The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/index.php)
-   The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   Cab Swap - 72 Super Cab -> Non-Super cab. What do I need to consider? (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/showthread.php?t=372419)

cedorris 11-17-2009 06:17 PM

Cab Swap - 72 Super Cab -> Non-Super cab. What do I need to consider?

I'm in the process of swapping cabs on my 72 Super to a non-Super, factory AC cab.

I want to retain all the original trim and options that came with the Super in 72. What do I need to consider in this swap? Some things I've already considered are as follows:

Chrome ring under rear window
Chrome ring around headliner
Rear cargo lamp

What am I not considering here? I know someone has to have done something like this before, but the search isn't rendering any results. Thanks for the help!

Classic Heartbeat 11-17-2009 06:21 PM

Re: Cab Swap - 72 Super Cab -> Non-Super cab. What do I need to consider?

Glove Box Lid, Door panels or at least the woodgrain inserts, dash bezel and 4X4 shifter lever if it is a 4x4. WES

Classic Heartbeat 11-17-2009 06:22 PM

Also does your cab have bucket seats? If so there are some brackets that are mounted to the bottom side of the floor too. WES

cedorris 11-17-2009 06:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Classic Heartbeat (Post 3625307)
Glove Box Lid, Door panels or at least the woodgrain inserts, dash bezel and 4X4 shifter lever if it is a 4x4. WES

All of the interior pieces: Glove box door, doors, door panels, etc will be pulled from my existing cab and placed in the new one.

I'm working with a COMPLETELY bare cab.

Both trucks were factory bench seats. No 4X4.

71blksuper4x4 11-17-2009 07:15 PM

The main thing is the headliner. It is punched out for the headliner trim. It is very difficult to reproduce or atleast very time consuming. Depends on how anal you are about originality. Not 100% if they all have cargo lamps or not, but of all that I have seen had one. Other than the headliner and cargo lamp, there shouldn't be any other problems except if it was an a/c truck and the cab isn't, the firewalls are different. Trevor

cedorris 11-17-2009 09:45 PM

Both cabs are AC so we are good there!

What do you mean by the headliner being punched out? I'm not extremely anal about details, but I want it to look good. Can you go into a bit more detail as to what I should expect or maybe some How To Guides?

cedorris 11-18-2009 11:12 AM

I looked around the headliner area and think I know what you are talking about Trevor...

There are some long oval shaped holes cut around the edge of the recessed area for the headliner? Is that the support for the headliner?

68350 11-18-2009 02:55 PM

We added a headliner to our 68 gmc. It takes a while but if you mark your cuts and recheck everything before you cut, it shouldn't be bad. I would say maybe an hour or two after you have everything ready to cut. We used a die grinder, seemed to work about the best. Also, your super would have had the door jamb switches, so make sure the other cab has them if you want complete originallity. Cargo lights were included in the super package, I BELIEVE. Never seen a cargo light on a spid, but always see the cheyennes and supers with em. Don't forget chrome vent windows and windshield bright work to go along with your rear window.

cedorris 11-18-2009 03:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 68350 (Post 3626861)
We added a headliner to our 68 gmc. It takes a while but if you mark your cuts and recheck everything before you cut, it shouldn't be bad. I would say maybe an hour or two after you have everything ready to cut. We used a die grinder, seemed to work about the best. Also, your super would have had the door jamb switches, so make sure the other cab has them if you want complete originallity. Cargo lights were included in the super package, I BELIEVE. Never seen a cargo light on a spid, but always see the cheyennes and supers with em. Don't forget chrome vent windows and windshield bright work to go along with your rear window.

Great info!

My super does have a rear cargo light. By door jam switches do you mean for the dome light? My super does have that. I would assume it would just be a case of measuring and drilling the holes for those?

All of the vents and interior pieces will be transfered over or replaced so I'm good there.

72BlckButy 11-18-2009 03:55 PM

The VIN... :exit:

PowerPro 11-18-2009 03:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 72BlckButy (Post 3626956)
The VIN... :exit:

Ya, would definitely be nice to have the vin # match the frame...

cedorris 11-18-2009 04:04 PM

Is swapping the VIN plate illegal?

cedorris 11-18-2009 04:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cedorris (Post 3626968)
Is swapping the VIN plate illegal?

Never mind. After some research it appears that touching the VIN at all is off limits. Looks like I'm going to have a mismatched truck?

Which title goes with the truck if I have different numbers on the frame, engine, and cab? I don't plan I selling it ever, but I don't want to get in trouble with Johnny Law.

68350 11-18-2009 05:34 PM

Well as long as this stays hush hush, you should be able to find a set of rosebud rivets on here. Pop the vin off, switch it with yours, use the rosebud rivets and no one would ever know. Make sure to either put a vin on the cab your not using or cut it up, too.

Joesjunk 11-18-2009 07:38 PM

:agree:
Quote:

Originally Posted by 68350 (Post 3627085)
Well as long as this stays hush hush, you should be able to find a set of rosebud rivets on here. Pop the vin off, switch it with yours, use the rosebud rivets and no one would ever know. Make sure to either put a vin on the cab your not using or cut it up, too.

cedorris 11-19-2009 07:05 PM

Ok, so here is my check list for the AC Cheyenne cab swap:
Cargo Light
Headliner - takes time, but can be cut with a dremmel
Chrome ring around rear of cab - weld in new studs
Consider the VIN situation
Someone mentioned "door jam switches" - I'm not sure what this is.

Is there anything I'm leaving out? The cab is having the body work done as we speak and I want to get with my body man and have all this stuff lined out BEFORE we go to paint.

Thanks again folks!!

68350 11-19-2009 09:31 PM

The door jamb switches I mentioned are for the light in the cab. Don't have to have them, but are correct for a super.

Joesjunk 11-20-2009 12:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cedorris (Post 3628965)
Ok, so here is my check list for the AC Cheyenne cab swap:
Cargo Light
Headliner - takes time, but can be cut with a dremmel
Chrome ring around rear of cab - weld in new studs
Consider the VIN situation
Someone mentioned "door jam switches" - I'm not sure what this is.

Is there anything I'm leaving out? The cab is having the body work done as we speak and I want to get with my body man and have all this stuff lined out BEFORE we go to paint.

Thanks again folks!!

They make special screws to attach the clips for the paint divider trim on the back of the cab , so you dont have to try to weld studs on. Im sure most vendors on here have them. They dont cost very much.

cedorris 11-20-2009 01:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Joesjunk (Post 3630168)
They make special screws to attach the clips for the paint divider trim on the back of the cab , so you dont have to try to weld studs on. Im sure most vendors on here have them. They dont cost very much.

I saw a place here in OKC that carries them for about 15 cents each.

Do they work well? It would save me some labor hours to do screw in clips vs. having my body man weld in studs.

Joesjunk 11-20-2009 01:49 PM

My friend just used them and said they worked good

sameyrasmea72 11-20-2009 02:35 PM

Are you painting your truck back to a two tone? If not you don't need(and it would be incorrect to have)the trim on the back of the cab.

cedorris 11-20-2009 05:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sameyrasmea72 (Post 3630386)
Are you painting your truck back to a two tone? If not you don't need(and it would be incorrect to have)the trim on the back of the cab.

Yes. I'm going back to the original Dark Olive/White color scheme.

turp mcspray 11-20-2009 10:28 PM

The weld on studs do NOT work.

cedorris 11-23-2009 11:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by turp mcspray (Post 3631039)
The weld on studs do NOT work.

What about the screw in type shown here:
http://mar-k.com/catalog/catalog.asp...19721972CQ-150

too much stuff 11-23-2009 11:59 AM

Personally, i wouldn't worry about switching the vin tag the way you are doing it. As long as you have a reciept on the other cab. What would a body shop do? I assume the super is in your name...
As far as the studs for the paint divider trim, i hear the uni-spotter weld on studs work well. I am not to that point yet or i would let you know. Eric