The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/index.php)
-   Detailing (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/forumdisplay.php?f=65)
-   -   Remove Overspray From Brand New Tires?? (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/showthread.php?t=518818)

mosesburb 04-09-2012 11:38 PM

Remove Overspray From Brand New Tires??

I got some overspray on a brand new set of tires. Single stage urethane (mean stuff). It is very dry now as I did not realize I did it until now. I know some chemicals that will take it off, but I don't want to ruin or reduce the life of the tires by using it.
Anybody know a safe way to remove overspray from new tires??

BruthaMan 04-10-2012 12:22 AM

Re: Remove Overspray From Brand New Tires??

Not sure what to recommend to get it off, however, I have used a product called Forever Black on tires, black plastic trim, rubber seals, etc and it works very well. It "soaks" into rubber and covered up some overspray I had on some old rubber seals.

oldschool18 04-10-2012 12:42 AM

you can try adhesive remover or maybe you a scotch brite pad or a sos pad, I use to put vasoline on the tire and then you can paint the rim and then just spray off the vasoline. but if you forget to cover the tire when you spray the body that sucks

mosesburb 04-10-2012 02:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BruthaMan (Post 5304295)
Not sure what to recommend to get it off, however, I have used a product called Forever Black on tires, black plastic trim, rubber seals, etc and it works very well. It "soaks" into rubber and covered up some overspray I had on some old rubber seals.

I use the Mothers version of that stuff. It works great for reviving black trim. I think if I had this stuff on prior to the paint it would wipe right off, but I think this paint is too far cured for this stuff.

Quote:

Originally Posted by oldschool18 (Post 5304325)
you can try adhesive remover or maybe you a scotch brite pad or a sos pad, I use to put vasoline on the tire and then you can paint the rim and then just spray off the vasoline. but if you forget to cover the tire when you spray the body that sucks

It is not quite that much. I was painting a couple panels over here and the tires were over there. The paint rode a breeze over to the tires so it is not very heavy/thick. I forgot how evil the overspray from single stage urethane is or I would have tarped the stack of tires. Ugh.

rsavage 04-10-2012 06:56 AM

Maybe a little enamel reducer?

yfs200p 04-10-2012 09:11 PM

black spray paint....

Willys47 04-10-2012 10:46 PM

try paint striper or brake fluid

BIGKEV 04-11-2012 12:08 AM

Have em flipped on the wheel!

cdowns 04-11-2012 07:23 AM

i'd try hot water and soap with a brillo pad first

sduckworth13 04-11-2012 04:41 PM

The Magic Eraser
Posted via Mobile Device

solidaxel 04-14-2012 07:22 PM

Back in the 60's we used brake fluid on suspension rubber parts for a lube, should work great on your tires to remove paint, it will remove the paint on the car, just don't get it on the tread !!!!

mosesburb 04-15-2012 02:15 AM

There are some good ideas in here, but I think I am going to try the brake fluid route first. I had a "weekend project" that is currently entering its third week so I haven't had a chance to get after this project. I was talking with a buddy of mine and he said back in the days prior to ArmorAll, his dad would shine up the tires on his vehicle with some brake fluid and we all know how destructive it is to automotive paint, so I figure it is a good place to start. Just curious, why do you say to keep it off the tread??

I will report back with my results in case someone else forgets to cover a brand new stack of tires when they blow several coats of single stage urethane nearby.

scapegoat67 09-08-2012 08:36 PM

lacquer thinner and elbow grease .

truckdude239 09-08-2012 10:45 PM

just an fyi brake fuild on tires will dry the rubber out as will lacquer thinner

gimpie01 09-14-2012 12:52 PM

Bug and tar remover works well.

aggie91 01-17-2013 01:08 PM

I always used enamel reducer on a rag for getting it off the rubber. Afterward, I would clean it with soap and water and then apply a protectant to keep the rubber from drying out. Always worked welll for me.

theastronaut 01-17-2013 04:38 PM

Glass bead blasting will work if you remove the tires.

LockDoc 01-17-2013 05:52 PM

No matter how you clean them you need to re-coat them with a protectant. Here is some info I found on the net...

To protect tires, manufactures add a wax compound to reduce ozone and water damage. The wax is designed to sit at the surface of the tire and form a protective barrier between ozone and water, and the tire rubber. The wax only moves to the surface, when the tires flex. This happens every time you drive, and is called “blooming”. Cars that sit for extended periods of time don’t experience blooming, and are unprotected against ozone. Combined with UV light, drying, discoloration and cracking begin very rapidly.

The solution is tire dressings. Tire dressings are designed to protect the tire, restore essential moisture, and condition the rubber.

This is why it is important to use a quality tire dressing. You want a dressing that not only provides UV protection, but also is devoid of chemicals such as petroleum distillates.

Recommended Dressings: Lexol Viynlex, Aerospace 303, Pinnacle Rubber Protectant, Zaino Z-16, and Meguiars Endurance.

LockDoc

piecesparts 01-17-2013 08:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by scapegoat67 (Post 5582035)
lacquer thinner and elbow grease .

:metal:

gimpie01 01-18-2013 12:01 PM

bug and tar remover works great

72BlckButy 01-18-2013 10:26 PM

Since this was initially posted back in April of '12 any updates?

What worked?

mosesburb 01-20-2013 02:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LockDoc (Post 5824331)
No matter how you clean them you need to re-coat them with a protectant. Here is some info I found on the net...

To protect tires, manufactures add a wax compound to reduce ozone and water damage. The wax is designed to sit at the surface of the tire and form a protective barrier between ozone and water, and the tire rubber. The wax only moves to the surface, when the tires flex. This happens every time you drive, and is called “blooming”. Cars that sit for extended periods of time don’t experience blooming, and are unprotected against ozone. Combined with UV light, drying, discoloration and cracking begin very rapidly.

The solution is tire dressings. Tire dressings are designed to protect the tire, restore essential moisture, and condition the rubber.

This is why it is important to use a quality tire dressing. You want a dressing that not only provides UV protection, but also is devoid of chemicals such as petroleum distillates.

Recommended Dressings: Lexol Viynlex, Aerospace 303, Pinnacle Rubber Protectant, Zaino Z-16, and Meguiars Endurance.

LockDoc

That is some great information there Leon. I have wondered about that because around here tires start cracking long before they are worn out. I have talked with tire guys and they claim tires are made the same as they used to be, but I don't remember tires age cracking as quickly, say, even ten years ago. <dunno>

mosesburb 01-20-2013 02:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 72BlckButy (Post 5827268)
Since this was initially posted back in April of '12 any updates?

What worked?

Well, one would think there should be an update, but to be honest, I haven't even had a chance to install the panels I painted that created this overspray, much less clean the overspray off the tires. Events seem to conspire against my available time :lol:. I do appreciate all of the great ideas presented here and I will definitely post up what I try and whether I can get it to work or not.

DANTES JIMMY 02-07-2013 07:38 PM

Sand blast em makes em look brand new

AirSpeed 02-07-2013 10:26 PM

I used Comet cleanser to get urethane off my tire, it worked great. I always use comet to clean my tires anyway, they come out super black and if you have white lettering in them they will turn out very bright white.
Posted via Mobile Device