The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/index.php)
-   The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   Balancing factory Steelie rims (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/showthread.php?t=750194)

tjsblazer 11-10-2017 12:14 AM

Balancing factory Steelie rims

I have a set of freshly powder coated 8" wide steelie rims.
They are going on a full restoration. I'm not really wanting to use the regular silver lead hammer on weights on the outer rim of the wheel because of appearance.

What are my other options? What have others done? It is going on a 4x4 with 33" tires.

thx.

Killer Bee 11-10-2017 01:02 AM

Re: Balancing factory Steelie rims

balancing beads and centramatics offer continous dynamic balancing to compensate for rocks, mud, snow, etc. that builds up and flings off..

fixed weights can sometimes be clamped on inboard rim edge or taped on.. taped weights are vulnerable to road hazards and peeling loose so extra surface prep and or edge sealant may be required..

good luck!

Stocker 11-10-2017 02:10 AM

You can use conventional weights on the inner wheel lip only.... none on the outer lip. Any decent tire shop should be able to do it, just ask 'em.

special-K 11-10-2017 07:34 AM

I just put weights on the inside for a clean look. But my '72 has white 8" steel wheels and it has conventional lead weights because it's not a custom truck and the weights are just as appropriate now as when these trucks was new.

hewittca 11-10-2017 10:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by special-K (Post 8079274)
I just put weights on the inside for a clean look. But my '72 has white 8" steel wheels and it has conventional lead weights because it's not a custom truck and the weights are just as appropriate now as when these trucks was new.

Agreed there. I was originally wanting to make sure I had no weights on the outside, but the tire shop could not get my wheels balanced without them. After they were on, I realized they didn't look too bad and then I thought, well that's how they've always been balanced so if I'm going for a stock look then this fits right in.

I've also tried the tire beads in the past, but on my much lighter VW Beetle because no one could balance the wide 5 lug pattern on those. I'm not sure if there were any vibrations without them because I never drove it without, but I can say there were at least no vibrations with the beads in the tires!

jjzepplin 11-10-2017 10:22 AM

I had the beads on 36" Super Swampers and they worked well.

BLT gmc 11-10-2017 11:44 AM

Balancing beads all the way. tire/wheel is more likely to b e balanced than fixed weights, esp if the is mud dirt debris on the rim/tire

chewychevy67 11-10-2017 01:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by special-K (Post 8079274)

I too did weights on both sides of my powder coated rims. In my opinion it's the way it was done back then and haven't heard a single person comment on them so its a non issue for me.

jocko 11-10-2017 01:20 PM

I try to have them balanced on inside lip only. If the shop can’t get there with that approach, then the outer lip - yes that’s how it was done in the day, but that doesn’t mean it still doesn’t look better without em.

Rfisher 11-10-2017 01:54 PM

I just went through this two weeks ago. Opted to have the weights placed on the inside only. I'm happy with the fresh clean look.

leddzepp 11-10-2017 03:41 PM

I’ve had the wheels balanced on the inside only on every vehicle I’ve ever owned. Zero issues.