The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/index.php)
-   General Discussion (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/forumdisplay.php?f=15)
-   -   Interstate Batteries (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/showthread.php?t=834668)

FleetsidePaul 05-20-2022 02:41 AM

Interstate Batteries

My motorhome was parked on the side of the house for 2 years. Untouched. I sold it and just for S & G's I tried to start it.

:eek: IT STARTED.!!!! Cranked right up. No battery charger or anything. Unbelievable. :confused: :uhmk:

That Interstate battery held its charge for 2 years. My jaw dropped when the motor fired up. I was like a deer in headlights. I couldn't believe it.

I was impressed.

I have no affiliation at all whatsoever with Interstate. I'm just a happy customer. :)

Getter-Done 05-20-2022 06:17 AM

Re: Interstate Batteries

That is just Amazing:metal::metal:

biketopia 05-20-2022 08:47 AM

Yet we go through them like underwear here at work. Although we might get broader temp swings here in VA.

mongocanfly 05-20-2022 08:51 AM

Amazing

special-K 05-20-2022 09:06 AM

Paul got lucky

Boog 05-20-2022 10:16 AM

As a rule, batteries don't last very long, but there are some that do. I've gotten 6 or 7 years out of a lawn mower battery but only once. My B I L recently told me he got 24 years out of his JD lawn mower battery. Highly unlikely I say, especially knowing how he doesn't take good care of his things. :lol:

Rich84 05-20-2022 01:49 PM

I got my last 2 Interstate batteries from Costco. The 2nd one was free because the first didn't last 3 years.

Steeveedee 05-20-2022 02:40 PM

Replaced the factory battery in my econobox yesterday. 6 years old, I think I got my money's worth.

richard2717 05-20-2022 04:53 PM

I had to check something under the hood of the 2008 Kia I gave my daughter 2 weeks ago and noticed it still has the original Kia battery in it. I bought the car new so i know it has not been replaced, I just thought it would have been done by her before now. Sad part is once it gets replaced the new one probably won't last 5 years.

I have always had good luck with interstate. If Costco is like Sams Club, most of that stuff is seconds compared to what you would get from the truck.

TALLone71 05-20-2022 05:00 PM

that's great paul!I have noticed through my work, that battery life span really seems to vary, 3 to 6 years seems to kinda be the norm in the shop I work at.i have noticed too that vehicles that are garaged or kept in a stable temperature seem to last longer. the one in my nova is ten years old, my 72 c10 is 9, both of them are garaged, my daily vehicles seem to last right around the 5 to 6 year range

truckster 05-20-2022 07:29 PM

I like Interstate batteries. The current ones in my motorhome have been there for 3 years. I use a battery maintainer, but this is the longest the coach batteries have ever lasted.

Getter-Done 05-20-2022 10:23 PM

I used Interstate in my stuff 30 something years ago.:lol:

It was good then.

FleetsidePaul 05-20-2022 11:30 PM

As much as I like the Interstate's I couldn't find one less than a hour away, so I bought a NAPA (made in USA). I bought the best one they had for my C/30. We'll see how that works. I was just too tired when I got home to fool with it. Old age sucks.

starterman99 05-21-2022 12:01 AM

I've been an Interstate Battery dealer for over 40 years in my shop. I see very few problems with the batteries. Most problems are related to connections or abuse in overcharging or undercharging and parastatic draws.

FleetsidePaul 05-21-2022 02:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by starterman99 (Post 9081788)
I've been an Interstate Battery dealer for over 40 years in my shop. I see very few problems with the batteries. Most problems are related to connections or abuse in overcharging or undercharging and parastatic draws.

Heck I wish you were closer. I'd have bought one from you. And of course got some of that great Santa Maria barbecue while I was at it. That's some yummy BBQ. :)

special-K 05-21-2022 08:18 AM

I've had my '95 Suburban since Dec '14 and it still has the Walmart battery that was in it when I bought it. The label is gone so can't say just how old it is. Going on 8 years for me.

I was always a Sears Diehard fan. At one time they had the warranty over the rest and for replacement there were Sears stores across the country. Now I buy them at Walmart for the same reasons of availability... as well as price. I've had nothing but good luck with those. I have no idea who make their batteries, they sure don't. There are but so many actual battery manufacturers. Must be a good one

LT7A 05-24-2022 05:31 PM

X2 on the Sears Diehard. Not long after getting my first car, I went down and got a Diehard. That car would sit sometimes for years at a time, wouldn't put it on a charger or even top up the water, just turn the key. Didn't disconnect it either. Still have the car, still have the battery - been sitting a long, long time now. But I'll bet that I can add distilled water, put it on a charger, and fire it off.

FleetsidePaul 05-25-2022 03:50 PM

Well the brand new NAPA was DOA. I hooked my jump starter to it and it fired up and now it seems to be alright. But I'm not thrilled with it. It's working but I won't buy another.

67C10Step 05-25-2022 05:03 PM

Longest lasting auto batter I ever had was a Panasonic that came as OEM in a 1995 Toyota Avalon. Seven years and 250,000 miles later it finally gave it up.
Made the mistake of swapping a five year old battery on my sons truck right before he left for college. Didn’t want an old battery to die on him. New battery didn’t last a month.

FleetsidePaul 05-25-2022 05:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 67C10Step (Post 9083482)
Longest lasting auto batter I ever had was a Panasonic that came as OEM in a 1995 Toyota Avalon. Seven years and 250,000 miles later it finally gave it up.
Made the mistake of swapping a five year old battery on my sons truck right before he left for college. Didn’t want an old battery to die on him. New battery didn’t last a month.

I guess they just don't make em like they used to.

Tom 05-25-2022 07:35 PM

All batteries are the same in my experience. We use interstate usually at my dealership because we get a good wholesale price on them.

Getter-Done 05-25-2022 11:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by FleetsidePaul (Post 9083493)
I guess they just don't make em like they used to.

There you go again Paul .;)

That sounds like the start of a country song.

This is country music song material .:lol:

Or The old Gray mare ain't what she used to Be.:ito:

FleetsidePaul 05-26-2022 02:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Getter-Done (Post 9083598)
There you go again Paul .;)

That sounds like the start of a country song.

This is country music song material .:lol:

Or The old Gray mare ain't what she used to Be.:ito:

I have actually written lyrics to some country songs.

But you couldn't really consider them country music. They fell under the musical category of "nobody gives a ch*t'. :(