The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/index.php)
-   The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   Restoring Rusty (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/showthread.php?t=645440)

Gregski 03-05-2016 11:55 AM

Re: Restoring Rusty

Quote:

Originally Posted by enaberif (Post 7510324)
someone has done a timing chain change on that motor. gm used nylon coated upper gears for many years which ended up cracking.

my original chain was way more stretched than yours.

I believe this is all original, the cam gear is very light I thought it was aluminum, but my buddy said its that nylon stuff, it's just really dirty that's all, maybe if I was to clean it up we could confirm for sure

Titomars 03-05-2016 12:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gregski (Post 7510391)
No, I already went further than planned by removing the bell housing, clutch, and fly wheel

I am just going to pretend all that is just good, ha ha

I am planning pretty much the same job as you are doing. Mine needs a cam. It has a bad lobe. It is also one of those "no rev" RV cams. I hate those cams. So we have at the ready, a decent Crane cam (fairly tame), gear drive, a set of Edelbrock aluminum heads, Harland Sharp roller rockers, New Edelbrock intake, NOS Holley 780cfm, NOS Vintage cal custom valve covers and a host of other support parts to go with it. I want my Rat to scream :lol: I would have done this in July or August but my back has been out since June. Just this month it has finally felt better enough to start projects on my truck again.

Titomars 03-05-2016 12:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gregski (Post 7510392)
I believe this is all original, the cam gear is very light I thought it was aluminum, but my buddy said its that nylon stuff, it's just really dirty that's all, maybe if I was to clean it up we could confirm for sure

From the photo it looks like a nylon gear. I am amazed it has made it this far ;)

LT7A 03-05-2016 12:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hatzie (Post 7508900)
I began wondering how and why the transmission was leaking down my shirtsleeve to my elbow when I wasn't under the darn thing. It was me leaking red stuff from a pretty nasty gash in my arm that didn't bleed immediately when I bashed it on something sharp :eek:. It wasn't Dexron II.

I had the opposite experience once, long time ago. Changing trans fluid and filter and old roommate wandered onto the driveway (not car savvy). Half of my upper body was red with Dexron. I rolled out from under the truck and said Hey man, could you give me a hand? Sent him into a panic.

Greg, you've covered many pages since I checked in. Nice work! I really like the methodical approach, operating tables, organ bins and all.

Gregski 03-05-2016 04:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Titomars (Post 7510444)
From the photo it looks like a nylon gear. I am amazed it has made it this far ;)

the general consensus among my self proclaimed "car expert" buddies is that this truck may have indeed only had 35,000 miles on it and not 135K or even 235K since it was a straight up farm truck, either way it don't matter now

Gregski 03-05-2016 04:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LT7A (Post 7510446)
...I really like the methodical approach, operating tables, organ bins and all.

thanks, I love that summary!

Gregski 03-05-2016 04:07 PM

Frustrating day today, the wife is out of town, so you think I would have time to work on the truck, but I gotta take one kid somewherez at 12:00 another at 2:30 then pick up the first at 4:00 and the next at 6:30, I kid you not

sometimes I think to myself, you know what all I wanna do is wrench on my truck, just be left alone, I say to myself, LOOK, I AIN'T BOTHERING NOBODY why can't I just be able to do this

You ever feel like that?

Gregski 03-05-2016 04:15 PM

5 Attachment(s)
somehow I decided to press on

got the passenger side motor mount off, had to excavate the bolt heads to even be able to get the socket on them, they had that much farm crust on them

Gregski 03-05-2016 04:18 PM

4 Attachment(s)
on to the other side, the driver motor mount

observation, the passenger side has the nut welded on to it, the driver side do not

Gregski 03-05-2016 04:20 PM

3 Attachment(s)
spuned her upside down for a looksie

pics sorta blurry, apologies

man I can't wait to get that fugly orange off of her

Gregski 03-05-2016 06:46 PM

these are the numbers off the stock cam 2944 and GM12 and K80 (not sure about the last one)

I can't find any info for that type of cam anywheres except some dude claiming it was a performance cam on eBay that he sold of $18 bucks, LOL

Brent7654 03-06-2016 01:06 AM

Haven't kept up with the forum in a while but junk the stock cam for a slightly More modern version.
What's your plan for the motor?
If you stay flat tappet, on a budget go with a summit tight lobe seperation cam, they are the older but more modern than your stock cam.
JMO,
Brent

rich weyand 03-06-2016 03:12 AM

Comp Cams 12-235-2 or 12-231-2.

Front Range 03-06-2016 11:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gregski (Post 7510632)

You ever feel like that?

Your ability to cope without frustration will get better as you get older and the challenges get harder.

When you get a call at 2am to bail them out of jail, when they move home for a few months in their 20's or 30's, when they go through a divorce and your Grandchild is in the middle, or anytime they do something unwise that you end up fixing - you'll remember fondly the days when running a taxi service was the only requirement. :lol:

D13 03-06-2016 12:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gregski (Post 7510632)
Frustrating day today, the wife is out of town, so you think I would have time to work on the truck, but I gotta take one kid somewherez at 12:00 another at 2:30 then pick up the first at 4:00 and the next at 6:30, I kid you not

sometimes I think to myself, you know what all I wanna do is wrench on my truck, just be left alone, I say to myself, LOOK, I AIN'T BOTHERING NOBODY why can't I just be able to do this

You ever feel like that?

Many times over the past 35 years. At one point I sold all my projects from high school, college, and first 10 years of work time frame since I simply was never going to get to them.
But, my kids and wife know that I will ALWAYS be there to support them (note: not DO for them, support them as THEY do). As I watch them fly, it was worth 20 years of fitting my hobby in the little spots between. Frustrating, yes, I've been working on a simple tractor redo for almost 20 years, as other things rise up above it in priority. But prioritizing family before all else was part of saying 'I Do' and all that has followed. Trucks will always be important but "all true wealth is biological".

Gregski 03-07-2016 01:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Brent7654 (Post 7511241)
Haven't kept up with the forum in a while but junk the stock cam for a slightly More modern version.
What's your plan for the motor?
If you stay flat tappet, on a budget go with a summit tight lobe seperation cam, they are the older but more modern than your stock cam.
JMO,
Brent

I know this thread is huge but in post # 2743 I list the 350 HO Engine Specifications (19210007) I plan to follow

Gregski 03-07-2016 01:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chaplain (Post 7512109)
Family first

true

Gregski 03-07-2016 01:54 AM

I know doing a job like this is a massive undertaking so today since I couldn't work on the truck I made a list of most of the things need doing, before I even start the re assembly process, I share this with you for two reasons, 1. to acknowledge just how much stuff goes into this type of job, and 2. to keep me honest and ensure I get it done

0. make this list
1. clean engine block
2. clean new used vortec cylinder heads (pics coming soon)
3. clean new used vortec intake manifold (pics coming soon)
4. clean K member
5. clean new used radiator support
6. clean motor mounts
7. clean water pump pulley
8. clean crank pulley
9. clean harmonic ballancer
10. clean new used vortec valve covers (pics coming soon)
11. clean timing cover
12. clean oil pan (again)
13. clean new used trans cover (pics coming soon)
14. clean new used trans cross member (pics coming soon)
15. clean new used overdrive transmission (pics coming soon)
----------------------------------------------------------------------
16. paint engine block
17. paint new used cylinder heads
18. paint timing cover
19. paint new mid mount alternator bracket (pics coming soon)
20. paint water pump pulley
21. paint crank pulley
22. paint fan
23. paint harmonic ballancer
24. paint motor mounts
25. paint K member
26. paint new used trans cross member
27. paint new used trans cover
28. paint new used radiator support
29. paint lower grille panel
30. paint chrome trim on grille black

man I wish this forum had strike through text so that as I complete these tasks I could cross them out, know what I mean

Gregski 03-07-2016 02:59 AM

Re: Restoring Rusty - Budget Top End Build

MY BUDGET TOP END UPGRADE COST
---This Page Will Be Updated Over Time---

____________PART________________PART #___________MAKE_______________________COMMENT __________________PRICE

Vortec Cylinder Heads - - - - - - - - - - - - 12558062 - - - - - - Chevrolet Performance - - - - - - - - Used from 99 Suburban - - - - - - - - - - $88

Vortec Dual Plane Intake Manifold * - - - - 12366573 - - - - - - Chevrolet Performance - - - - - - - - - - Used eBay - - - - - - - - - - - $127 => $167 with shipping

Center Bolt Valve Covers ** - - - - - - - - 12355350 - - - - - - Chevrolet Performance - - - - - - - - Used from 99 Suburban - - - - - - - - - - $21

Hydraulic Flat Tappet Camshaft - - - - - - 24502476 - - - - - - Chevrolet Performance - - - - - - - - - - - New JEGS - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - $109

24 Hydraulic Lifters (8 extra) - - - - - - - - 5232720 - - - - - - Chevrolet Performance - - - - - - - - - - - NOS eBay - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - $95

20 Pushrods (4 extra) - - - - - - - - - - - - 14095256 - - - - - - Chevrolet Performance - - - - - - - - - - - NOS eBay - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - $147

Crankshaft Gear - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - 10128346 - - - - - - Chevrolet Performance - - - - - - - - - - GM Parts Direct - - - - - - - - - - - - - - $31

Camshaft Gear - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - 340235 - - - - - - Chevrolet Performance - - - - - - - - - - GM Parts Direct - - - - - - - - - - - - - - $46

Timing Chain - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - 14087014 - - - - - - Chevrolet Performance - - - - - - - - - - GM Parts Direct - - - - - - - - - - - - - - $44

Timing Cover Gasket- - - - - - - - - - - - - 10108435 - - - - - - Chevrolet Performance - - - - - - - - - - GM Parts Direct - - - - - - - - - - - - - - $3

Valve Seals - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - 10212810 - - - - - - Chevrolet Performance - - - - - - - - - - - - - eBay - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - $13

Valve Cover Gaskets - - - - - - - - - - - - 10046089 - - - - - - Chevrolet Performance - - - - - - - - - - - - - eBay - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - $26

Head Gaskets - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - 10105117 - - - - - - Chevrolet Performance - - - - - - - - - - - - - JEGS - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - $38

Intake Manifold Gaskets - - - - - - - - - - - 1255 - - - - - - - - - - - - Fel-Pro - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - JEGS - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - $23

Water Pump Gaskets - - - -- - - - - - - - - - 5152 - - - - - - - - - - - - Fel-Pro - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - AutoZone- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - $3

Thermostat Gasket - - - -- - - - - - - - - - - 35062 - - - - - - - - - - - Fel-Pro - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - AutoZone- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - $2

========================================================================= TOTAL $857

* new Intake Manifold is required because the Vortec cylinder heads have a different valley angle

** new Valve Covers are required because the Vortec cylinder heads use center mounted valve covers

in some instances Extra parts were bought because that's how the lots came from eBay, so I was forced to overbuy

NOS stands for New Old Stock

Timing Set had to be purchased as individual components since a kit did not exist

deejaaa1 03-07-2016 03:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gregski (Post 7505930)
.....I'm thinking of painting it green, the color of the car instead of black, what do you all think?

sorry, i'm ol' (51 yo)school. keep it black.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gregski (Post 7507556)
I was hoping to put in 2 hours tonight, but ended up putting in 4, so needless to say it was soon Beer:30

~ that's all for today folks

finally, a real beer! none of that 'lite' stuff for me.
now i see why you called it "rusty".
cool build and i like your humor. it goes a LONG way now a days.

Titomars 03-07-2016 04:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gregski (Post 7512726)
MY BUDGET TOP END UPGRADE COST
---This Page Will Be Updated Over Time---

____________PART________________PART #___________MAKE_______________________COMMENT __________________PRICE

Vortec Cylinder Heads - - - - - - - - - - - - 12558062 - - - - - - Chevrolet Performance - - - - - - - - Used from 99 Suburban - - - - - - - - - - $88

Vortec Dual Plane Intake Manifold * - - - - 12366573 - - - - - - Chevrolet Performance - - - - - - - - - - Used eBay - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - $127

Center Bolt Valve Covers ** - - - - - - - - 12355350 - - - - - - Chevrolet Performance - - - - - - - - Used from 99 Suburban - - - - - - - - - - $21

Hydraulic Flat Tappet Camshaft - - - - - - 24502476 - - - - - - Chevrolet Performance - - - - - - - - - - - New JEGS - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - $109

24 Hydraulic Lifters (8 extra) - - - - - - - - 5232720 - - - - - - Chevrolet Performance - - - - - - - - - - - NOS eBay - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - $95

20 Pushrods (4 extra) - - - - - - - - - - - - 14095256 - - - - - - Chevrolet Performance - - - - - - - - - - - NOS eBay - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - $147

Crankshaft Gear - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - 10128346 - - - - - - Chevrolet Performance - - - - - - - - - - GM Parts Direct - - - - - - - - - - - - - - $31

Camshaft Gear - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - 340235 - - - - - - Chevrolet Performance - - - - - - - - - - GM Parts Direct - - - - - - - - - - - - - - $46

Timing Chain - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - 14087014 - - - - - - Chevrolet Performance - - - - - - - - - - GM Parts Direct - - - - - - - - - - - - - - $44

========================================================================= TOTAL $708

* new Intake Manifold is required because the Vortec cylinder heads have a different valley angle

** new Valve Covers are required because the Vortec cylinder heads use center mounted valve covers

in some instances Extra parts were bought because that's how the lots came from eBay, so I was forced to overbuy

NOS stands for New Old Stock

Timing Set had to be purchased as individual components since a kit did not exist

Hah!!
Just one of my heads cost 2 times what your entire list totals.
If I posted my shopping list it would probably scare you. :lol:

Gregski 03-07-2016 10:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Titomars (Post 7512758)
Hah!!
Just one of my heads cost 2 times what your entire list totals.
If I posted my shopping list it would probably scare you. :lol:

but don't you got one of them BBC, Big Beautiful Chevrolet? lol

68post 03-07-2016 01:43 PM

Greg , the engine looks to be fairly dirty inside , not sure it could just have 35 thou - unless it only had 3 oil changes. May want to replace crank seals too and are you going to replace the oil pump ? They're cheap ! (with all that oil - you'd think they wouldn't wear - huh .. ?)

Gregski 03-07-2016 01:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 68post (Post 7513132)
Greg , the engine looks to be fairly dirty inside , not sure it could just have 35 thou - unless it only had 3 oil changes. May want to replace crank seals too and are you going to replace the oil pump ? They're cheap ! (with all that oil - you'd think they wouldn't wear - huh .. ?)

Hi Tim

The oil pump and pickup screen is brand new, I replaced it a few months ago when I did the rear main seal and the oil pan gasket.

Gregski 03-07-2016 02:40 PM

Re: Restoring Rusty - Cheat Sheet

Man I can't find squat on my own thread, lol time to create a Cheat Sheet

THREAD - TASK

16 - Carb Rebuild

334 - Intake Manifold

1110 - Tailgate

1190 - Hood

1447 - Power Steering

1561 - Radio

1745 - Gauge Cluster

1871 - Bed