The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/index.php)
-   The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   EZ Wiring Problems (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/showthread.php?t=822070)

VDOG 05-24-2021 03:52 PM

EZ Wiring Problems

Haven't been here in awhile.
Trying to install the wires having issues at every turn. Now I don't have brake lights or turn signal lights. Installed new C10 tail lights and theres only two wires, a hot and a ground. My question, does the park and turn light wires both connect to that one hot wire or am I missing something?

rockyrivermark 05-24-2021 04:11 PM

Re: EZ Wiring Problems

I’m guessing one wire is turn signal/brake and the other is running lights.
Ground would be to the chassis?
Mark

VDOG 05-24-2021 04:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rockyrivermark (Post 8924387)
I’m guessing one wire is turn signal/brake and the other is running lights.
Ground would be to the chassis?
Mark

Correct, which is how its ran, yet I have running lights, but no turn or brake.

Big Kev-O 05-24-2021 05:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by VDOG (Post 8924380)
Haven't been here in awhile.
Trying to install the wires having issues at every turn. Now I don't have brake lights or turn signal lights. Installed new C10 tail lights and theres only two wires, a hot and a ground. My question, does the park and turn light wires both connect to that one hot wire or am I missing something?

To answer your question, NO the park and turn light wires do not get connected to the same wire. NEITHER WIRE LEAVING THE SOCKET IS A GROUND. The dark green wire is for the right brake/turn, yellow is the left brake/turn and the brown one for the tail light(running light). The socket is grounded when the metal housing is screwed to the bedside. There is no wire for the ground.

The bulb and socket inside the housing should be the dual filament type. meaning the have two contact points on that connect the end of the bulb, one for each wire.

I installed the same kit and if I remember correct the colors on the harness should match the taillight wires.

So you should have the two wire connected to the yellow & brown on the left side and the green & brown on the right. If you have theses connected and the tail light housings screwed in they should work. If the don't you may have made a mistake wiring the headlight switch, steering column or high/low floor switch. All of which need to be wired in order for the tail light & signals to work.

VDOG 05-25-2021 02:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Big Kev-O (Post 8924404)
To answer your question, NO the park and turn light wires do not get connected to the same wire. NEITHER WIRE LEAVING THE SOCKET IS A GROUND. The dark green wire is for the right brake/turn, yellow is the left brake/turn and the brown one for the tail light(running light). The socket is grounded when the metal housing is screwed to the bedside. There is no wire for the ground.

My brand new C10 tail lights came with two wires, a black ground and a dark green. Thats it. I don't have the original C10 connectors to the tail lights anymore due to frayed of age. I keep reading where people are posting that they figured out the problem, but not saying how.

72c20customcamper 05-25-2021 02:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by VDOG (Post 8924783)
My brand new C10 tail lights came with two wires, a black ground and a dark green. Thats it. I don't have the original C10 connectors to the tail lights anymore due to frayed of age. I keep reading where people are posting that they figured out the problem, but not saying how.

The socket makes the ground, one wire is for brake and turn signal the other is running lights . The only time you would have a ground wire is with a plastic socket.

Wrenchbender Ret 05-25-2021 02:51 PM

These new lights are not always color coded. The dark green wire will be the stop/turn light & connect to the green wire in the harness when used on the right hand side. It will connect to the yellow wire in the harness on the left side. The black wire will go to the brown wires on the harness on both sides. The ground is provided by the mounting brackets. You can verify this by touching each wire to a terminal on the battery & holding the fixture against the other term.
George

LS short box 05-25-2021 04:31 PM

When I did my C10 with a Painless kit I ran a ground wires from the tail light housings to the frame rail. Just ran a self tapping screw into the housing.
Maybe over kill but it worked for me.

gmc684x4 05-25-2021 05:38 PM

Lights ground to box
Box grounds to frame
Look at where all the factory ground straps go

truckster 05-25-2021 11:28 PM

I just finished an EZ Wiring kit. There are no ground wires - you have to supply your own. The two wires you describe are for the tail and stop lamps. Mine did have the correct (or close to correct) colors for the rear harness.

A picture of what you are working with might help.

michael bustamante 05-26-2021 05:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gmc684x4 (Post 8924886)
Lights ground to box
Box grounds to frame
Look at where all the factory ground straps go

yes!! run those ground sraps. especially one from the bed near the lights to the frame

gmc684x4 05-26-2021 07:03 PM

Number 1 issue with trucks grounds #2 grounds #3 grounds
Real factory wiring relies on ground straps as well

71CHEVYSHORTBED402 05-27-2021 02:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gmc684x4 (Post 8925292)
Number 1 issue with trucks grounds #2 grounds #3 grounds
Real factory wiring relies on ground straps as well

It's why I bought a bought a pilot brush. Must be nice to have wiring, ordered mine early February:metal:

MikeB 06-02-2021 12:12 PM

You might want to have someone step on the brakes and then use a multimeter or test light to make sure you're getting 12 volts to the brake/turn signal lamps. Is your flasher module installed in the fuse panel?