The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/index.php)
-   The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   Core support rust - fixable??? (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/showthread.php?t=472026)

BossHogg69 06-28-2011 05:53 PM

Core support rust - fixable???

3 Attachment(s)
I did a quick search but couldn't find much in regard to fixing rust on a core support, namely the area under the battery, which is where my problem is. I don't want to buy an aftermarket one, because from what I've found and read here, they don't fit well. The pics below are what I'm dealing with. Other than the pics, everything else is solid, its just the area under the battery tray that has issues. Any ideas on fixing this? The threaded bolt holes are still there, but the flat area around them is pretty thin, and the lip around the edges is about gone. I have a welder handy and don't mind taking on this challenge, just wanted to check and see if anyone has done this type of repair before and how it turned out. Thanks in advance for any help and/or advice!

70cst 06-28-2011 06:06 PM

Re: Core support rust - fixable???

I wonder if a good used core support would be a better way to go....Just a thought and a bump...

john 06-28-2011 06:24 PM

Brothers has a patch for that area.
http://www.brotherstrucks.com/prodin...number=RSP72RH

70cst 06-28-2011 06:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by john (Post 4761060)
Brothers has a patch for that area.
http://www.brotherstrucks.com/prodin...number=RSP72RH

There you go ...

BossHogg69 06-28-2011 06:37 PM

Thanks john & 70cst, that's why this board is the best! I know what I'll be doing this weekend... :smoke:

eagleuh1 06-29-2011 08:46 AM

Its fixable.I did mine before the brothers patch showed up. Pretty easy fix. The patch makes it easier. Good luck. Jim
http://i894.photobucket.com/albums/a...m/IMG_0489.jpg
Sorry, couldn't find pic of it repaired.

eagleuh1 06-29-2011 08:48 AM

Closest I could find, Sorry.
http://i894.photobucket.com/albums/a...m/IMG_0704.jpg

BossHogg69 06-29-2011 10:31 AM

eagleuh1 - What did you end up using to patch yours up? Your engine bay looks pretty nice, just from what can see in that little snapshot.

I was just over in Russellville this past sunday visiting the in-laws...

eagleuh1 06-29-2011 12:08 PM

I made a piece from some scrap sheetmetal I had of the same thickness as original. I just copied the shape of the original, cut it out and bent it up to match the original piece. Then tacked and spot welded it in place, checked the fit and finished tigging it in. Much better than aftermarket core supports. The rest of support was in excellent shape. Wished I had taken pics of piece as being fabricated. Good luck. Jim

eagleuh1 06-29-2011 12:20 PM

Heres a little diagram, hope it helps. Jim
http://i894.photobucket.com/albums/a...1/untitled.jpg

my67c20 06-29-2011 07:02 PM

3 Attachment(s)
Been there. Tried to buy the part from brothers, it was out of stock. Bought a piece of sheet metal from Farm and Fleet bent it up, little bit of welding, picked up some weld nuts from Ace, little bit of paint and just like new

bondo510 06-29-2011 07:06 PM

good job!

BossHogg69 06-29-2011 07:59 PM

That looks really good! I ordered the Brother's patch piece a couple days ago, so hopefully it works out okay. Keep the pics coming guys, I like have some inspiration!

Boog 06-29-2011 11:36 PM

I'm needing to do the same thing to mine. I actually went to Petit jean with that on top of my list of things to pickup. No one there sold them. Guess I'll be ordering from Brothers too.

BossHogg69 06-29-2011 11:42 PM

I looked for one around here too, and didn't find anything. Seems like good parts for 'our' trucks are kinda rare in these parts... But I do see beat up, rusted up, used up stuff all the time!

eagleuh1 06-30-2011 01:18 PM

Its not to hard to make the part. Its hidden so well, you don't even have to do that good a job. LOL. I had a machine shop do the 90 deg bends on mine, but i cut it up and welded it. Wish I had a sheet metal break, but I got a lot of wish I hads. Sure beats replacing the whole core support if yours is in fair shape otherwise. Good luck. Jim.

my67c20 06-30-2011 01:55 PM

Thanks for the comments.

Another problem i had was brothers will list it as back ordered and not actually have ordered them so you could be waiting longer than having a sheet metal shop bend you up some 16ga and just hammer fitting it the rest of the way.

BossHogg69 08-25-2011 02:06 AM

4 Attachment(s)
Finally got around to finishing up what I started. I didn't take any pics of what I cut out, but you get the idea from the pics. I just drilled some holes in the patch piece and plug welded it and dressed it with a 60 grit flap disc. Along the bottom, already had holes from drilling out the spot welds, so I plug welded the patch piece using those holes. I tried to stitch weld it on the bottom too, but I shouldn't have, since it looks like crap. Good thing no one will see my pigeon poop welding down there! Btw, this is the first time I've ever done any welding on sheetmetal. I quickly figured out I don't have the patience for it.... I will say the Brother's patch didn't need much trimming, since the rotten spot I had was pretty big. It was a pretty simple fix overall.

eagleuh1 08-25-2011 10:31 PM

Good job on the repair. Looks real nice. What did the Brothers patch set you back? Jim

BossHogg69 08-25-2011 11:20 PM

If I'm not mistaken, it was right at $50, which is high when you consider its really only about $5 worth of metal, but it had the nuts welded in already, and fit well. It took me a little over an hour to do, including cutting out the rotten spot.

stsalvage 08-26-2011 10:03 PM

5 Attachment(s)
THAT DAM BATTERY BOX And acid it has tore up more trucks then anything.I bought this truck for 650.00 5 years ago and its pretty straight.Its fully loaded just found all the factory AC brackets and got them mocked up.I was looking into buying a new core support then one just drop out of the sky with a wheel well and battery box for a AC truck and same year YAA here are the pic's

stsalvage 08-26-2011 10:07 PM

5 Attachment(s)
newer core support for 50.00 with battery tray and wheel well

stsalvage 08-26-2011 10:08 PM

3 Attachment(s)
Number 3

Boog 09-11-2011 02:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BossHogg69 (Post 4863930)
Finally got around to finishing up what I started. I didn't take any pics of what I cut out, but you get the idea from the pics. I just drilled some holes in the patch piece and plug welded it and dressed it with a 60 grit flap disc. Along the bottom, already had holes from drilling out the spot welds, so I plug welded the patch piece using those holes. I tried to stitch weld it on the bottom too, but I shouldn't have, since it looks like crap. Good thing no one will see my pigeon poop welding down there! Btw, this is the first time I've ever done any welding on sheetmetal. I quickly figured out I don't have the patience for it.... I will say the Brother's patch didn't need much trimming, since the rotten spot I had was pretty big. It was a pretty simple fix overall.

Adam thanks for the pics. I've been wanting to see a pic of the Brothers patch installed. That looks good. It'll do just fine for mine.
And Jim I appreciate your fab skills too. I just don't have the patience for it. ;)

Boog 09-11-2011 07:00 PM

I just ordered a patch panel and radiator cover from Brothers. They have another sale going on until Oct 31. No the patch panel is not one of the sale items....