The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/index.php)
-   The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   Finally got a rig (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/showthread.php?t=472733)

kcabbie 07-03-2011 02:29 AM

Finally got a rig

2 Attachment(s)
Drove past this truck yesterday morning on the way to work. I made a u-turn and snatched it up quick. Has a granny 4 speed and a 5.7 that was just rebuilt. Runs great, '82 model, no smoke or leaks. Strong truck. It orginally came with a 7.6 or something.. I can't remember exactly. I just know it was a HUGE engine, and was gasoline. I thinkg a 468?

Anyways, it has a/c in the cab(vents and controls) but no compressor on the engine. There is a bracket on the top right for a compressor, and has everything else aside from the two lines that go to and from the A/c. The blower works on the ac and I just want to double check that i can use any compressor of any 5.0 or 5.7 etc.

Sadly, this is my first sbc. So I lack many of the things that I should already know. I plan on putting a 5 speed out of a newer truck along with possibly a 3.73 rear end.(has 4.10)
Thanks for any advice

Kasey

gofastbobby 07-03-2011 02:34 AM

Re: Finally got a rig

Nice looking truck man.

pumpgas 07-03-2011 08:17 AM

Hell they had to spend almost the asking price in spray paint for the liquid over hall they gave it. Other wise killer truck for the money.

old Rusty C10 07-03-2011 10:28 AM

looks great welcome aboard... the 1982 had a short compressor on it so as long as the compressor mount on that engine is for a shorty compressor then you should be good to go

meter swinger 07-04-2011 12:07 AM

nice rig, and even better bed that bed is awesome!

Hoods69BadBowTie 07-04-2011 12:40 AM

Sweet looking truck defiantly different! That 5 speed tranny swap would be cool and changing gears would make a huge difference as well.
Posted via Mobile Device

80stepsideguy 07-04-2011 12:45 AM

Nice truck,
probably had a 454 in it(7.4). Gonna leave it alone or put a stepside/fleetside bed on it?

thanks
Pat

kcabbie 07-04-2011 12:13 PM

Thanks for all the compliments! I'm defiantly going to leave the bed on it. Kind of the reason i got it. I'll snap a pick of the engine so you guys can see the bracket.

The guy i had it from didn't know a lot about what he was doing. First, the ignition wires were laying on the manifold so of course, I'm cruising at 65 and it dies. Takes twenty minutes to find the problem on the side of the road at midnight. Then, the spark plug wire is laying on the manifold. Which leads me to notice the wires are in the complete wrong order.

So, reset the timing, hooked up the plugs. Now it's a totally different engine. You can tell it actually has glass packs.

This truck vibrates more than anything I've ever ridden in. Alot did stop after the plugs and timing was fixed, but still A lot. And there is a very annoying tinging sound when you go full throttle from about half throttle.

It's got a few bugs to fix, but it's a great runner and believe it or not that paint job looks pretty good up close. I do plan on repainting the cab.

kcabbie 07-04-2011 08:13 PM

anyone have any ideas on the bad vibration? Starts around mid range in the rpm's.

J Knight 07-04-2011 08:26 PM

Does it do it going down the road or parked? Maybe clutch, fly wheel, or hamonic balancer.

kcabbie 07-04-2011 09:09 PM

Road and parked. Sometimes its not bad, but then the next time i take off it will start again. There is also a noise that is associated with vibration, it comes from under the hood.
Is there anything i can do to check the clutch, harmonic balancer, or the flywheel?

I could hear a vacuume leak on the carb when i set the timing and today i noticed a outlet on the carb that was not covered or hooked up to a hose. It has a quadrajet, I plan on switching this soon.

Thanks for the input!

Your41Plague12 07-04-2011 11:40 PM

That vacuum leak is probably not letting you time it 100% correctly. You can probably get it close, but the "pinging" sound won't go away unless you cap it off and re-time it. If you try to time out the noise, it'll probably just sputter when you accelerate quickly. Had the same problem on mine.

sumran 07-05-2011 08:56 AM

Would love to see some additional pictures of the bed.

kcabbie 07-05-2011 11:30 AM

Will definatly snap some pics of the bed. I really like the way it is designed. Also, if i get a pic of the outlet on the carb would you be able to tell if it just needs to be capped off?
thanks!

thirdstreettito 07-05-2011 05:16 PM

I'll trade you my 88! :)

Nice truck!

kcabbie 07-05-2011 09:29 PM

Thanks but i dont think my old lady would let me lol
I took a vid of the noise. It's more of a squeek sound in the video. Trying to get it uploaded now.

kcabbie 07-05-2011 11:09 PM

The video is taking another hour to upload. I also noticed that the volt meter was at 18, in the red. So i cut the heater on and it went back to normal, and the temp went down a little.

kcabbie 07-06-2011 09:32 PM

Sorry it took so long, finally got the video uploaded.
I plan on friday buying a new distributor cap. Hopefully that will fix some stuff.
I am buying a flex fan as well to hopefully fix the over heating problem. I cut the engine off yesterday, then opened the hood and the fan was still spining. So i'm guessing the fan clutch is gone.

Anyways, here is the vid. The sound is the squeeking noise. Any ideas? The piece i cover and point to is the vacume port. Should this be hooked up or blocked off? It sucks if that means anything.

DarkReaper79 07-06-2011 09:56 PM

the squeek sounds like a loose belt to me. My 73 used to do that too.

kcabbie 07-06-2011 10:59 PM

It does not sound like a squeek in person. Its more like a rapid clicking noise. Not like a rod though.

There is a choke cable running through the firewall to the cab but is not hooked up to anything. There is also a black round object on the passenger side of the carb that is where i would think it would hook up, but it just has a tab on a philips screw that spins?

Also, before i set the timming it would crank up no problem. Now, when it cranks over it sounds like it has really high compression pistons. Like it's hard for the starter to turn the engine over. Timming to advanced? I plan on getting a timming light soon. If so, do i turn the distributor cap clock wise to retard the timing?

Thanks for any advice.

thirdstreettito 07-07-2011 09:37 AM

Check your head gaskets, a pinhole can make a squeek like that.

bmchevy1979 07-07-2011 09:24 PM

Does it have any emissions equipment on it because that is were the smog pump would go if I am not mistaken and yes it should be capped otherwise

kcabbie 07-07-2011 10:32 PM

No, no emisisons. It has straight exhaust. Just a plain jane simple engine. I'll cap it off then. Also, if i pull the heads i'm going to put a better set on. Probably some vortec heads. There is a guy that sells a carb and manifold set that are designed for vortec heads.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/carbu...item19c5e9ca15

does this sound like an okay deal?
Thanks