fit, it's just too big, the diameter or circumfrence however you look at it

wonderin' if anyone on this forum is actually runnin' this GM fuel pump on their trucks?

I had bought an Edelbrock pump which looks like yours and did not use it, I just couldn't get it fit right.

Jake Wade 06-10-2016 05:45 PM

A regular ole AC Delco 40987 is all that's needed for your application.

https://www.summitracing.com/parts/ado-40987

Gregski 06-10-2016 11:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jake Wade (Post 7621112)
A regular ole AC Delco 40987 is all that's needed for your application.

https://www.summitracing.com/parts/ado-40987

Jake, having gone through this exercise I could not agree more, and would have put that one on if any of the local parts houses had one in stock, but they don't.

Gregski 06-11-2016 12:02 AM

4 Attachment(s)
so Mr. Money Bagz over here decided to drop $85 bucks on yet another "Performance" fuel pump (and I use that term loosely, as any company that has to tell you their part is a "Performance" part three times on the front of the box alone, is most likely not selling you an [ahem] Performance part

so here is the Holley part number 12-834 fuel pump Made in Korea (well, than it's gotta be good right?!) ha ha - didn't notice that in the store when I bought it, I was blinded by the shinnyness of this darn thing

I believe the line on the back of the box should read:
"Look Out for These Other Holley Performance Products" man I am on a roll today

Valarius_Starchaser 06-11-2016 12:04 AM

once when torquing a holley fuel pump on (last fall) the housing cracked..... complete garbage that thing was hope you have better luck

Gregski 06-11-2016 12:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Valarius_Starchaser (Post 7621430)
once when torquing a holley fuel pump on (last fall) the housing cracked..... complete garbage that thing was hope you have better luck

OMG - Sooooo True it feels like something I picked up at the Dollar store, feels so cheap bro, I am so glad someone else said it

Gregski 06-11-2016 12:09 AM

2 Attachment(s)
Fuel Pumps ~ collect them all!!!

or as I like to call 'em: Moe, Larry, and Curly

... am I dating myself here people?

Valarius_Starchaser 06-11-2016 12:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gregski (Post 7621434)
... am I dating myself here people?

No Greg your not........... your married to yourself with a nice roommate :lol:

Gregski 06-11-2016 12:16 AM

1 Attachment(s)
and once again the [ahem] Performance part does not come with any inlet or outlet fittings, and naturally the Holley uses a different size (1/4 inch pipe thread rather than the 3/8ths like the GM one did)

not the inlet and outlet ports are not 180* opposite each other
like on the GM fuel pump, which is an application limiting feature, in other words an Epic Fail, I'm looking at you GM

not sure if there is any Top Gear fans here (yes the UK version not the American rubish) well anyway one time they were talking about a Porsche not sure which model, (or a Volkswagen as Jeremy puts it, ha ha) and they said the base model with run you $60K and comes with AC (or climate control as they call it), Blue Tooth, and a radio, where as the "Sports" model, aka the performance one costs $80 (so $20K more) and has no AC, no Blue Tooth, and no radio... ha ha, so you pay more to get less, loved that episode!!!