The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/index.php)
-   The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   Restoring Rusty (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/showthread.php?t=645440)

enaberif 01-02-2016 12:18 AM

Re: Restoring Rusty

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gregski (Post 7431309)
Is that what the pokey thing at the end is, I thought it was just part of the slide mechanism, ah embarrassing :dohh:

LOL oh Gregski :lol:

LT7A 01-04-2016 04:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by flashed (Post 7419235)
I have heard of the show but its not available in my current Directv package and I dont want to give them anymore of my truck money.Directv wants me to renew for 2 years and up my price and I wont do it.

I'm with you on keeping the cable/satellite companies from getting too far into my checkbook. I watch the bootleg copies on youtube. The quality is sometimes iffy but the accents and enthusiasm come through.

LT7A 01-04-2016 04:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gregski (Post 7430825)

you know what they say sometimes POR15 works in mysterious ways!

[/COLOR][/SIZE]

I'm going to try the Hammertone/Hammerite type paint on some parts next time. I sometimes like the look and sometimes don't, but the rustoleum product seems to do well with making pitted parts look ok, durability, and rust resistance. And it seems to go on well with a brush. I plan to use the POR-15 on the frame and underside of sheetmetal. I have watched your detailed process Greg and it seems that the satin POR comes out nice. Has anyone used the silver?

D13 01-05-2016 12:47 PM

FYI, POR15 is a urethane and cures by absorbing water.... so your dousing hastened the cure... may cause flaking later if it cured too fast to bind to the rusty metal.

Gregski 01-05-2016 08:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LT7A (Post 7434115)
I have watched your detailed process Greg and it seems that the satin POR comes out nice. Has anyone used the silver?

I have, I believe it was silver, if you go back to me painting the transmission, you will see that the silver came out white, and the Greg was not very happy? or was it gray? I forget which

Gregski 01-05-2016 08:42 PM

1 Attachment(s)
OK, now I will show you how to turn this plastic into car parts

flashed 01-05-2016 08:45 PM

Wow ,you really scored .

Gregski 01-05-2016 08:47 PM

3 Attachment(s)
and what do we have here, looks like Santa was a little late this year

This 14 1/2" Grant Classic 5 steering wheel part # 993 MSRPs for $152.43 but I found it on sale at JEGS for $68.38 so I couldn't pass it up, I also bought the proper installation kit for $28 bucks more

Gregski 01-05-2016 08:50 PM

4 Attachment(s)
first I want to show you how ridiculously packaged this wheel is, but no match for any parent who's ever unboxed a Barbie or Tonka truck for their kid

Gregski 01-05-2016 08:51 PM

1 Attachment(s)
also note that I am done with Craftsman tools, they just don't make them like they used to (yes you can still exchange them but SEARS will torture you for your email address and phone number now before handing you the replacement tool)

Gregski 01-05-2016 08:53 PM

2 Attachment(s)
so its worthy to point out all the bits that make up the new steering wheel

IMPORTANT: this is NOT the Installation Kit on the side of the wheel, this is all the stuff that just unscrews from the wheel itself plus three shinny bolts the Constructions (as my 5 year old would say) which you will not use, why they include them I don't know

flashed 01-05-2016 08:58 PM

That new steering wheel looks great ,when do we get to see it installed ? You done yet ????????

Gregski 01-05-2016 08:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by flashed (Post 7436500)
Wow ,you really scored .

thank you aunts, uncles, and parents in law (I still have them fooled, I'm a good guy)

Gregski 01-05-2016 09:01 PM

2 Attachment(s)
ok, now I would like to share with you the Grant Chevy Installation Kit part number 3196, that's an important part number since they have a bizilion kits

Gregski 01-05-2016 09:02 PM

1 Attachment(s)
alright, I hear these JEGS decals are good for 4 extra Horse Power! at least that's what the Ford 5.0 guys claim, jk

Gregski 01-05-2016 09:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by flashed (Post 7436536)
That new steering wheel looks great ,when do we get to see it installed ? You done yet ????????

Thanks, I really like it, and it feels nice and heavy in your hands off the truck, I thought it would be flimzy but it's not.

OK, so lets go over the very easy 5 step steering wheel installation process.

Step 1. Remove old steering wheel

Step 2. Take son to piano lesson

Step 3. Take daughter to dance practice

Step 4. Beg wife to tell you where she hid the new steering wheel you accidentally left adoring the island in the kitchen (after she allegedly repeatedly told you not to bring car parts in the house)

Step 5. Install new steering wheel

pics coming soon...

flashed 01-05-2016 09:09 PM

Waiting .................................................................Im real patient too .................................................................................................... ...................................................

Gregski 01-05-2016 09:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by flashed (Post 7436560)
waiting .................................................................im real patient too .................................................................................................... ...................................................

lol

Jeramy 01-05-2016 09:49 PM

This is genius!

I will be putting out a memo to all my family members and friends notifying them that birthdays and Christmas can now be handled by donations to my truck budget.

With my friends and family i can afford a new steering wheel in about 6 years lol.

LT7A 01-06-2016 05:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gregski (Post 7436483)
I have, I believe it was silver, if you go back to me painting the transmission, you will see that the silver came out white, and the Greg was not very happy? or was it gray? I forget which

Cool, found it in post 819. You bought gray and it was really light gray, often known as white. Then you mixed some black in and turned it into gray. Maybe that's the ticket.

Gregski 01-06-2016 10:39 PM

The GRANT Steering Wheel Installation Instructions are completely horrible!

Jeramy 01-06-2016 10:41 PM

yes they are. had to replace my adapter few weeks ago due to three little bolts stripping out

Gregski 01-06-2016 11:18 PM

2 Attachment(s)
came home from work today and decided to get wheel, had an hour before having to take my daughter coat shopping, no problem I thought, plenty of time to install that Grant steering wheel, I didn't even change into my work clothes just threw on my favorite gray hoodie over my work shirt

I removed the stock steering wheel and plopped down in my little camping red chair and pored over the FOUR sets of instructions, yes not 1 not 2, not 3, but 4 sets of instructions that came with the steering wheel and the installation kit

Too many instructions written by someone on Opposites Day, were only my first problem, non of them tell you where to stop removing the old parts, I mean that seems like a logical question right, you pop off the plastic horn button with a flat screw driver, unscrew the three philips screws in that metal horn ring take that off, then you pull of the steering wheel, so far so good, but then what? Do you keep going? The instructions don't tell you where to stop. The tiny pictures sure look like you have to remove that metal cover to expose that ring with the teeth on it around the outside edges, but nope, I think you leave that metal cover on.

I did not take step by step pictures, because quite frankly I did not know what the heck I was doing.

Then they give you two of everything. Two sets of screws (you end up using the set they tell you may not need, LOL) Two sets of horn wires. Two horn buttons, etc.

They tell you to route the provided horn wire one way, but nope, the hub they give you surely shows you there is a better way to route it.

Now I am not ranting and complaining, I am just sharing with you the experiences and the process I went through that's all.

flashed 01-06-2016 11:27 PM

Still patiently waiting ............................................but its worth the wait ,carry on to your regularly scheduled program.

Gregski 01-06-2016 11:38 PM

2 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by flashed (Post 7437991)
Still patiently waiting ............................................but its worth the wait ,carry on to your regularly scheduled program.

yes, thank you kindly for [ahem] patiently waiting, LOL

here it is, I like how it looks, I will take better pics in the daytime tomorrow, dang it I forgot to lay the new wheel on top of the old one to compare the diameter difference if any

feels wheelie nice!