The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/index.php)
-   The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   weird brake light issue (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/showthread.php?t=488093)

iamseth 10-08-2011 10:53 PM

weird brake light issue

My '72 C10 cheyenne was having some rear turn signal/brake light issues. The passenger side would not work one day, driver side the next, then BOTH sides went out. Magically the next morning they would all function fine and then by the time I made it to work.... one side was out again.

Turns out there was a cob web of wiring that was supposed to be a trailer hook up. Real nasty job. So, I pulled all that out and cleaned it up a bit. All the lights are working, but now this is happening:

When either turn signal is on, NO brake lights work.

Has anyone ever seen this before? After looking at the wiring diagram, it seems to me the brake/turn signal is fed by the same wire. I don't understand why the driver side rear brake light won't work when the passenger side turn signal is on and vise versa.

Thoughts?? Sorry for the long explanation.

highliner 10-08-2011 11:20 PM

Re: weird brake light issue

I had a similar issue and i tore open my steering column and found a little plastic clip broken off of the turn signal cam that allowed the metal connections to travel to far, thus making the turn signal connection, but not the brake light connection. Really cheap part and easy fix. Try turning your turn signal on, then back it off slightly, and see if your brake lights come on. I hope that's your only problem.

highliner 10-08-2011 11:23 PM

Also, that turn signal switch in the steering column is what diverts power to the turn signals and brake lights. You can take off your steering column and it's right there for you to watch it all work. Hope this helps.

iamseth 10-08-2011 11:28 PM

Nice.

Will I have to pull column out completely?

Longhorn Man 10-08-2011 11:49 PM

nope, the column stays in place.
Odds are the switch needs replaced.

coop34 10-09-2011 01:01 AM

Had the same thing happen to me. New turn signal switch took care of the problem.

iamseth 10-09-2011 02:12 PM

Thanks for all the input!

Highliner- I tried turning the switch about halfway (right before it clicks into place) and the brake lights didn't go off. Sounds like the switch.

So do I need to pull the steering wheel? I read in a couple other posts that you pull the shifter arm off, but thats all i could get from those. Sorry, I've never changed a TS switch before.

Thanks again!