The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/index.php)
-   The 1960 - 1966 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/forumdisplay.php?f=6)
-   -   brothers disc brake conversion kit (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/showthread.php?t=836940)

catch2otwo 08-06-2022 11:45 AM

brothers disc brake conversion kit

Bought a kit off market place today. Came off a guys 66. Going to go on my 65. Complete kit, master, drop spindles, discs, calipers.

I tried digging up info on the kit but cant find much. The holley site, doesnt tell you anything.

What outer tie rod do I need to use?

Where can I get replacement rotors and pads when the time comes? Thanks in advance.

cwcarpenter98 08-06-2022 02:36 PM

Re: brothers disc brake conversion kit

Tie rod will depend on what spindle you have. Was the kit designed for the stock ball joints, or different year ball joints? Most likely the tie rod end corresponds to whatever year ball joints were used.

Is it 6 lug or 5 lug? If 6 lug, you'll have to special order the 6 lug rotor. CPP sells just the rotor I believe. You can probably find it on Summit Racing. If 5 lug, you can go to your local parts store of choice to get a stock rotor for the later model trucks. Just make sure you order the correct 5 lug rotor (1.25" vs. 1" rotor). You will most likely be able to acquire new pads and calipers for the same year truck you get a 5 lug rotor from if the stuff is stock type.

So, got any pictures of what you purchased? Maybe a part number?

catch2otwo 08-06-2022 03:00 PM

Thanks for the info. I havent dug into it yet. Working today. Ill take a look. They are 6 lug.

cwcarpenter98 08-06-2022 08:14 PM

If the kit was recently purchased, there's a good chance the spindle is made for the factory ball joints for your truck. If it's an older kit, it could be for square body ball joints.

The kit I purchased over 7 years ago, aka before the aftermarket spindles were commonly being manufactured to use the older ball joints, uses square body ball joints in the 63 control arms.

Basically, what I'm saying is order the ball joints and tie rod end stuff that works with your drop spindle and you should be good

catch2otwo 08-07-2022 09:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cwcarpenter98 (Post 9109944)
If the kit was recently purchased, there's a good chance the spindle is made for the factory ball joints for your truck. If it's an older kit, it could be for square body ball joints.

The kit I purchased over 7 years ago, aka before the aftermarket spindles were commonly being manufactured to use the older ball joints, uses square body ball joints in the 63 control arms.

Basically, what I'm saying is order the ball joints and tie rod end stuff that works with your drop spindle and you should be good

Got, dude said the kit is many years old. I did some digging on here and someone posted a chart with the diameters of the holes in the spindle and their corresponding ball joints. Ill do some measuring. Thank you

cwcarpenter98 08-07-2022 01:34 PM

Happy to help!

Jmason 08-13-2022 11:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by catch2otwo (Post 9109812)
Bought a kit off market place today. Came off a guys 66. Going to go on my 65. Complete kit, master, drop spindles, discs, calipers.

I tried digging up info on the kit but cant find much. The holley site, doesnt tell you anything.

What outer tie rod do I need to use?

Where can I get replacement rotors and pads when the time comes? Thanks in advance.

How much did you get it for?

catch2otwo 08-14-2022 09:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jmason (Post 9112313)
how much did you get it for?

$400

Jmason 08-14-2022 09:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by catch2otwo (Post 9112394)
$400

That’s a good deal