The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/index.php)
-   The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   73-76 doors (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/showthread.php?t=826938)

smupser 10-17-2021 11:35 PM

73-76 doors

On 73-76 doors, the panels are shorter than the later style 77-80. They are also getting harder to find decent replacements for as the later style are more plentiful. It appears as the inner skin is the same, but on the lower portion of the panel flare on the later style there were holes from the factory that accommodated the taller panel. My question is does anyone know if this is the only difference and if so could you just fill the holes if you want to use the earlier style door panels?

dagnabbitt 10-17-2021 11:43 PM

Re: 73-76 doors

2 Attachment(s)
Unfortunately, there is a bit more to it than that: I am in the same boat, I have a beautiful pair of 73 door panels that I assumed I could use in my 81. I guess someone skilled in fabrication can make it work, but someone skilled in fabrication can do pretty much anything. See photos below, there would be a lot of modifying and/or fabrication involved. Seems like it would be easier to find and reskin some OEM 73 doors instead.

smupser 10-17-2021 11:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dagnabbitt (Post 8985154)
Unfortunately, there is a bit more to it than that: I am in the same boat, I have a beautiful pair of 73 door panels that I assumed I could use in my 81. I guess someone skilled in fabrication can make it work, but someone skilled in fabrication can do pretty much anything. See photos below, there would be a lot of modifying and/or fabrication involved. Seems like it would be easier to find and reskin some OEM 73 doors instead.

Thanks for your pics. Hard to tell but it seems like the panel flare is about the same. With the exception of the pocket that would have to be filled, it looks like you could mig weld the holes, grind them over and smooth with filler?

dagnabbitt 10-18-2021 12:08 AM

I think if you are willing to tackle it and are patient, you might do exactly that. If you try I would love to see the progress because I might do the same.

My understanding is that the internals are also somewhat different since the change in 77 was to accommodate electric window and locks; ie you might find that there is no boss to screw your armrest into etc. But if you are willing to put in all that work I suppose the rest is just a little more work.

It is interesting that the panel flare you are referring to was an actual cosmetic feature 73-76, and that it was simply covered up from 77-91. I had not noticed that before.

smupser 10-18-2021 12:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dagnabbitt (Post 8985168)
I think if you are willing to tackle it and are patient, you might do exactly that. If you try I would love to see the progress because I might do the same.

My understanding is that the internals are also somewhat different since the change in 77 was to accommodate electric window and locks; ie you might find that there is no boss to screw your armrest into etc. But if you are willing to put in all that work I suppose the rest is just a little more work.

It is interesting that the panel flare you are referring to was an actual cosmetic feature 73-76, and that it was simply covered up from 77-91. I had not noticed that before.

I’m just thinking of worst case scenario in case I can’t find replacements for 3 of my projects.

HOTFUN 03-09-2022 03:12 AM

Subscribed