The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/index.php)
-   The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   Restoring Rusty (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/showthread.php?t=645440)

pontgta 12-11-2014 12:02 PM

Re: Restoring Rusty

Probably the cold weather. Too thick not enough time to "flash" in cold weather

xbanone 12-11-2014 03:17 PM

Love the build! what is the name of the color you painted the inner fender?

Gregski 12-11-2014 05:49 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by xbanone (Post 6953668)
Love the build! what is the name of the color you painted the inner fender?

Thank you, Lime Green GM code 517

Gregski 12-11-2014 07:57 PM

Re: Restoring Rusty - Is her name Holley?

3 Attachment(s)
so Christmas came a little early this year, my refurbished Holley carb arrived today, and I just want to share my excitement, I know to some of you this may be old hat, but this is the first new(ish) carb I ever bought, my first Holley!

Or as my daughter put it "Is that a robot daddy? I know it's something for your truck for sure!"

rusty76 12-11-2014 09:12 PM

Good looking carb

Gregski 12-12-2014 11:58 PM

Re: Restoring Rusty - Oil Dipstick Tube

4 Attachment(s)
I hope this broken oil dipstick tube is responsible for at least some of the leakage. Got this "Performance" (pronounced made in China) chrome part at AutoZone for like $8 bucks cause not even NAPA had the proper OEM part.

I did not know there were two pieces to this beast, so I dropped the oil pan and hammered it out from the bottom, only to have a 1.5 inch piece fall out followed by this long tube which I assume is some sort of guide tube.

Gregski 12-13-2014 12:10 AM

Re: Restoring Rusty - First Oil Change

4 Attachment(s)
Normally one of the first things I do on a newly acquired used vehicle is an oil change but knowing I would be dropping off the pan to do a proper one on Rusty I procrastinated a lil bit

Gregski 12-13-2014 03:35 AM

Re: Restoring Rusty - Freeze Plugs

3 Attachment(s)
Rusty, why did you have to wait a day after I just put brand new coolant in you to tell me about this rusty freeze plug?

I tried to pry it out with a flat screw driver that didn't work. So I tried to pull it out with my trusty vice grips, yeah right, the plug just laughed at me. So I punched it all the way in and pried it out that way. The pic show it pushed all the way in.

I also used a magnet on an antena stick to pull out any metal flakes that may have fallen in.

y5mgisi 12-13-2014 06:49 PM

Re: Restoring Rusty - Freeze Plugs

What fun!

rusty76 12-13-2014 07:05 PM

The 400 sbc in my '76 had four freeze plugs to rust out. I replace three and gave up on the fourth. They're a PIB.

77 350 Shorty Wide 12-13-2014 07:07 PM

Make sure you get that lower guide tube back in. Otherwise the dipstick could end up in the crankshaft. I'm sure many people have reassembled engines withour them and have never had any trouble but the factory put one in there for a reason. Just my two cents.
I've been following this thread and you're doing a great job, keep up the good work and updates coming

God Bless, Terry

Gregski 12-14-2014 12:10 AM

3 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by 77 350 Shorty Wide (Post 6956195)
Make sure you get that lower guide tube back in.

Yes sir, totally agree, I gave up trying to pretend I am smarter than the GM army of engineers long time ago, LOL.

The anal-yst in me couldn't live with the chrome tube so I went to a junk yard and pulled an original. I know this is a small thing, but if it doesn't read the oil level proper cause the dip stick doesn't go deep enough or goes down too far that's not right.

Gregski 12-14-2014 12:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 77 350 Shorty Wide (Post 6956195)
I've been following this thread and you're doing a great job, keep up the good work and updates coming

thank you very much, feedback keeps me going

Gregski 12-14-2014 12:14 AM

Re: Restoring Rusty - Taillight Lense

2 Attachment(s)
Made another trip to the junkyard and picked up a few little things, including a proper left taillight lense.

If you look at them side by side my old one is missing about an inch of red plastic down the right side in addition to the busted corner, etc.

job done

Gregski 12-14-2014 12:24 AM

Re: Restoring Rusty - Door Sill Plates

1 Attachment(s)
also picked up these black door sill plates for the simple fact that they are black and that they run the length of my door unlike my shorty aluminum ones

one junkyard called one Moulding (per foot) and charged me $7 bucks the other location (same company) wanted $10 for the same part but then matched the price, new ones at LMC Truck are $30 plus shipping

usually I don't haggle on prices but I was getting the exact same part

Gregski 12-14-2014 12:25 AM

FACT: Hard to find manual transmission trucks at the junkyard all of them seem to be automatic.

Gregski 12-14-2014 01:00 AM

Re: Restoring Rusty - Four Bolt Main

1 Attachment(s)
Engine Casting Number: 3970010 four bolt main - confirmed

Could GM make it more difficult to read the casting number, I mean to put it by the bell housing under the firewall, I had to get my Contortionist License just to read the darn thing

Anyway, did I mention it's a four bolt main? Heck maybe all the trucks were like that I don't know but four is better than two in my book.

Gregski 12-14-2014 04:37 PM

Re: Restoring Rusty - Crossmember Crud

1 Attachment(s)
more crud scraped off just the cross member

Gregski 12-14-2014 04:50 PM

Re: Restoring Rusty - Oil Pan Repar

4 Attachment(s)
The Oil Pan needed some minor repairs, can you see the dent in the valley of the drain plug, not sure if you can in these pics

... luckily I have my Mobile Oil Pan Flattening Station - MOPFS, so I busted out the ProMark 3000 (a very versatile piece of equipment) and banged it out

Gregski 12-14-2014 04:53 PM

Re: Restoring Rusty - Clean 'em Parts

1 Attachment(s)
another reason I like to meticulously clean parts is that sometimes you get rewarded and see numbers, sometimes they are part numbers and sometimes they are helpful

this is on the oil pan

rusty76 12-14-2014 07:16 PM

Nice work.

Gregski 12-15-2014 12:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rusty76 (Post 6957557)
Nice work.

Thanks

Gregski 12-15-2014 12:58 AM

Re: Restoring Rusty - Inspection Cover

2 Attachment(s)
Spent the day cleaning, cleaning, and prepping, here is the inside of the inspection or dust cover what ever it is called, goes in front of the flywheel

Gregski 12-15-2014 01:00 AM

Re: Restoring Rusty - Painted the Inspection Cover

4 Attachment(s)
after a lot of cleaning, degreasing, and paint stripping I decided to paint the dust cover with POR15, only doing one coat so it actually dries cause it is winter

Gregski 12-15-2014 01:03 AM

Re: Restoring Rusty - Oil Pan

3 Attachment(s)
then it was time to clean the oil pan

this must be what goes on in the pit at Jiffy Lube, they must be really good at it, to drop the pan and clean it like this in 30 minutes or less, LOL

sgr60 12-15-2014 01:07 AM

Subscribed - awesome work you're doing!

Gregski 12-15-2014 01:07 AM

Re: Restoring Rusty - Painted the Oil Pan

4 Attachment(s)
it was time for POR15 on the oil pan as well, also one coat just to cover up the raw metal, in the Summer time I would have done two

Shoved a rolled up paper towel in the drain plug hole to protect the threads, and I put blue tape around the surface where the gasket will go so I would not get any POR15 paint on there, I think the stuff is kinda thick and I wanted to keep the area virgin

Gregski 12-15-2014 01:12 AM

Re: Restoring Rusty - Oil Pan and Pickup Tube

4 Attachment(s)
you ever seen that cartoon with the devil on the guys one shoulder and an angel on the other...

ANGEL: Do it right, how many times are you going to drop the pan, install a new oil pump and pickup tube while you are at it, also get the one piece gasket.

DEVIL: Dude IT'S A TRUCK!!! Forget the new oil pump, just get the cheapest cork gasket and call it good! No one will know.

Gregski 12-15-2014 01:17 AM

The Oil Pump is arguably the most important component in the Internal Combustion Engine, yet it requires no gasket for installation, what gives?

Gregski 12-15-2014 01:22 AM

Re: Restoring Rusty - Temperature Sensors

3 Attachment(s)
What's worse than one Temperature Sensor? (think more places to leak from)

I don't get it why do our trucks require two of them? I get that one is for the Transmission Controlled Spark System - TCS (manual transmission trucks only) and the other for the gauge, but why can't one sensor serve double duty?

Gregski 12-15-2014 01:27 AM

Re: Restoring Rusty - New Freeze Plug

2 Attachment(s)
So picked up and installed the new freeze plug. I inspected two others (one on opposite side, and one in front by the fuel pump) and they looked ok. I could not get to the two in the rear of the engine, or the two under the engine mounts, nor the last one by the steering pump.

I used a 1" socket to get it started.

Looks good, so does it leak?

OH HECK YES - First thing tomorrow I am off to AutoZone for a new one and their Freeze Plug Installation Kit.

Gregski 12-15-2014 01:45 AM

Re: Restoring Rusty - Starter Cable

1 Attachment(s)
even took off the starter cable to clean it ~ I'm a sick puppy

Can someone tell me why this positive terminal cable is BLACK instead of RED?

Gregski 12-15-2014 01:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sgr60 (Post 6958090)
Subscribed - awesome work you're doing!

Thank you

Gregski 12-16-2014 02:52 AM

Re: Restoring Rusty - Back to the Blower Unit

5 Attachment(s)
Finally got the blower unit reassembled, and put back on the truck, and I must say it looks the business!

I ended up using the 3M Strip-Calk product aka "dumb dumb" between it and the firewall as someone on this forum recommended, thanks again.

Gregski 12-16-2014 02:56 AM

Re: Restoring Rusty - Watchin' Paint Dry

1 Attachment(s)
Winter Projects Suck, even here in Cali, especially painting in the winter, so you have to get creative. Here we peak inside our paint booth and literally watch paint dry, as I had to get creative. This little yellow halogen jobbie is 500 Watts and puts off some good heat.

Gregski 12-16-2014 03:00 AM

Re: Restoring Rusty - Finally Fluids Going In

2 Attachment(s)
man I thought I would never change that oil, always wanted to line my oil cans up like that, TV car show style and all, LOL

I know its cheap Oil but if there's anything my daddy taught me it's that it is better to replace cheap oil often than expensive oil NEVER, am I right fellas.

Splurged $2 bucks on a new 1/2 inch drain plug as the washer on my old one was crusty.

Gregski 12-16-2014 03:04 AM

Re: Restoring Rusty - Radiator Drain Plug

4 Attachment(s)
Look at that radiator drain plug, can you see those buggers stuck in it, that would explain why I had to remove the lower radiator hose to drain it.

Interesting design GM, flushing the cooling system hinges on one tiny 1/4 inch hole, why couldn't you just give us a wing nut type plug and call it good.

No hon I did not see your Q-tips, why would I take em?!

Gregski 12-16-2014 03:07 AM

Re: Restoring Rusty - Engine Block Drain Plug

1 Attachment(s)
Took out this passenger side engine block drain plug for no reason, well I guess to drain the coolant out of the block to replace the poorly installed new freeze plug again.

I wish I had a picture of this little guy cleaned up, thought I did, oh well, used a wire whee, and it cleaned up real good. I opted no to remove it's twin from the driver side, didn't wanna push my luck.

Gregski 12-16-2014 03:11 AM

Re: Restoring Rusty - Starter

2 Attachment(s)
First time I dealt with a starter with shims, I guess that explains the two busted starter teeth I found in the bell housing under the fly wheel, must have been from the old starter.

Gregski 12-16-2014 03:15 AM

Re: Restoring Rusty - Wire Hangers

1 Attachment(s)
got some new wiring mounting clips/hangers only to find out they are not the same kind, the old ones only have a bolt hole on one side and just bend over, not too happy with these, does anybody know where to get the OEM style hangers?

So cleaned up and re used the old ones. These run along my oil pan and hold the positive starter cable and others to the pan.