The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/index.php)
-   Engine & Drivetrain (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/forumdisplay.php?f=24)
-   -   Engine making clicking noise. What could it be? (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/showthread.php?t=419564)

longbedted12 09-02-2010 03:11 PM

Engine making clicking noise. What could it be?

Hello, my name is christian and i am a new member to 67-72 website. i just recently purchased a 1970 c-10 lwb and i have had alot of problems with it to say the least. I havent started any body work or anything because i was hoping to get the truck in good running order before i go further.

Just recently my engine has been making this really annoying clicking noise. It does it whenever the engine is on and speeds up whenever i accelerate. I have been wondering if it is the fan belt but im not sure. i have the original 307 engine in the truck so i assume it could be a number of things.

Any info would help!

Thanks, Christian:chevy:

GASoline71 09-02-2010 03:19 PM

Re: Engine making clicking noise. What could it be?

Tick/click, Clack, Knock?

Tick/click = exhaust leak or lifter starved for oil

Clack = loose rocker arm.

Knock = nothing good...

Gary

longbedted12 09-02-2010 03:28 PM

If i would have to guess it would be a ticking noise. So would a simple addition of some oil fix the noise or is there something else?

My pan does leak about a two to three drops of oil a night so i might be low.

BlackTopMotors 09-02-2010 03:38 PM

I agree if it's more of a ticking sound especially if it's an old motor, try fresh oil...higher viscosity may help as well and or oil additive. That would be a good start and fresh oil...aint a bad thing... Hope that's about it...check to make sure you don't have any exhaust leaks...might as well eliminate simple possibilities. Hope you get it resolved soon.

raycow 09-02-2010 04:10 PM

While you are in there, it couldn't hurt if you take off the belt for a test - just in case.

Ray

cdowns 09-02-2010 04:16 PM

i'd check the torque converter dust shield to see if the flexplate teeth are hitting it// also the fan shroud gets hit by the fan with sagging engine mounts or poorly iattached shroud

Psycho71 09-02-2010 06:06 PM

If it's got headers on it I'd be looking real good at the gaskets at the heads, and second (least likely for what you're describing) the collectors. A leaking header gasket at the head can easily sound like a lifter ticking. And an oil change could never hurt anything either.

CEE1NG_RED 01-11-2011 02:41 AM

I have the same issue...seems like it's coming from the driverside. More towards the bottom, where the engine and tranny are located. I'm a novice at this, but the sound is near where the flywheel is at (the rotating mechanism that's under the truck where the engine and tranny meet).????

cdowns 01-11-2011 06:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CEE1NG_RED (Post 4401691)
I have the same issue...seems like it's coming from the driverside. More towards the bottom, where the engine and tranny are located. I'm a novice at this, but the sound is near where the flywheel is at (the rotating mechanism that's under the truck where the engine and tranny meet).????

plastic dust shield getting hit by teeth of flywheel

mudmizer 01-14-2011 01:12 AM

If the truck is an automatic, somtimes a crack in the flexplate, near the crank shaft bolts will make a clicking noise. Not very likley your problem but it does happen once in a great while.

60ratrod 01-14-2011 01:32 AM

1 Attachment(s)
when the flexplate on my 72 went it made a completely distinctive noise sounded more like a rod/main was going out. but if its coming from the trans area i would look to see if it has headers and look to see if the collector gaskets aren't shot. this is what my flexplate looked like when the trans shop pulled it off. had them replace it when the trans went. and this is pretty close to what mudmizer was describing. and i still got the flexplate since when it went it looked like mickey mouse:lol:

CEE1NG_RED 01-17-2011 03:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 60ratrod (Post 4410090)
when the flexplate on my 72 went it made a completely distinctive noise sounded more like a rod/main was going out. but if its coming from the trans area i would look to see if it has headers and look to see if the collector gaskets aren't shot. this is what my flexplate looked like when the trans shop pulled it off. had them replace it when the trans went. and this is pretty close to what mudmizer was describing. and i still got the flexplate since when it went it looked like mickey mouse:lol:

What was the cost to change this??

60ratrod 01-17-2011 03:52 AM

Well the whole job cost me $1276. That included the tow, carrier bearing, tranny overhaul. I had a new flex plate in the cab so they just used that one
Posted via Mobile Device