The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/index.php)
-   The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   Restoring Rusty (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/showthread.php?t=645440)

enaberif 04-17-2016 09:59 AM

Re: Restoring Rusty

H and X pipes aren't a gimmick. By the same though process dual pipes is a gimmick.

H and X pipes help with sound and balancing out the pulses from the engine and can actually make things better. But too many people LOVE droning noise in the cabs or to be obnoxious with their exhaust.. *ahem*Flow 40s*ahem*

foamypirate 04-17-2016 11:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by enaberif (Post 7563526)
H and X pipes aren't a gimmick. By the same though process dual pipes is a gimmick.

H and X pipes help with sound and balancing out the pulses from the engine and can actually make things better. But too many people LOVE droning noise in the cabs or to be obnoxious with their exhaust.. *ahem*Flow 40s*ahem*

x2. My friend's 6.0L swap picked up quite a bit of low end torque swapping to an X-pipe (dyno verified). They aren't just a gimmick.

Gregski 04-17-2016 11:44 AM

3 Attachment(s)
just wanted to show you how the 833 transmission sits in the tunnel and how far back the shifter sits, see how we had to notch it about 1.5" around the shifter mechanism

I am wondering if the 80s trucks had a longer transmission tunnel than our 70s counterparts, maybe one of youz with an 80s squarebody could share a pic with us or some measurements of your manual transmission tunnel please

note the stock generic GM stick, I need to take it in to a place to have them thread the tip for me, I think CarQuest still has one machine shop around here

hatzie 04-17-2016 01:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by foamypirate (Post 7563612)
x2. My friend's 6.0L swap picked up quite a bit of low end torque swapping to an X-pipe (dyno verified). They aren't just a gimmick.

As the guy I quoted said. They allow you to use slightly larger pipes without the performance and noise penalty usually associated with going too big.

Gregski 04-21-2016 11:25 PM

4 Attachment(s)
so where are we on this project, let me give you some updates

First I returned the 1988 drive shaft as it was 3 inches too short, and as I learned, the drive line shops do not lengthen tubes, they replace them, so all I could use out of the drive line was maybe the transmission yoke, the U joint at the rear was the wrong size to mate with the differential

so I took today off and hit four junkyards

I picked up this 70" long, long bed driveshaft from a 1976 GMC (here we go again a GMC to GMC transplant) this shaft measures about 3.5" thick in the middle and tapers down to about 2.75 at each end, note that, it is important

Pros: both the spline end in the front and the U joint in the rear are correct (well not exactly, yes the rear is the right diameter 1.063 but at only 3.246" it is too narrow for the diff yoke)

Cons: the shaft is too long and it is damaged [revised: and the rear U joint is too narrow]

Lesson Learned: The drive line place/shop only installs straight pipes and not tappered ones, so I can't use the ends from this shaft to get a new tube installed, I would need new ends, spline yoke and U joint, more on that later, and since I basically exchanged my 88 one for this one, this lesson cost me nothin'

Gregski 04-21-2016 11:30 PM

4 Attachment(s)
then I spied with my little eye this other long bed 70" shaft off of a 1976, but I punted on it cause it's ends were also tapered and if I was to shorten it to 59" I would need new yokes and U joint ends anyway

plus this truck lived a hard life, it looked like Death on Wheels

Gregski 04-21-2016 11:38 PM

3 Attachment(s)
so then I happen to walk by a 1983 El Camino and thought ah what the heck lemme check if it's a boy or a girl

and very interesting it has a shaft that is 61 inches long (only 2 inches too long) measures 3 1/4" in the middle section and tapers down to 2 3/4" just like the long bed one

Pros: although it is also tapered on both ends it has the same taper 2 3/4" like the long bed one, and there is plenty of room to shorten it 2 inches, and it was plugged in to a Turbo 350 so we are good on the front end / yoke spline thingie

Cons: it is only a 3 1/4 thick drive in the middle, and the back U joint is the wrong size, at 1.125" the diameter of the roundy rounds is a bit too big for the yoke in the differential

Plan: have this one shortened and use one of them combination U joints with 2 caps of one size and the other 2 of a different size, or just have the proper new U joint thingie installed by the drive line shop

Gregski 04-21-2016 11:46 PM

1 Attachment(s)
so here is where I find myself, I am a proud owner of three drive shafts right now

1. my original two piece Muncie SM465 one (backwards in the picture I think, LOL)

2. the 1976 long bed damaged, too long, with the wrong U joint one

3. the 1983 El Camino just barely too long one with the wrong U joint

I know some of you may be rolling your eyes but I enjoy learning about this stuff this works much better for me than reading a book or a manual, I have physically touched these drive lines and I know what they are and what they do now, I think that is pretty cool

Gregski 04-21-2016 11:48 PM

1 Attachment(s)
here is how close we are with the El Caminio 61" drive shaft installed, just 2 inches away from a test drive, ha ha

daddyjeep 04-22-2016 09:13 AM

Here's a thought for you Rusty...get the yoke off of the El Camino rear end and put it on yours. They are both 10 bolts right?

jwilson645 04-22-2016 09:46 AM

OR......if the tapered end of the Elco shaft is the same diameter of yours, use the yoke of your drive shaft on the Elco shaft after you have it shortened.

Gregski 04-22-2016 10:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by daddyjeep (Post 7569295)
Here's a thought for you Rusty...get the yoke off of the El Camino rear end and put it on yours. They are both 10 bolts right?

thanks, but mine is a 12 bolt, I got the beefier rear end (wait... that didn't sound right, you git what I mean, ha ha)

Gregski 04-22-2016 10:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jwilson645 (Post 7569327)
OR......if the tapered end of the Elco shaft is the same diameter of yours, use the yoke of your drive shaft on the Elco shaft after you have it shortened.

all good suggestions, but mine is a 2 piece so its thicker I think 3" and the Elco taperes down to 2 3/4, LOL

I am having fun, love figuring out this sort of stuff

again thanks for all the suggestions guys n gals, that's why I share

Gregski 04-23-2016 11:24 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Remember these guys?

68Timber 04-23-2016 11:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gregski (Post 7570511)
Remember these guys?

They must have come after Ren & Stimpy

Titomars 04-23-2016 01:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gregski (Post 7570511)
Remember these guys?

Pinky and the Brain. hah never really watched them but I remember from my kids watching them. For me it was the Bugs Bunny and Road Runner show

Gregski 04-23-2016 11:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chaplain (Post 7570744)
Hey I realize you're on to other things. However, can you coach me on the order in which the parts go back on as far as the grill and core support? My core support is already in place with the finders and headlight harness. Now I'm stuck.

LOL, you give me too much credit, mine is only held on by the two big bottom bolts with the rubber bushings and maybe one bolt on each side on top to each fender, just enuff to mount the radiator to run the engine

Gregski 04-23-2016 11:13 PM

3 Attachment(s)
sharing is caring so here we go, so a little secret for you all, sometimes I like to take a Thursday off work and work on my truck in piece or go to the junkyard, you see the wife is at work, the kids are at school, and it's just me, Rusty, and Bud in the garage

ok, having said that, last time I went to Pick n Pull not only did I get a couple driveshafts, I also bronged home two more transmission crossmembers

now what in the world did you done that for Greg?

well I wasn't too a happy with the way I was mounting the trans with my old crossmember so I thought I could do better

so here is my collection

1. my old original Muncie SM465 4 speed cross member aka da Double Humper for 2WD

2. Turbo 400 TH400 automatic transmission for 2WD cross member

3. Turbo 350 TH350 automatic transmission for 2WD cross member

4. automatic transmission cross member for a 4x4 aka 4WD

Gregski 04-23-2016 11:23 PM

4 Attachment(s)
ok Greg, I am confused here, what is it that you are trying to accomplish here?

well our trucks came with the New Process 833 overdrive transmission in the early to mid 80s so I am looking for the crossmember that will allow us a simple bolt up with no modifications no holes to be drilled

lets review, the the one in the forefront in the picture, the nice and black one, that is one for a 4x4 truck and it won't work because it does not have the two holes to mount up the transmission bracket to, and the single hole bracket don't align with any of its holes, plus it sits too high, so we punt on that one

the second one from the front is the TH350 trans and when we compare it to my old one (the double humper) we see that though they look different they sit the same height above the bottom rail, about 2 inches above it, this one looks promising lets give it a go

Gregski 04-23-2016 11:29 PM

2 Attachment(s)
and here is the New Process 833 overdrive transmission held in place with the Turbo Hydramatic 350 TH350, it works, it fits, BUT...

lets go over a few lessons we learned whilst (yes I do use the word whilst from time to time, it's a lost art really) installing this automatic cross member

first I did not like my old crossmember because it did not align the two transmission bracket holes with it nicely, the transmission sat about 1/2 inch to the passenger side, well, same goes for this TH350 crossmember, so maybe there is nothing wrong with my old crossmember, maybe the transmission is crooked, yep, sure enuff

LESSON LEARNED: don't tighten mounts / brackets / anything super tight until you got everything fitted

we loosened the engine brackets and the transmission shifted into place nicely, about 14 inches is the center between my frame rails

Gregski 04-23-2016 11:33 PM

2 Attachment(s)
so the TH350 transmission cross member fits but...

but it don't play nice with long tube headers / dual exhaust (2.5 inch to be specific) hard to tell in the pictures but we need at least 1 inch more of clearance

hewk I could have had my collector extension pipes modified, or had some new ones bent, but why if I could just [wait for it] go back to my awesome Double Humper original cross member

Gregski 04-23-2016 11:37 PM

and that's what I did, I mounted my old transmission crossmember back into place, but this time I did not flip it front to back like last time to get the bracket holes to align, this time the transmission was properly shifted / aligned on center so the bolt holes matched up

I did loosen the cab mounting bolts and lifted the cab just enough to remove those four top cross member bolts in the top frame rail, and I only dropped in the one on each side that fit the new hole position

on the bottom I was able to elongate one hole in the bottom brackets and use two bolts on the bottom

so in total my crossmember is held on with 3 bolts on each side

so this was a classic example of one step forward three steps back, I had to remove the exhaust, I had to undo the engine brackets, I had to loosen the cab bolts, etc....

was it worth it, hewz yes

Gregski 04-23-2016 11:41 PM

5 Attachment(s)
man I just about had enuff of crawlin' under the truck today and had to do something different, something above ground, and so I did

I decided to give it a go and cut out a hole for the shifter in the ol' transmission tunnel

it ain't perfect, needs a bit of biggering but it's a nice start

Gregski 04-23-2016 11:44 PM

4 Attachment(s)
not a big fan of how the shifter protrudes on that curved edge, wish the tunnel was about 3 inches longer

flashed 04-24-2016 09:22 AM

Looking good Greg.